ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Change car OR mod my 172?

Clio 172
Hi y'all,

I currently have a Clio 172 and I don't know what to do. It's too slow, I can either do a few mods or get a new motor.

I used to have a chipped Williams 2, which I loved, stuck to the road like a limpet and went like stink from low revs all the way through the range but cost an arm and both legs to run. My 172 feels dead below 4000rpm. I was thinking maybe group N phase 2 ecu remap and decat pipe? What do you all think, will that help a bit? I don't want to spend too much, not really over £500 on mods.

OR, I can sell up and get a 2000/2001 Impreza turbo, but I'm a little worried about running cost nightmares I've heard about. Also is the 172 cup much better than my bog standard 172, worth a swap? I kind of like Xenons and leather!!

Help please,

John

Yaris Hybrid
Unless you spend big bucks and face a running cost and/or reliability hit you won't massively improve performance - whether you do that through modifying or buying a different car.

Clio 172
Aye, cheers, I read through that thread, think with the cupra R I'd have a similar problem but with a heavier less involving car.

Is the cup much better than the standard 172?

clio 172 cup
not going to get much for 500 quid.G.D.I do a performance pack for 1500 includes manifold work,billet cams,re-map and rr session.Expect to get around 195bhp,you may break the 200bhp mark with induction and exhaust.My mates got a scooby sti.He calls it a MONEY MAGNET.Lol

172CUP/Fiesta supersport
the remap will give pretty decent(noticable) gains low down, torque and throttle response on mine from low revs is now great! I also have a k-tec SS exhaust and an ITG panel. Mine is a cup BTW.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
If you're modding becuase the 172 is too slow for you change.

If you're modding because the 172 is fine but you want a little extra umph then it might be worth it.

Clio 172
Hi there Philmots,

Where abouts in Headingly do they do the remap, how much is it and is it the group N phase 2 ecu remap?

Cheers

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Hi there Philmots,

Where abouts in Headingly do they do the remap, how much is it and is it the group N phase 2 ecu remap?

Cheers

Hyde Park, Leeds mate, get yourself to RS Tuning, pmurray on here.

Had mine re-mapped to get a nice increase in low down torque.

With your £500, choose from
RS Tuning Re-map - £275 all in.
Matched Manifold from BenR [Angelworks] or stan* - £ 140
Stainless Cat back? Your choice, from about £ 230 - £ 350? Powerflow, Pro-speed, K-TEC.
ITG Panel filter - £45, try BRUN on here.

James

change it mate...i would defo go for a turbo next time either a vrs fabia tdi or a seat ibiza cupra with the 1.8 20v turbo engine...but i cant cos i am stuck with my car cos of finance ha ha and would love the money to spend on mine and make if silly quick!!!

IMO for £500 you arent going to make much difference and it probably isnt worth it.

If you do go all out and strip it put coilovers and spend a couple of grand on the engine you will have a much better 'drivers' car then say an LCR or subaru.

I met 'Loony' a few weeks back and we went out in my clio for a short blast then his (dads?) mk5 golf gti. My clio felt rampant compared to his rather sedate golf. You could feel the turbos torque but it felt big and heavy.

I have also driven an sti which was quick but handling wise I was quite dissappointed it definately didnt mask its size and weight very well.

I dont think a DC2 is any quicker then a 172 and due to less torque would probably feel slower?

As cars progress they get bigger heavier and more detached. Maybe buying a secondhand Williams isnt such a bad idea ;)