ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing front/rear brake discs, sanity check!

S4 Avant
Add torque wrench to that list. The rear hub nuts need torquing correctly.
Also, a hammer
G clamp or something similar to press the front pistons.
Lots of WD40
Breaker bar never goes a miss
etc....

Stripped yozza'd cup
I just used a spanner with a towel wrapped round it to push the pistons back in. But you will need a torque wrench.

S4 Avant
I just used a spanner with a towel wrapped round it to push the pistons back in. But you will need a torque wrench.

We tried just pressing them in by hand, but they were having none of it. G clamp just made it effortless.

The other thing that I found with the rears, is sometimes only half of the bearing likes to come out with the brake disc. Bearing puller to get it off would have been nice :dapprove:

Stripped yozza'd cup
I must have been lucky then. I just rested my calliper on the top of my wheel and lent on it a bit. Went in really easily.

Golf GTD Mk7
list above is fine mate yeah. if you're messing with the lines then it might be worth having something to catch the fluid. DONT GET IT ON THE PAINT WORK :)

Looking for 182
Thanks Jonny. I'm going to leave the lines well alone. Am I right in thinking that I'll need something to support the calliper once it's off the disc to avoid it hanging by the lines?

I'm going to take this opportunity to pain the callipers as well. I might paint them while the old discs are on, then it doesn't matter too much where the paint goes.

BMW E36 328i Sport
Thanks Jonny. I'm going to leave the lines well alone. Am I right in thinking that I'll need something to support the calliper once it's off the disc to avoid it hanging by the lines?

I'm going to take this opportunity to pain the callipers as well. I might paint them while the old discs are on, then it doesn't matter too much where the paint goes.

Cable tie the calliper to the strut

Now Sold :-(
I use a bungee tie/strap to attach the calliper to the spring once unbolted. Keeps it well out of the way with no strain on the brake hose.

Looking for 182
Should I put anything on the face of the brake disc to protect it from rusting? I've just got Turinis on my car so want to keep it all looking pretty :)

Clio 197
ScarySquirrell - it might be worth investing in a socket set, i have the 150 piece halfords professional set which is really good and lifetime guaranteed. Just wait until they are on offer before you buy. I have not come across a job (bar the oil sump on the clio - needed to buy a new socket ) that the socket set doesnt work on :)

Clio 197
also something like plus gas or super slacks is much better than WD40 for removing stubborn bolts, i have just done my fronts and all the nuts were a doddle - might be a different story once you tackle the rear hub nut though!

Looking for 182
ScarySquirrell - it might be worth investing in a socket set, i have the 150 piece halfords professional set which is really good and lifetime guaranteed. Just wait until they are on offer before you buy. I have not come across a job (bar the oil sump on the clio - needed to buy a new socket ) that the socket set doesnt work on :)

Very good idea. I looked at this last night online and it was £99.99, today it's back up to £129.99. I'll go check it out in store though.

its cast iron, it'll rust, nothing you can do

Fair enough, one less thing to do :)

Golf GTD Mk7
Very good idea. I looked at this last night online and it was £99.99, today it's back up to £129.99. I'll go check it out in store though.

That's the kit i'm using. It is good aside from the lack of sump plug keys, but they aren't expensive. Apologies about the torx size :eek:.

Looking for 182
I went into Halfords and it's £200 in store. So I'll either wait until it's back down to £99 online or borrow the bits I need from friends.

Looking for 182
Ok, so I have an Arctic Blue car, with silver bullets and diamonds (standard), and anthracite Turinis. What colour should I paint my callipers?

Black, or Silver?