ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing Xenon Bulbs

Clio 182
Alrite guys,

Been scouring the forum using the search tool :p - but just looking to clarify my understanding of replacing xenon bulbs in a 182, I think the existing bulbs were the originals so these are 4300, and since my driverside has gone it seems the easiest way to change this is to remove the bumper - so my aswell change both. Thinking I will upgrade to 6000 with these : http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-xenon-bulbs/d2s-hid-xenon-replacement-bulbs-p-447.html , is it as simple as just unclipping existing bulb and putting in new one even though they are brighter?

Also I have been informed that if you touch the bulb when its connected to the car the power can destroy your fingers (duno if this is a horror story or true) so is it safest just to remove entire headlamp then change the bulb when its off the car?

Will be looking to order these tonight/tomorrow, then can take some pics to contribute to 'how-to' section once done

Thanks in advance
Steve

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I don't no about destroying fingers etc lol, but it's a hell of a lot easier to swap them with the headlight off the car.

It's a bumper of job as well :)

Seat Ibiza
Don't know about destroy your fingers, but standard bulbs, if you touch them you can leave greasy finger prints meaning the heat will attract to this and therefore blow.

I wouldn't upgrade the temp colour, I don't think it will make them brighter, it'll just look more blue, like the chavs in the local McDonalds with their HID's.

I'd use Powerbulbs as I think we get discount.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/store/category/car-bulbs/fitting/d2s-85122

Clio 182
Lol yeah thought it sounded a bit extreme, but I suppose if the whole unit is disconnected then there's no chance of damaging anything

... its kind of ironic as I have a p/t job in halfords and change loads of bulbs for customers on a daily basis, but my store doesn't touch d2s bulbs, and when I foned a local store which did he said it was £100 per bulb

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
Little bit fiddly but can be done without removing bumper and lights! I've changed mine several times just for fun :p

Seat Ibiza
We use them on some HGV's and tbf mate, I don't really see any fun side to it.

Whatever floats your boat. Lol

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC

Not meaning to come across as stupid as this is my first time of having a Clio with xenon bulbs, but are the bulbs in the link above a direct fitment to OE Renault xenon headlamps? My drivers side bulb has stopped working, it's either a new bulb, ballast or ignitor. If it's a bulb that needs changing i'm certainly not paying Renault prices for 1!!

e92 330i
Yup clio bulbs are D2S. Its a bumper off job to me, tried to do mine left on and for the life of me couldnt do it! 5000k may be a good colour, just bright white

Clio 182
After bumper removal and trial and error testing, turns out one of my ballasts has gone (some water in the connector when I removed it - gutted), so swiftly onto ebay and £50 later Ive just got to wait until mon/tue for 2nd hand one to arrive, so if all goes well ill be seeing clearly by mid-next week,

One question tho....

When I refitted the bumper, there seems to be around 5mm gaps where the bumper meets the arches on both sides, can see the clips on the wing and the fixing points on the bumper, but can't see how these clip back together... any info/advice would be great,

Cheers
Steve