ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chase Racing Clio Build Blog (TinTops Entry)

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I got my AST's machined (slots extended) as didn't want the half size camber bolts moving\giving up when out on track...think they are quit a bit thinner than the standard bolts. Plus you can only get 2 - 2.5 degrees of camber with them (I think)....I run 3.5 now. You'll need more camber than you think once your experience\speed improves...

Funny you mention that as that's what Mark Fish did to mine. I did supply the camber bolts but he said he didnt want to use them!

Chase Racing Clio
March 12[SUP]th[/SUP] 2012:

The first part of this update is good news on the license front. On Friday, Ryan went to Thruxton and passed his ARDS and then, on monday, I went to Silverstone and got mine too!! (Rob already has his). We just need to send the forms off and we're ready to race!

Next, a few updates on the car. It won’t really look like much, but we've been finishing off all the fabrication on the inside of the car ready for paint. Firstly, a harness bar needs to be installed:

DSC02900.jpg

Next up, the rear stiffening section needed finishing off, complete with a nice piece of tubing to neatly fit around the top mount in order to accommodate the top mount spacers.

DSC02905.jpg

The last bits of fabricating are completed inside, including lap and crotch belt attachment points for the harness. The car has been completely wrapped in newspaper ready to spray up too!

DSC02910.jpg

Chase Racing Clio
How are you deciding who is driving then? Or you pitting twice

Well, we're going to rotate driving. 2 of us will drive over a race weekend and the other will take charge of the pits stuff. Who gets the first go will down to the toss of a coin I guess.

Chase Racing Clio
Gentlemen, gentlemen....please don't taint my lovely build thread with your horrendous terminologies!! Save it for the pits! (I have many more that will shock and appall you!)

Chase Racing Clio
March 14[SUP]th[/SUP] 2012:

Paint is the theme of today's update.

Rob has masked up the whole car, leaving just the interior exposed to the onslaught of Ryan and his gun.

DSC02913.jpg

After a good rubbing down and keying of the surface, we treated the fresh new exposed metal surfaces to a little bit of primer.

DSC02914.jpg

Rob and I then left the garage for a while whilst Ryan got stuck into the spraying. He emerged just under an hour later, looking like he'd just been a victim of "antiquing". The car came out a little better than he did, although there are a few patches that need rubbing back and treating to a second coat.

DSC02919.jpg

This will have to be left alone for a few days to properly harden before we do anything else. Once that is complete, we will be painting the doors and the cage.

Chase Racing Clio
March 19[SUP]th[/SUP] 2012:

Another quick update; we've finished the painting stage!!! Ryan has been doing another wonderful job finishing off the remaining areas of paint for the interior. The inside of the car took a second coat to get rid of the imperfections of the first coat and the cage is now fully sprayed up. Once it's all dry in a few days, we can start putting the car back together, exciting times!

DSC02935.jpg

The white and blue seem to complement each other quite well. We had a fun 5 minutes un-wrapping the whole car; Rob likened it to Christmas time…. Ryan was just happy that he'd finished being engulfed in fumes!

DSC02930.jpg

Chase Racing Clio
March 24[SUP]th[/SUP] 2012:

Now that the paint has properly hardened and we have stuck all the suspension in place, we have been able to roll the car out on to the drive and see what it looks like in the natural light. We are pretty pleased with it so far, plenty more to do though.

DSC02957.jpg

DSC02955.jpg

After a brief spell in the sunshine, the car was turned round and back in the garage it went for the engine to be removed. We have removed the air con and changed the cambelt, but the rest of the engine will remain standard for now, apart from an oil cooler which we will fit once its back in.

DSC02965.jpg

Now that the engine is out, we are going to remove the ABS module and replace the brake lines. We will then fit a bias valve to the rear circuit which we will place on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel, so we can access it easily.

DSC02961.jpg

Chase Racing Clio
Looking good, what class will this car be raced in? Id be tempted to leave the ABS in personally.

Gonna be doing CSCC Tintops this year, we're ambitiously aiming to race at Brands on May 7th too! With the ABS...it's already gone, it's happening now, no turning back. We're quite confident we can get it working well.

Chase Racing Clio
Remember the bias should not be reachable whilst driving

I saw you'd said that in another thread Jay....and I've been reading the rule; it's not THAT explicit...

" (c) It must be possible under all conditions, running
or stationary, for 25% minimum braking effort tobe applied by the driver through the brakingsystem to each axle. (Vehicle models introducedprior to 31.12.65 are exempt from thisrequirement.)(d) Brake balance adjusters must not be available for​
adjustment during running if they contravene (c)."

I'm not quite sure what is meant by the rule.... either the driver must be able to actuate each part of the braking system with only 25% of his effort OR that you can have a minimum of 25% braking effort on each axle at any time you press the pedal. So, if adjusting the brake bias adjuster contravenes these, then it should be out of the reach of the driver, but if it doesn't, then I dont see why the adjuster can't be within the reach of the driver.

We're not too fussed about it being in the reach of the driver, we can stick it in the passenger footwell area quite easily, but clarity on that rule would be nice. Has more than one scrutineer told you the exact interpretation of that rule?

Chase Racing Clio
Also Jay, whilst I've got your attention, who do use for tyre supply and do you get them fitted and balanced locally?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Great work so far!!

With the ABS removal are you just using the same master cylinder and brake servo?

I think it'l be a bit rear braking heavy if you do! Best it fit the 172cup brake set up with the rear bias valve from that car.

172 Race Car
I saw you'd said that in another thread Jay....and I've been reading the rule; it's not THAT explicit...

" (c) It must be possible under all conditions, running
or stationary, for 25% minimum braking effort tobe applied by the driver through the brakingsystem to each axle. (Vehicle models introducedprior to 31.12.65 are exempt from thisrequirement.)(d) Brake balance adjusters must not be available for​
adjustment during running if they contravene (c)."

I'm not quite sure what is meant by the rule.... either the driver must be able to actuate each part of the braking system with only 25% of his effort OR that you can have a minimum of 25% braking effort on each axle at any time you press the pedal. So, if adjusting the brake bias adjuster contravenes these, then it should be out of the reach of the driver, but if it doesn't, then I dont see why the adjuster can't be within the reach of the driver.

We're not too fussed about it being in the reach of the driver, we can stick it in the passenger footwell area quite easily, but clarity on that rule would be nice. Has more than one scrutineer told you the exact interpretation of that rule?

Crystal clear to me mate. You must have 25% braking to each wheel.
And adjuster must be out of reach of the driver IF it gives less than 25% to each wheel.

Read it again and look up the definition of 'contravene' sometimes need someone else to read the rule to get it, book is full of ones like that. Doesnt even have to be someone who understands what it means, your mum can be of use, needs a different perspective sometimes.

As Chrispy says just get a master cyl and load adjuster from a non ABS 172 Clio Cup and job done. 25% rear bias is suicide, you will struggle to get a low enough rear bias with a normal adjuster,been there, done that, got the video evidance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqFINGIT8U8

TrackCar & F30 330d
That video still makes me chuckle!

Deffently need the master cylinder and brake servo (and rear bias thing) as your foot will just hit the floor if you just use the same ABS servo with the 172cup master cylinder!

:)

TrackCar & F30 330d
I only said that because when I drove mine from my parents house to my house my foot nearly hit the floor. Perhaps I needed to do more bleading.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Crystal clear to me mate. You must have 25% braking to each wheel.
And adjuster must be out of reach of the driver IF it gives less than 25% to each wheel.

Read it again and look up the definition of 'contravene' sometimes need someone else to read the rule to get it, book is full of ones like that. Doesnt even have to be someone who understands what it means, your mum can be of use, needs a different perspective sometimes.

As Chrispy says just get a master cyl and load adjuster from a non ABS 172 Clio Cup and job done. 25% rear bias is suicide, you will struggle to get a low enough rear bias with a normal adjuster,been there, done that, got the video evidance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqFINGIT8U8

Regards using a normal brake bias adjuster, I had also intended on doing this, partly because the load adjuster/proportioning valve from the original donor 172 Cup was a ball of rust! and also to have some adjustment, appreciate they dont need much rear braking effort but figured there may be some scope for dry vs wet set ups.
Has anyone tried using 30mm piston rear calipers with a normal motorsport type adjustable bias valve? Perhaps not a huge difference but smaller piston will reduce the available effort with the same size master cylinder.

172 Race Car
we ran an adjuster and cup valve. never touched it once set so binned it off. You can use the cup valve to adjust it anyway, just means doing it under the car. easy enough.

But hey, its your car

Chase Racing Clio
April 1[SUP]st[/SUP] 2012:

No April fools' jokes from us today……just another update on the build. A few more jobs have been completed, including the re-insertion of our lovely engine; the alternator bracket has been chopped down a bit and the alternator now sits in a lower position. Another neat mod that has saved us some money! It lowers the CofG of the alternator too.

DSC02984.jpg

The brake lines for the fronts have been made up, only a few more to do to complete the job. We've also purchased a nice shiny set of tyres. Gone with Toyo R888s for now, but only really because they were the cheapest!! More stuff on order, which will all arrive in time for the weekend and the big 4 day push. Watch this space, more to follow very soon.

DSC02983.jpg

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
Looks like i`ll be watching you at silverstone,mallory,donington and oulton this year,only those i`m afraid as they are closest to me.

Chase Racing Clio
The website is now in a more decent state, check it out chaseracing.co.uk

Also, follow us on twitter @ChaseRacingUK

Chase Racing Clio
April 10[SUP]th[/SUP] 2012:

The short Easter break can mean only one thing……more time in the garage working on the car! First job on the cards is to finish off the brake lines and fit our rear bias adjuster. We found a nice neat location on the passenger side which is out of reach of the driver and yet very accessible.

DSC02991.jpg

Rob's mammoth task of wiring has gone to a new level; his mock switch panel and the amount of wires everywhere show the extent to which he is going to make this all work. We still haven't had the engine running, but that isn't too far away now.

DSC03005.jpg

In the mean time, the polycarbonate for the doors has been fitted, complete with window slider for the driver.

DSC03000.jpg

We're attempting to make our own rear screen too, using the road car we happen to have lying around as a template. We're not entirely sure if we'll manage to manipulate it in to shape, watch this space for the result of this one!

DSC02997.jpg

Finally, the bumper has seen a little bit of modification as we fit the towing eye and brake ducts.

DSC02996.jpg