ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cat D Nightmare

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You're car is epic Jim, if I was in the market for a mint cup with extras then your's would be the car id buy.

Good luck matey.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think he had his pants pulled down but I got mine fully pulled down and a jolly good rodgering to boot.

At least they lubed up.

If they went in dry, you'd have £4k of outstanding finance on it too...

I bought a cup a few years ago advertised as a Cat D but I HPI'd it anyways and it was also a Cat c. It was cheap enough so I bought it anyways and when I got it home and stripped the interior out it has a whole new side and roof welded in. There were also gaps where the floor pan met the side panels where you could see through to the driveway.

Cup In bits
Question.

A car that's been recorded by insurers as a total loss cat d but not recorded as a repaired insurance total loss.

Is that cosher to sell or buy?

Definitely worth checking, i went to look at a ph2 clio, looked in very good condition and the buyer had said it was totally HPI clear, on the way to viewing i decided to check for myself, had actually been a CAT C which could mean anything, could have been a very nasty surprise.

PB Clio 172
I don't see why the op are gutted? like someone already said a cat d on a 10 year old car is nothing

my car is a cat d and has been by the far the best car I have ever owned

Question.

A car that's been recorded by insurers as a total loss cat d but not recorded as a repaired insurance total loss.

Is that cosher to sell or buy?

They either write it off or fix it. If they fix it nothing will appear on an HPI and it won't be any cat.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I don't see why the op are gutted? like someone already said a cat d on a 10 year old car is nothing

my car is a cat d and has been by the far the best car I have ever owned

Did you know your car was a cat d when you bought it?

PB Clio 172
no didn't find out till I got the V5 !

but it didn't bother me when I found out its all straight and checked by insurance etc.

like mine cat D can mean ... well not a lot in some cases

Clio Cup
Sisters fiesta was bought cat D - driven through a deep puddle and conrod came out the side of the block

she isnt arsed , new engine in it and a 10 plate fiesta for 3.5k - super cheap way to into a car she could never have afforded otherwise

there are lots of repaired cars out there that would be cat d if they had be claimed through insurance

Cup In bits
They either write it off or fix it. If they fix it nothing will appear on an HPI and it won't be any cat.

That can't be true as there is two boxes which will detail if its been categorised and then if its been repaired.

My question is, are you allowed to have a car on the road (no trouble getting mot/tax/insurance) that is a category D but yet it has not been repaired by insurance.

Would the insurance sell the car to whomever and then they can put it back on the road with no SVA test or the likes??

That can't be true as there is two boxes which will detail if its been categorised and then if its been repaired.

My question is, are you allowed to have a car on the road (no trouble getting mot/tax/insurance) that is a category D but yet it has not been repaired by insurance.

Would the insurance sell the car to whomever and then they can put it back on the road with no SVA test or the likes??

They write it off then sell the car to salvage.
Cat c and d can be bought by anyone and are first offered to the insured in some cases.
Cat b and a can only go to a registered licenced salvage co and can never go back on the road
Insurance companies never have anything to do with the repair of cat c or d cars .

A car can have big damage and not be recorded .

I have had a company mondeo reshelled ... no record
My lexus had just under 9k in damage , if it had been written off would have been a c or d , as it was it got repaired .... no record

And yes you can legally drive a unrepaired cat c or d on the road if it passes an mot

Think about it you could have every panel keyed on a clio and it be an insurance right off but perfectly useable .

Wanna buy a cheap cat d rangerover ?

http://www.hbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/zyview/D=vehicles/V=bidding/R=5349378

Thats how alot of cars are bought repaired and resold

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
They write it off then sell the car to salvage.
Cat c and d can be bought by anyone and are first offered to the insured in some cases.
Cat b and a can only go to a registered licenced salvage co and can never go back on the road
Insurance companies never have anything to do with the repair of cat c or d cars .

A car can have big damage and not be recorded .

I have had a company mondeo reshelled ... no record
My lexus had just under 9k in damage , if it had been written off would have been a c or d , as it was it got repaired .... no record

And yes you can legally drive a unrepaired cat c or d on the road if it passes an mot

Think about it you could have every panel keyed on a clio and it be an insurance right off but perfectly useable .

Wanna buy a cheap cat d rangerover ?

http://www.hbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/zyview/D=vehicles/V=bidding/R=5349378

Thats how alot of cars are bought repaired and resold

Cheers Harvey, that's what I thought it was just the doubt that paprika put in my mind with what he said.

It could have been a blow engine or even something more trivial like a rear beam etc with the current market value on RS clio's.

You can have the RR, I been as well burn my money rather than owning one of them.

Cheers Harvey, that's what I thought it was just the doubt that paprika put in my mind with what he said.

It could have been a blow engine or even something more trivial like a rear beam etc with the current market value on RS clio's.

You can have the RR, I been as well burn my money rather than owning one of them.

It just hapened to be the first on the aution site ..... but cat d can be fine