ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing a 172 for a Cup

I am considering changing my Mk 2, 172 for a Cup and wanted to get a feel for where everyone thinks the best place is to buy a Cup, (Renault dealer or broker) and what sort of deals are available.

Has anyone else changed from a 172 to a Cup and what do you think?

GR7

Shiny red R32

Dont buy one from this company!

Car importer Topkarz

Internet car importer Topkarz has closed to business and is being placed into liquidation. This leaves an unknown number of customers without the cars that they ordered. They could also be left out of pocket if they paid deposits direct to Topkarz.

Customers’ cash may be safe so long as it was held in a separate account to which the company had no right of access without authorisation, or if deposits were passed on to supplying dealers.

Just ordered a CUP today for £12150 from a Renault dealer. Have a CUP lease car through Arnold Clark. Wanted to own one due to track use and future modes,enquired how much they wanted and they came back with £11700, 7 months old with 7500 on the clock.

I

172 Cup, Caterham R300

I changed from a mk 2 172.
The Cup goes round corners a little better with slightly less body roll.
The 172 is better in town on bumpy roads.
No abs on the Cup has caught me out on a few occasions.
The 172 is more confident in the wet, I felt slightly braver in it, maybe due to the body roll making the car slightly more forgiving.
On a good road in good conditions the Cup is slightly better.

neil.p

Thanks for the response everyone.

It was interesting what neil.p said. I do a lot of miles as i use my car for work, but performance is every thing to me. I would miss the creature comforts of the 172 (climate control, cd changer, leather etc) but if the performance gains were worth it i would change. I went to the Midalands meet today and saw two really nice Cups, hence the post.

matt_arrundle - my 172 is iceburg silver, even though i say it myself it looks great.

If performance is everything, would you not consider getting something slightly older and much faster than a Cup? Surely a Cup cant be significantly fast enough to warrant changing :confused:

I know that Im tempted to sell up and change, but it certainly wouldnt be to get a virtually identical car. I know people will jump on me and tell me that the Cup is totally different, but its still a Mk2 Clio with the same 172 bhp engine in it, so in my eyes, is similar enough!! Plus, I would miss the creature comforts too much!

Just my view and all that!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by mikeherts on 06 April 2003

If performance is everything, would you not consider getting something slightly older and much faster than a Cup? Surely a Cup cant be significantly fast enough to warrant changing :confused:

I know that Im tempted to sell up and change, but it certainly wouldnt be to get a virtually identical car. I know people will jump on me and tell me that the Cup is totally different, but its still a Mk2 Clio with the same 172 bhp engine in it, so in my eyes, is similar enough!! Plus, I would miss the creature comforts too much!

Just my view and all that!

Agreed, surely you would be better off getting something comletely different. They just arent different enough to warrent a change in my eyes.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 06 April 2003

Dont buy one from this company!

Car importer Topkarz

Internet car importer Topkarz has closed to business and is being placed into liquidation. This leaves an unknown number of customers without the cars that they ordered. They could also be left out of pocket if they paid deposits direct to Topkarz.

Customers’ cash may be safe so long as it was held in a separate account to which the company had no right of access without authorisation, or if deposits were passed on to supplying dealers.

I know.. a friend had a 6 grand deposit down on a new car.. doesnt think he will see it agian.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by ste172cliomk2 on 06 April 2003

I am considering changing my Mk 2, 172 for a Cup and wanted to get a feel for where everyone thinks the best place is to buy a Cup, (Renault dealer or broker) and what sort of deals are available.

I dont think it would be worth it.. you would be giving up all the luxuries of the 172 for what ? .2 of a second quicker to 60 ?

GR7

Shiny red R32

Also, Cups all look the same - no colour choice!

At least there are four different colours of 172 available!

;)

Agreed, its a pain in the arse they are all the same colour! There are a few around my area now and feel a right prat to see everyone driving exactly the same cars. Definitely getting rid of the Clio now, cut price to 11 grand with all my mods if anyones interested!

I think its good theyre all the same colour..

I reckon a 172 owner would get bored of the Cup, after the novelty of going everywhere a bit faster youll probably miss what you had. Unless of course you take it on track often.

-Rob

Subaru Forrester

I was thinking of changing my Mk1 172 for a cup - but to be honest after going to have a good look at the Cup the interior is horrid and the seats are way too poor.

If youre doing lots of miles miles for work like me then Id say stick with the 172. Performance gains arent enough for the drop in spec...

clio williams, Ph1 172

Why dont you just take a few bits of your 172 and make it lighter, then lower it slightly. Wont be no difference then. If the cup has a different ECU like ive heard people say why dont you just chip yours and then it should be just as quick. Id buy a cup I think myself cos I like the colour so much. But then again if 172s came in the same colour id probably opt for one of them. Just for the better seats if nothing else.

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 07 April 2003

Quote: Originally posted by ste172cliomk2 on 06 April 2003

I dont think it would be worth it.. you would be giving up all the luxuries of the 172 for what ? .2 of a second quicker to 60 ?

The difference between a Cup and 172 is very noticeable I can pull about 1 car on a 172 to 60 and from 2nd to third there is a very noticeable difference between them (IF you both floor it at the same time and are side by side). KDF_ you from Edinburgh? Im over most nights seeing my GF so we could maybe have a mini meet? I really dont think there is just a weight saving with the Cup I really think they have more hp than the 172 from what ive seen racing @ high speeds in 4th.

On another note I raced a pals CBR400 from 50-95 and there was nowt in it! Stuck it in 4th and started pulling.... over 100 i dont think it has much balls being a 400.

Who wants luxuries - its about driving not how buttons u can press! The cup is 0.7 at least quicker than the Mk2 - 6 secs dead to 60 is easy in the right conditions................

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Neil - ye I am from edinburgh. In the corstophine area..

Cupsize, you say 6 seconds dead in right conditions.. I have done 0-60 in 6.7 with 2 people in the car and a half tank of fuel.

Make that one person and one notch of fuel and I reckon I would be down to 6.3-6.4 which I can kinda confirm when someone on here done some 0-60 tests using the AP22 and got 6.39 or there abouts.