ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noob question, replacing xenon lights

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
One of the xenons in my 182 has started to go pink so needs replacing. I've found that I need a HID-D2S bulb to replace, but I can't see how to replace it. I've tried searching for a guide but can't seem to find anything, can someone point me in the right direction?
Also I read it's advisable to change them in pairs, is this true? Gulp, £60 each for a bloody bulb!

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
I paid £80 for my bulbs. OSRAM or Philips are the best ones to go for (cant remember exact part number).

Basically:
Remove bumber:
- Jack car up (it helps if your lowered ahah)
- Full lock wheels either way and pull down arch (there is a 13mm I think bolt up there, be careful though because there is two! the one you want is the furthest one away looking forward (bit hard to see but its there).
- Undo appropriate under tray bolts at the bottom.
- Open bonnet and remove bolts or clips holding in the top of the grill.
- Go to one side of the car (where the arches are) and pull the bumper out slowly and work your way to the other side and the bumper should come off.
- Be careful though as the fog light cable is rather short (its only on the passenger side)
- 3 x 13mm (I think) bolts holding in the headlights one at the top, bottom left and bottom right.
- Pull headlight out towards you and remove plugs
- Take headlight inside your house where it is warm and put the kettle on
- Pull out rubber cover behind headlight
- Twist HID bulb ballast power (big black plastic thing) and pull it back towards you
- Once the plastic bit is removed there will be a plastic ring around the bulb this should twist and come off (if it didn't already) then the bulb is ready to pull out
- Once bulb is out pull it to remove it from the holder
- Put new bulb in
- Reverse above
- Do a backflip

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
3 hours later, after much swearing and painful hands I've done it. Took so long because the alarm switch fell apart and the pin fell down into the depths of the engine!

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Great stuff, I need to change my bulb on the passenger side.
I'll use this bumper off guide

Cheers guys

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I really struggle due to my big hands
It's easier to move headlight out of its position

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
I have small hands and struggled to remove the cap for the xenon. Can manage it fine for the side lights but the xenon are just a bit too difficult, plus you have the added issue of the metal clip and the cable to disconnect, much easier just to remove the bumper and headlight unit to be safe!

Thread bump time,

Got the same on my dads Phase 2 172, found out over the weekend that the drivers side bulb has gone pink.
What bulbs are we buying to replace them with ?
Is it deffo a bumper off job ??

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Thread bump time,

Got the same on my dads Phase 2 172, found out over the weekend that the drivers side bulb has gone pink.
What bulbs are we buying to replace them with ?
Is it deffo a bumper off job ??
You can leave the bumper attached in the middle as someone said above. Unless you have the hands of a small girl.
I've got these in mine, 6000k . They're a bit whiter than the oem bulbs without being blue.

Cheers, nah probably won't be able to do it without removing it (no doubt I'll get called in to do it lol)