ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CAT Gone? RAC called..

MK2 172 FF
Driving to work tonight my car was VERY under powered. I could not get it over 2k in any gear. Revved freely when out of gear but not as free as it normally does.
When in gear its very very under powered and judders like its going to stall.
Managed to get to a layby and called the RAC. THe guy wasn't much help but did suggest it was the CAT. However, there was no eggy smell which i thought that there would be if the cat was fcuked.?!?!
There was also no diagnositc code on his mahcine either. The only thing i have done is clean the throttle pedal connector with some electrical spray cleaner but can't see it been that was its not been running right the past couple of days.

Any help guys?

MK2 172 FF
surely this would throw a fault code up though?
I was thinking of taking the cat off and driving it to see if it was any better but not sure how this would perform without the lambda sensors in.?

sophiesdad

ClioSport Club Member
  anything i get
surely this would throw a fault code up though?
I was thinking of taking the cat off and driving it to see if it was any better but not sure how this would perform without the lambda sensors in.?

yes give that a go ,
does it run rough just idling ?

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Also, check your alloys are not getting hot, sounds silly but it could be a badly sticking brake caliper.

MK2 172 FF
lol, only slightly but then it starts to judder so have not wanted to push it anymore with fear of breaking a mount

MK2 172 FF
hmmmmmm, the plod thickens, unfortunately.

Will get the plugs out this afternoon then and see if the are sooted up. Guessing this would show me if they were fooked.

If its not them Fred where do you suggest i check next?

MK2 172 FF
Changed the plug and they were black. However, it has made no difference at all.

Any further ideas anyone?

MK2 172 FF
i know, cheers fred. Just taken the 1st lambda sensor out and it doesnt run any free-er just alot louder

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Coilpack is the most obvious answer, fairly cheap part to buy and return if it doesn't fix the problem ;)

MK2 172 FF
i wouldn't have thought that it would start if it was the coli pack tbh or if it did start i would have thought it would stall pretty quick

Da

Less
Any videos?

Does it sound like this -

th_15122009059.jpg

Ignoring the fact it's a Yozza exhaust.

MK2 172 FF
at work atm and have no speakers. Its sounds like i have a big Max Power cone air filter on when i rev it. Will have a look this afternoon at that vid when i get in from work DA

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
as fred said cats are a rare failure.
lambda sensors dont always throw up a fault code.
i would go with leads or coil pack as they could be breaking down under load, so would start fine and run until you want to drive it.

MK2 172 FF
Ok, well by the description of your symptoms I would guess at the MAP sensor.

Have a look here - page 7.

Yeah that does sound similar. Ive seen a MAP sensor on ebay for £23.50 delivered. Still again i would have thought that the MAP sensor would have come up on the diagnostic machine

as fred said cats are a rare failure.
lambda sensors dont always throw up a fault code.
i would go with leads or coil pack as they could be breaking down under load, so would start fine and run until you want to drive it.

So how would this explain the plugs been sooted up?

Da

Less
MAP didn't show anything on the diag with mine, which is why it took so long to diagnose.

MK2 172 FF
hmmmm, in two minds what to do now then.
Plugs £12
Map sensor £23.50
Coil Pack and HT leads £35
CAT £140

I also had trouble with a map that i loaded on from an RS Tuner and Henk thought that there was a problem with the throttle around 4k. Not sure if these problems are related or not.

alien green rs133
feck paying for a cat, take of join behind and have a look in, i have seen a 172 one melt and turn 90 degree.s blocking the exhaust. knocked it out with a big bar. car runs lovely now :D

Westy. MX5
Plugs £12
Map sensor £23.50
CAT £140

I also had trouble with a map that i loaded on from an RS Tuner and Henk thought that there was a problem with the throttle around 4k. Not sure if these problems are related or not.

Try the cheapest parts 1st.

Lionel Richie
Plugs £12
Map sensor £23.50
CAT £140

erm where are you getting your parts?

plugs £40
MAP sensor £90
Coil pack and leads £200
CAT £500