ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap but good tyres

One with a few more
If this makes sense to anyone!:

Where have you found good quality tyres for a reasonable price?
I dont know much about tyres - but will be needing them soon and dont have too much to spare - even though I want something durable and long lasting

One with a few more
lol, tbh, guys - I really dont have a clue. My boyfriend was going on about spending 100 quid on tyres earlier - didnt realise they were that dear. Tyres for 17s. Dont know much else - normal Clio width?!

205 40 17s im guessing then? you can get tyres for about 45/50 a corner that are good in the dry but sketchy in the wet(toyos or similar) but a decent tyre(goodyear eagle or michelin etc) will be in the region of a ton or just under in that size.

SLK 350
So your after 17/195/45 if your alloys are 17X7 or maybe 17/205/45 if they are wider fit.

To be honest tyres is something i would tend to steer clear of skimping on, they are keeping you on the road after all, so in that sense i would say (and with winter n all) some decent Mitchelin/Goodyear/Hankook/Dunlop/Kumho rubber would be order of the day and you can still get good rubber for £50 a corner.

Speaking of which Kwik-Fit had a sign out in my area on 25% off all Mitchelin when buying 4.

Mégane RS
I had toyo's in 205/40/17 and they werent that good in the wet, then again they werent that good in the dry, get yourself some goodyear f1's or some michelins, ive got pilot sports but they are a bit expensive but are really good tyres, heard good things about the Bridgestone re050, come standard on ferraris etc

One with a few more
So what size am I looking for with 16" anthracites? or does it vary?!

EDIT: sugar, I've bee saying 17 all the time because boyfriend got 17s! I really mean 16!) sorry guys - but cheers for all this help - I just wouldnt know where to start

Last edited:
doh, lol. probably 195 45 16s then, similar prices but to get the correct width and profile (the 1st two numbers) you need to check the sidewall of the tyres as they might be 205 45 16s

One with a few more
oh right, cheers - so if i were to order a new alloy from renault (ones scuffed) that'd probably be the size? will they still be selling them even with the new clio out?

I worry about these things!! I've seen goodyears on that site for £63 ish. Do you just take them to a garage for fitting?

ok ref the scuff get it looked at as it may refurb at a cost of about £50 rather than over £100 for a new wheel. The tyre size you need to check whats on the car, its written on the side of the tyre and easy to see. Yep renault will sell the wheel even with the new clio out. Manufacturers are legally required to supply replacement parts for 10 years after a model has ceased production, although they usually stock things for even longer.

yup but check the tyre fitters locally as some wont fit tyres they havnt supplied themselves.

One with a few more
lol, Loony - you're a big help! thank you
I just hope they sell me a wheel if I need it even though I've a puny 1.2
I'll be trapsing round town on saturday when I get home searching for everything
Its hard being a student - having to spend as little as possible everytime - especially after spending the remainder of a student loan on a 172 interior - oops (not trying to look all fast - but I've mucked up my seats as the green I have stains like mad!)

Thank you!! i'll be sleeping with a relaxed smile!