ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing springs

Clio 182, V8 Landy
Hi all,
Ordered some Eibach Pro-Kit springs to replace the s**te Apex (I think they're Apex) springs on the 182. Is there anything else I should do whilst I'm in there? Just noticed top mounts are plenty cheap enough...

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Swear there's been about 5 threads asking this same question within the space of a week. Have a look at the threads in this section mate, should find your answer.

Depends if you want to go all out but you could get new shocks, top mounts, wishbones, ball joints, tie rods, track rod ends, ARB bushes, steering rack bushes and camber bolts if you wanted.

Hi all,
Ordered some Eibach Pro-Kit springs to replace the s**te Apex (I think they're Apex) springs on the 182. Is there anything else I should do whilst I'm in there? Just noticed top mounts are plenty cheap enough...
How come you think the Apex springs are rubbish?

Clio 182, V8 Landy
How come you think the Apex springs are rubbish?
I think they'd be great on track, and on a car that would see good track action, but the Clio is my daily; with the springs not being of progressive design and the dampers being at the lower limit of their travel, I find the ride a little to bumpy for daily driving. So maybe s**t is the wrong word, but not suited for the application I'm after is a better way of saying.
I'd have no hesitation to keep them on if I was doing more track work, but for daily and fast road driving I think the Eibach's will be the best all rounder...

I think they'd be great on track, and on a car that would see good track action, but the Clio is my daily; with the springs not being of progressive design and the dampers being at the lower limit of their travel, I find the ride a little to bumpy for daily driving. So maybe s**t is the wrong word, but not suited for the application I'm after is a better way of saying.
I'd have no hesitation to keep them on if I was doing more track work, but for daily and fast road driving I think the Eibach's will be the best all rounder...
Was gonna say that I've just fitted them with new dampers and the ride quality is great on the road, much better than the old cup springs and dampers. Maybe try replacing the dampers and see how it feels then and if you're still not happy get the Eibach springs.

330i. E30 Touring.
Most springs are too crashy for me on the road.

Prolines are the only ones i get on with, and i've driven/owned just about them all.

Clio 182, V8 Landy
Maybe try replacing the dampers and see how it feels then and if you're still not happy get the Eibach springs.
I'll probably do this anyway when I've got the whole lot apart. I know the rear dampers were replaced a little while ago - whilst I've got the fronts apart I'll probably do the dampers too. On that note - where is best for them? I see Wolverhampton Renault are on here, I'll probably drop them a PM. Failing that, I get discount through the local Renault dealership through work - I'll give them an ask too. Best to steer clear of ECP parts and just stick to genuine?

Most springs are too crashy for me on the road. Prolines are the only ones i get on with, and i've driven/owned just about them all.
I can be a bit fussy at times too. A friend had the Pro-Kits fitted and really rated them. A lot of people rated the same range of springs in the Focus ST club that I came from too, they were Ford approved actually, which says something given the OEM approval in my eyes.

Listerine & Poledo
Short springs and OEM dampers (especially if they're still the original ones) aren't going to result in a magic carpet ride :/

If the swap of spring brand doesn't help, look to the oily bits!