ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changed springs have I messed it up ??

Just replaced the springs on my 172 thought I had done them right however its fine when driving normally but when turning tight i.e parking I can hear the springs groaning and then turning on the shock under full lock I can even feel it on steering wheel. Have I done something wrong :$

They look to be , Im just wondering if they have twisted when I tightened the top mount I do tend to evertighten stuff !

Just realised I tightened the strut top nut tight before locking it off so I could have twisted spring around a bit :$

Long time since I played mechanic lol

172 cup
Hi mate, glad you like the springs. As you say check the haven't twisted round, they will normally seat fine if they have a bit, but equally it can make the top cap slip off the spring causing it to sit at a slant.

Yup the missus is well happy with them ( she drives it 95% of the time ) will check them tomorrow. Just hoping I have built struts back up right as I did it from memory and it seemed straight forward might try and find an exploded diagram to double check though lol

Need some help here :banghead:

Springs are seated right and checked top mounts but its still turning the springs with the steering , Can feel it on the road never mind tight turning !!!

So im just assuming im a numpty is it possible to put the top of the struts back together wrong?? I have noticed the top hat sits tight upto the strut top and from pics i have seen there seems to be a gap? Wondering if i have something the wrong way around i.e the rubber with bearing in?

Failing that is it even possible to get the springs the wrong way around, it did not look like it but im getting desperate now need to get car back for re-test. Car was fine before i changed springs no creaks at all.

Its all back on there ,The only thing I can think is its in the wrong order maybe? Just dropping struts back off now should have taken pics :-/

Sorted now in my rush I had managed to rebuild the struts wrong :$ On a plus note i'm now quite good at removing and refitting struts lol

Missus has given it another test drive and says it seems to be riding and handling a lot better so hopefully it will be o.k on tomorrows re test for MOT

Thanks again