ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing Nearside driveshaft.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
As above. I am in the process of removing the NS driveshaft so far I have.

Drained the gearbox
Removed wheel and 30mm hub nut
Removed the 3 13mm bolts that holding the gearbox seal.

What next? I couldn't find decent guide on here.

Cheers Fletch.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
The problem you face now is getting it off the car.

First off you'll want to put the hub nut back on a bit to get the driveshaft out of the hub (well loose anyway, you'll need to hit it with a lump hammer or similar unless you have a puller). Then after that you'll need to get the balljoint out of the hub so that you can move the hub out of the way and pull the driveshaft out.

It'll basically fall out of the gearbox end but you won't be able to get it out with the hub attached to the wishbone.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
The problem you face now is getting it off the car.

First off you'll want to put the hub nut back on a bit to get the driveshaft out of the hub (well loose anyway, you'll need to hit it with a lump hammer or similar unless you have a puller). Then after that you'll need to get the balljoint out of the hub so that you can move the hub out of the way and pull the driveshaft out.

It'll basically fall out of the gearbox end but you won't be able to get it out with the hub attached to the wishbone.

Thanks for your quick reply mate. I'll give that a go tomorrow I have plenty of lump hammers ;)

172 cup, Impreza P1
Just detatch the 2 bolts holding the ball joint to the wishbone. Then pull the shaft from the hub. Very straight forward.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah everything was done up correctly. I got sick of trying to find the knock. I think the nylock in the nuts had gone and they kept working themselves a little loose.

SQ5
If your worried about the geo, just undo the top strut nut and let it hang, but I'm sure I never used to take much off to do driveshafts. Possibly just the TRE maybe?

172 cup, Impreza P1
If your worried about the geo, just undo the top strut nut and let it hang, but I'm sure I never used to take much off to do driveshafts. Possibly just the TRE maybe?

IME you need to allow the hub to move out the way as there is not enough compression in the shaft to push back through without this movement. To detach the ball joint from the wishbone takes 1 min both sides. lol