ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cat cam 438 correct timing, who can help?

getikte

ClioSport Club Member
okay so my ITB build is nearing completion, just have some small tinkering to do and withing a couple of weeks it should (fingers crossed) be ready for mapping at EFI. Prior to that i am wanting to get the engine timed correctly to suit the 438 catcams i have fitted (i believe they need timed to 421 settings)

The engine is currently timed to factory settings however is there someone out there who can help in timing the engine correctly to best compliment the cams and ITB's. Im based in Newcastle but happy to take the car anywhere in the UK if it means getting the best out of it.

Any recommendations are much appreciated, if there is anyone on here who can do the work please get in touch!

26234169_10155166331532393_1586446667_n.jpg

getikte

ClioSport Club Member
sure ive heard his name floating around before, im pretty sure people recommend to time the 438s up as the 421s for the best results. at least thats what a couple mates were told at RS tuning when having their engines mapped up with 438s at standard timing

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Contact catcams first to see what they say, pretty sure it'll be standard settings

getikte

ClioSport Club Member
this is the reply i had from EFI when in talks regarding the mapping

Thats right – in short, the 438 has the same lobe profiles as the 421, and with the 421 being more suited to ITB’s you should re-time the 438’s such that they act like 421’s. From memory the inlet timing is fine Mark but you need to move the exhaust cam. I don’t work with them mechanically Mark so it’s not the sort of thing I’d remember I’m afraid, but if you go to Catcams website and look at the specification of the 438 and compare it with the 421 you’ll be able to see how many degrees it needs to turn, and in which way.

421 spec

upload_2018-1-5_11-6-3.png

438 spec

upload_2018-1-5_11-3-29.png

Only difference i can see is to the lobe exhaust angle by 8 degrees

dan's cast offs.
give me a shout if you want it sorting, i'm only about half hour from chris as well.

Phase2 172
@getikte Did you ever suss out what the settings were to time the cams? i have 438s at the mo and recently fitted ITBs, ive actually lost torque over the standard inlet! im hoping if i can time my 438s to 421 timing it may help ?‍♂️