ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ceramic Coatings???

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Yo!

Whats the crack with these (e.g. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light)?

Any worse/better than a quality police and wax?

Pros/Cons? Worth the cost?

My car is going on for a front end respray and is also booked in for a detail...Currently its booked in for a correction and protection application.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Pros: longer lasting, better water repellency, easier to maintain
Cons: cost, application is longer/harder

Well worth it if you are already booked in for protection to be applied. Short term it costs more, but works out cheaper in the long term if maintained correctly.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Pros: longer lasting, better water repellency, easier to maintain
Cons: cost, application is longer/harder

Well worth it if you are already booked in for protection to be applied. Short term it costs more, but works out cheaper in the long term if maintained correctly.

How long does it last for?

Massively more expensive?

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Most coatings I've seen can last 18 months to 2 years. Waxes you're looking at 6 months tops for the most durable (excluding Fusso Soft 99 which is apparently a year).

Costs about the same price as a decent wax, but you are obviously looking at less applications from a small bottle of coating compared to a tub of wax. Then it takes longer to apply due to it having to be heat cured using heat lamps. As an example, Polished Bliss charge an extra £360 for Gyeon Q2 Mohs+ and an extra £720 for Gyeon Q2 Quartz. This is instead of Swissvax wax which is an extra £60. However, this is Polished Bliss we're talking about.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Most coatings I've seen can last 18 months to 2 years. Waxes you're looking at 6 months tops for the most durable (excluding Fusso Soft 99 which is apparently a year).

Costs about the same price as a decent wax, but you are obviously looking at less applications from a small bottle of coating compared to a tub of wax. Then it takes longer to apply due to it having to be heat cured using heat lamps. As an example, Polished Bliss charge an extra £360 for Gyeon Q2 Mohs+ and an extra £720 for Gyeon Q2 Quartz. This is instead of Swissvax wax which is an extra £60. However, this is Polished Bliss we're talking about.

Cheers for that...That sounds really expensive?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Well worth it mate, just look on You Tube at some of them after a year, they're another ball game to wax and polish. No one should have a detail on a daily car by a Pro and not have a ceramic coating, even if you wanted to wax over the top eventaully.

Exo and C1 is pretty good. I wouldn't stray from CarPro or Gtechniq, the back up support etc is what you want.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Thanks guys...

The offering is G3 Glasscoat sealant, with a durability of 5 years....Not sure how accurate this is though???

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It won't last 5 years but it's decent stuff. It was one of the first on the market actually. Not sure if they evolved it like the other companies.

Can he offer anything else? G3 is pretty cheap and usually a manufacturer offers as a new age supaguard.

With CS Light, it hasn't been out all that long, but application is slightly easier than Gtechniq C1, but with more risk attached.

The first time I applied CS Light I missed some unbuffed residue on the gloss black window trim. Nothing would shift it other than the machine polisher, so I'm confident it will long outlast a wax or even C1.

Get your guy to top it with C2v3 or EXO to give it some beading/sheeting and much easier cleaning qualities.

Just noticed your looking at G3 Glasscoat, I was pleasantly surprised with the durability/beading on a car kept outside that I applied this to for a dealership. Didn't help them sell the thing for 8 months though lol.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Thanks for taking the time to respond guys, I really appreciate it.

I think he currently only offers G3 (it's the only ceramic advertised on his site). I text him earlier and he gave me a ballpark figure of £375 for full correction and G3 application (£300 for correction and wax application).

My car isn't a daily, more of a garage queen that gets used in all weathers (I do about 5k per year).

It's going in for a front end respray and new hood (total cost 2.5k) so ideally I didn't want to go overboard on the detail front costs.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Sounds good then.

Sweet, cheers fella.

Can you polish and wax over the top? Is there any point?

What if you get a scratch and remove it with some cutting compound? do you need to reapply the G3?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
£300 for a full correction? Flol

Would love to see the state of that

The paint work is already in very good condition and it's going in for a front end respray by a top end bodyshop.

He's quoted a ballpark figure based on its current condition (minor correction). Apparent;y a day and a half will cover the time needed to do the work.

It may be more costly on the day but I hope not as I'm already forking out a ton for the spray work and new hood.

He's a well regarded detailed who works out of the north Manchester area. If you know the area you'll probably know who I'm referring to.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Had quite a few of my motors done now and it makes cleaning them a piece of piss.

Also hydro2 every now and again and you're jamming.

My Audi has done circa 50k and 2 years and it still looks brand new after a quick wash as the dirt just won't stick.

Wax is dead lol

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Carpros Cquartz UK has been on my Audi over 2 years now and still going very strong. Washes extremely easy and looks great after a quick wash.