ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap Alloys Anyone?

172, Tiguan
6B89BB52-A2F0-4EB4-B553-AE23B1376EB3.jpg

They look half decent to me. I'm pretty sure mine are going to look crap, but for £83 I don't really care!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They look half decent to me. I'm pretty sure mine are going to look crap, but for £83 I don't really care!

They do look ok, but I must confess Id sooner spend a few dozen quid more and have secondhand OZ F1 as track wheels instead personally, just because I trust them to only buckle not to fail dramatically.

A friend had the spokes all crack on a set of wheels when we were over at the ring, luckily he spotted it as over half the spokes had gone so one more lap and it would have been a catastrophic failure IMHO
Ive been a little cautious with wheels ever since.

His were cheap wheels and had also been powder coated, not sure which was the source of the problem or if combination of both (some powder coats heat the wheels to much to burn the old finish off)

If they were selling these at £78 a wheel which is the RRP, and still the price of them on some places on e bay, which adds up to over £300 a set would you still be turning your noses up at them. They are obviously end of stock prices just to shift them. Too many wheel and tyre snobs on Cliosport who think if somethings cheap there must be something wrong with it.
Agreed.

I think they were a sweet bargain!

172, Tiguan
I've had all sorts of problems with secondhand wheels, so for me this is worth a gamble. If they turn out to be cheese then so be it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I've had all sorts of problems with secondhand wheels, so for me this is worth a gamble. If they turn out to be cheese then so be it.

Agreed, that secondhand wheels are also potentially a gamble as you never knock if they have been bent and straightened and weakened in the process etc.

If these really are TUV approved, then you should have no worries at all.

Clio 182
Mine are not TUV approved but are stamped JWL, VIA

after some googling this is the Japanese standard rather than German TUV.
Either way they are approved and have passed safety tests.
I have some old skool tsw blades at home from the 90's. I shall see if they are stamped.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I have some old skool tsw blades at home from the 90's. I shall see if they are stamped.

Or someone has stamped them pretending they have, which sadly happens all the time, even things like industrial fire safe electrical cable for example bought on ebay and with all the appropriate safety marks on it is frequently NOT actually safe and hasnt actually been tested, merely marked as if it has.

:(

Or someone has stamped them pretending they have, which sadly happens all the time, even things like industrial fire safe electrical cable for example bought on ebay and with all the appropriate safety marks on it is frequently NOT actually safe and hasnt actually been tested, merely marked as if it has.

:(
Same with ebay "e marked" bulbs. Doubt half of them have been approved tbh

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Indeed it could be a fake stamp but where do we draw the line on these things.

Only way to draw the line really is to buy through official channels as its then far more likely to be correct, but obviously its a lot dearer than buying potentially faked stuff off ebay of course!

172, Tiguan
These are sold by Amazon, direct from them I think. You'd think they'd probably try and sell non-faked goods, as i'm sure Trading Standards would like to know otherwise.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
These are sold by Amazon, direct from them I think. You'd think they'd probably try and sell non-faked goods, as i'm sure Trading Standards would like to know otherwise.

Its amazing the places fakes turn up these days, including some you really wouldnt like to believe are true! Since 2007 when fake anti psychotic and and cancer treatment drugs were found in the NHS, I really have been of the opinion that nothing is sacred from these counterfeiting scum :(

Could try asking Amazon direct for supporting docs I guess if bothered (which you dont sound anyway, lol).

Clio 182
I know the replica wheels are renowned for fake stamps purely by the fact they take a mould of the genuine wheel as the stamps end up getting copied in the process.

These are a copy of no other wheel so they would have phsicaly made the fake stamp but like you say it's hardly unheard of.
Question is are these average wheels being sold cheaply as amazon have stopped doing the ones we have for £20 each and maybe they were trialing them and looking to start the feedback

or indeed cheap wheels where some sellers are asking average money ie £95 each.

Im im very much on the fence with it but going off the looks and feel I'm so far very very pleased.

Do it not have the mark on the box? Mine has the TUV sticker with the number to check it against

Renault Clio 172 cup
Mine arrived today, dispatched yesterday. All seems good, very nice finish to them , better than some recons I've seen. Same markings on box as the post a couple above this and stamped with the JWL VIA stuff. Only negative is centre caps look a bit cheap. Until I hear of someone who bought a set having a problem, I'm happy.

Just a couple of other things to note ,the boxes they came in had "alloy wheel promotion" all over them, and they are now back up to RRP on Amazon with a 1-3 month waiting time. Again happy.

Clio 182
989C8048-EADD-4EAA-B07C-3D2767C82D44.jpg

EAF4B8E7-1882-4D71-B5A3-4ECFF81D78D3.jpg

7EE0D72C-0952-4324-AFD5-A0434DF3EF3B.jpg

the wheels are fitted as you can see.
No issues getting them on and the car drives fine. I will be using them for two weeks whilst mine are refurbished. I will update then :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Look a bit cheap and cheerful, like sort of thing ripspeed might sell etc, but fine for track wheels.

172, Tiguan
Mine arrived the other day. Look fine at a quick glance. They'll sit in the boxes for a while befre the slicks go on them.