ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing door handles

Mk 2 Ph 2 1.2 16v
Could anybody tell me how to go abouts changing my exterior door handles of my Mk2 Ph2 please? Am just finishing off colourcoding a spare set and will be transfering them onto the car in the next couple of days.

After searching the forums it seems as though this can be a pretty tricky job!

Thanks, Adam

Civic Type-R
What you need to do is.... Take off the door card from inside the door. To do this you have to take out the speaker, electric window pull thing, inside door handle and the 2 bits of plastic running either side of the window. Then there are 4 screws along the bottom of the door card. Once these are all off use a bit of force and pull the card up and out and it should all come off. Then the exterior handle has to bolts on it and a metal bar, take these off and then pull the handle out towards the outside of the door. I opened the handle and then pulled it out that seemed to work well. Is about a 20minute job if your doing it for the 1st time :) hope this helps.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Just be careful u don't bend the metal round the outside of the handle on the outside of the door. I did this and had to knock it back into shape with a rubber hammer. Oh and make sure u have the metal clips on the new handles as you'll have a right job swaping them over.

Mk 2 Ph 2 1.2 16v
Put my last lot of lacquer on my door handles this morning and the paint match seems really good thanks mate. So whilst they're drying I'm prep'ing my side bump strips.

Did you get your paint ordered ok?

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
i haven't ordered it yet, will order it later on today :) am definitely going to get it from auto-paint judging by people's experiences on here.

maybe i should save all your threads for when i'm doing mine lol :)

Monaco Blue Mk2
Good work Adam. Yeah fairly good info above there. When you've got the door cards off though. If you look at the exterior handle from the inside of the door you will see a vertical rod on the right hand side of handle (doing the driver side first) You need to count the number of notches up that the rod is located in the retaining clip (this will become clear when you see it! When you put the handles back on you just need to clip that rod back in the exact same place. This makes sure you don't mess up the central locking.
The hardest parts for me was removing the wing mirro backing plates, these have big clips securing them on and I broke at least one on both of mine, not to worrry though they go back on fine. You need to make sure you use plenty of force even if it does feel like you're going to break something!

There is a doorcard removal walkthrough guide here - http://www.fubarnet.com/door_cards.html

If your electric window switches are on the speaker cover you need to prise the speaker grille off and leave the top part where the switches are, in place.

If you are really struggling the Haynes manual details, with pictures, the removal of the whole interior so you could buy one and then have no problems.

Mk 2 Ph 2 1.2 16v
Bunzee - Haha, yeah! People must be bored of me on here, the amount of questions I've been asking! If you need any help just drop me a PM mate and I'll see if i can help you out, as I'm now pretty clued up on this whole colourcoding lark!

Blue4Ever - thanks again, you've been very helpful throughout the whole process. Much appreciated mate.