ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing front shocks & springs.

BG 182
Old shocks and springs are off, new ones are together in the correct order, but I can't for the life of me get them back on.

I've got the car jacked on these points circled red here (not my photo):
KW31bay.png

For whatever reason, I can't get the hub holes and shock holes to line up and it's not without trying either. I've had me and another person trying to get it to match up but I must be missing something?

Any ideas?

Renault Clio DCi 65
Jack handle between anti rollbar and wishbone to help the hub down and line it all up. Then use a screwdriver to locate the bottom hole on strut.

BG 182
I'm using the renault widow maker and axle stands. So I take it I'll need to take it off the axle stand one side at a time temporarily with the renault jack, to allow the hub to drop down? I've not done a huge amount of work on the clio so forgive me, but when you say jack handle between the antirollbar and wishbone, do you mean there's a good jacking point in that area that I should be using the axle stand on instead?

clio 172 ph 2
no what he means is this...

leave the car on the jack / axle stands how you have it. then remove the lever / handle from the jack to use it as a bar, or if you have a large pry bar get it in your hand. then use it as a lever between the wishbone and anti roll bar and push down hard on the bar with your weight behind it. this will move the hub / wishbone etc downwards allowing you to just get the shock lined up. hope this makes sense.

BG 182
Ah ok, have been unsure where to apply leverage for fear of ****ing something up.
Will give this a try tomorrow.

Thanks both of you.

BG 182
Success! Wouldn't have had the balls to lever against anything with force but you all convinced me.

3J3vNje.jpg

Used a breaker bar and straight in.
Thanks for the help, it's appreciated!

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I used to worry about suspension levering but as long as you stick a piece of wood where you going to put the end of the lever to spread the load a little and pick a sturdy looking area a weedy human with a few feet of bar is not gonna do much. A really determined idiot however.......

Glad you got it sorted. I love the way it could ram itself into the CV boot if it all slips!

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
All that trouble... I simply used my hands to lever the thing into place, Elbow on floor and LIFT!

Dont forget to get the front aligned now. Will be out of alignment 100%

330i. E30 Touring.
Nah, don't bother aligning with just shocks and springs unless you're using camber bolts.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I used a six foot bar. Minimum effort and plenty of control so no chance of anything going twang and the bolts just slid in. Used to Peugeots where standing on the end of a 4 foot bar still doesn't leave enough ruddy room to get the bottom ball joint in so the Clio was much easier.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I used a six foot bar. Minimum effort and plenty of control so no chance of anything going twang and the bolts just slid in. Used to Peugeots where standing on the end of a 4 foot bar still doesn't leave enough ruddy room to get the bottom ball joint in so the Clio was much easier.
I changed the springs on a 207 a while back and fcuk me!! Nearly smashed my teeth out. 5ft scaffold bar and my fat ass stood on it, made an almighty bang when it slipped! Lol

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I changed the springs on a 207 a while back and fcuk me!! Nearly smashed my teeth out. 5ft scaffold bar and my fat ass stood on it, made an almighty bang when it slipped! Lol
Sums the job up pretty well! My dad lost a thumb nail with KYB springs which had to be compressed to almost half their length. What's worse is they were wrong and had to come back out. Really needs a big proper lower arm bar to use on raised ramps and a unit to compress the spring, shock and top mount as a unit to do it easily and safely.

I lost my temper when the shock got stuck when trying to get it back in the hub and kicked it until it went in. No damage but I felt better!

All that trouble... I simply used my hands to lever the thing into place, Elbow on floor and LIFT!

Dont forget to get the front aligned now. Will be out of alignment 100%
That definitely earns you a Yorkie bar but naff that on a trolley Jack on my nasty gravel drive!