ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chasing a straight line.

CursedTitanium 182FF
My car refuses to go in a straight line, I think the previous owner stuffed it into a curb. I have had the subframe replaced & inner track arm by Fred, I have replaced the bottom arms with new Renault items with new Renault ball joints, new shocks up front with Eibach Sportlines front & rear & outer ARB bushes on the front. I have removed the camber bolts because Kwik Fit (yes I know, Monkies) wouldn't touch the camber settings, as they said it was non standard. Any way, when they put it on the machine it showed the the OS/F had loads more camber then the NS/F (See pic below) & the OS/R has more toe than the NS/R.

When they set it up I was in the car holding the wheel straight, the printout says that the car is tracked up straight but when driven the steering wheel is off to the right & the car pulls to the left, sometimes alot & sometimes not much.

Why would that be the case? If it was the knock from the last owner, I would have thought it would be less camber as it would hit the bottom of the wheel not the top.
I have a metallic twanging sound when I turn right (not all the time) also there is more resistance if you turn right then left.
Can any one shed some light on my settings & give me some possibilities as to what might be wrong with it.

Tracking021212.gif

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Re: Chasing a stright line.

Are your wheels straight, ie not buckled?

Have you got genuine wishbones?

E46 M3

The twanging sound is your spring turning on its seat. A sign of a siezed or incorrectly assembled top mount.

CursedTitanium 182FF

Top mount was put together the same as it came apart, & was checked that it moved freely. (But now you have cast doubt in my mind lol)

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio

Incorrectly fitted top mounts would also cause the odd camber.

CursedTitanium 182FF

Do you have a diagram of how it should be, so I can tell you if I did it the same?

CursedTitanium 182FF
I'm going to check the struts at the weekend & will post if I have done it correctly/incorrectly.

CursedTitanium 182FF
Well, I took the shocks off today & the mounts were fitted correctly. Top Plate/Bearing/Large Rubber Bush/Top Hat/Small Nut/Strut Knock Washer -Car- Top Bush & Nut.

IMAG0241.gif

Could the extra camber be caused by a knackered drive shaft?