ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap air con delete how many have done it ?

Clio 182
Hi

Wanting to get rid of ac on my 182, was planning on getting a cup setup but due to them being rare and expensive I’m looking at other alternatives.
I’ve seen the thread on using a smaller idler and belt but just wondering how many people have used this setup and any issues?
Worries me about the belt flying off and taking out the cam belt .

Any feedback greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan's cast offs.
Done plenty and not had problems, just make sure belt isn't too long as the front run is quite long and can slap a fair bit if the belt isn't tensioned.

CLIO 172,CLIO182
I have a similar setup idler pulley off a Merc Sprinter and a longer belt, been on about 2 years and 20 twenty track days, no issues what so ever

Clio 182
Thanks for the replies, that’s good to hear .
What parts has everyone used? Anything to watch while doing it ?

monaco 172
I used a 6pk1640 belt and I think the pulley I used was an skf VKM34501 I used about 5mm or so of washers to space the idler pulley out a bit so it ran perfectly in line with the rest as I didn't want the belt pulling.

Clio 182
I used a 6pk1640 belt and I think the pulley I used was an skf VKM34501 I used about 5mm or so of washers to space the idler pulley out a bit so it ran perfectly in line with the rest as I didn't want the belt pulling.

Brilliant , thanks for that. Going to get the bits ordered today .
So just need the pulley , belt and washers ?
Remove all ac and fit pulley where air con compressor was ? Spaced out so all runs true. Sounds easy !?

monaco 172
Brilliant , thanks for that. Going to get the bits ordered today .
So just need the pulley , belt and washers ?
Remove all ac and fit pulley where air con compressor was ? Spaced out so all runs true. Sounds easy !?

Nope.

Remove a.c.

Remove original idler pulley and replace with the new ribbed one, nothing goes where the aircon was.

The new belt now sits in the grooves on the pulley rather than the rear of the belt touching the pulley

monaco 172
Drill the original idler hole and tap it M10, not worth chancing that much tension and flex on an M8 bolt.

Good idea that.

Don't mean to sound like I'm questioning you, but would it not be the same amount of stress through the bolt that the regular idler pulley would see with the belt running along the top side of it?

Or do you mean the load on it would increase due to the air con pump not been there any taking more of the load?

Also just bear in mind that even though this method is cheaper to get shut of the air con, it will work out dearer at belts changes if you due one.

Youl have to buy a Renault aux belt kit just to get the tensioner, and then have to buy the longer belt aswel and a new idler if your doing the lot.

As far as I'm aware you can't buy the tensioner on its own, euros did list one but it was about 200 notes and not in stock

dan's cast offs.
As standard it's more of a 'deflection' pulley but without aircon pump it is an idler in the true sense so is under more tension. Am sure it would probably be fine with the standard M8 bolt but I prefer belt and braces, that way less to worry about!!

Pulley is about a tenner and a shorter belt is around £15-20 dependant on where you buy from, it's always been cheaper to but a full aux kit from Renault than just a tensioner so you'll just end up with an aux belt and idler you won't use. If you buy your shorter pulley and idler from euro you could put the Renault bits back in the packing from euro and get a refund on them.

Obviously that's not very honest and I'd never condone anything like that ?

monaco 172
As standard it's more of a 'deflection' pulley but without aircon pump it is an idler in the true sense so is under more tension. Am sure it would probably be fine with the standard M8 bolt but I prefer belt and braces, that way less to worry about!!

Pulley is about a tenner and a shorter belt is around £15-20 dependant on where you buy from, it's always been cheaper to but a full aux kit from Renault than just a tensioner so you'll just end up with an aux belt and idler you won't use. If you buy your shorter pulley and idler from euro you could put the Renault bits back in the packing from euro and get a refund on them.

Obviously that's not very honest and I'd never condone anything like that ?
Fair doos

I suppose when you look at it like that it's still cheaper than buying the pms kit unless you keep the car for a good few belt changes, but let's be fair, with Renault discontinuing parts like they are doing we won't be on the road much longer!

Clio 172
Is this the same setup for a 172? So a idler pulley and longer belt that's all that's needed? Has anybody got a guide?

Sent from my BAH-W09 using Tapatalk

Clio 182
Thanks for everyone’s input on this , in the end I have brought a cup setup seems the easier option . Less chance of me cocking it up lol , I’ve removed all ac now just waiting on it arriving and it will get fitted .

What do I do with the pipe holes left that go into the car? Block them up?
Cheers

monaco 172
They are attached to a little radiator type thing behind the panel.

Pure motorsport a.c. delete kit has a good guide on how to remove it.

I think you need to take off the wipers.

Or just leave it in place, no need to block them off as you have destroyed the a.c. anyway so they aren't going to anything.