ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap CarPlay head unit in a Clio 1*2? Here’s an option…?

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
I’m fan of Apple CarPlay and use it in all my cars, (typically straight off the iPhone), but was struggling with my Clio 182 and a Pioneer head unit that was most definitely a halfway house….

Looking around I found some single DIN head units were available, but they were either large motorised or stationary screens that covered some of the buttons on the centre console, and we’re either flippin or bl**dy expensive!!!

What I needed, was a Single DIN Apple CarPlay screen…?? 🤔Well after a bit of head scratching, I’ve achieve this:
7D047E74-EC05-460C-A4D2-8598CAC00B86.jpeg

Thought I would share this little guide, if anyone else wanted a go..?

I found this Single DIN head-unit available from AudioTechDirect:

32DC4FF7-7266-48A2-9ABE-EE4D86B4C589.jpeg

And it appeared to be everything I wanted… for a reasonable-ish £200?

When it arrived, I offered it up, and saw that the display was larger than the regular Single DIN, so it would not fit into the existing hole:
3CD95055-8A42-463E-BA0D-AAC05504C37D.jpeg
The unit actually comes with 2 mounting positions, and you could mount it like this, but I wanted it to be a little more seamless, so wondered how I could push it further back, into the dash?

Knowing that fitting it would involve some cutting, I ordered a used hazzard switch panel from eBay for £6, off a breaker, so I can always revert back to OE.

I then scribed a line on the used hazard panel, using the top of the Head-Unit as a guide:
25F5AAF8-0CF6-466B-B2E8-C6710A4DDBA1.jpeg

I then lined up a metal rule as a straight edge, and some blue roll to stop the face of the hazard panel from getting marked, and held the lot in a vice:
1C730012-3D2E-4C9B-AB76-9C5B078115C6.jpeg

I then used a vibrating Multi-Tool cutter with a wide blade, to cut off the bit of the hazard panel I wanted:
47BDF2E3-33D9-469B-A8EB-E4EC8127EF91.jpeg

The first cut was actually great, and came out nice and straight, but I then needed to gently cut back the rest of the material at 90 degrees to the original cut, to end up with something like this:
AD458170-7B42-4EED-9EDE-6025EEFA51F0.jpeg

I then needed to cut the hazard button as well:
A6CCA707-106A-4FCC-88D1-3B9DC669D5D0.jpeg

Now the hazard panel and switch was cut, I could mount the cage into the dashboard. But I realised that the cage was a little taller than the OE DIN size, so I needed to give it a little shave with the Multi-Tool:
6A880C02-6106-4418-835D-D44A9B5D4EA4.jpeg

As you can see, I also removed the bottom piece of trim from the centre console as well.

It then slipped in a treat:
7D047E74-EC05-460C-A4D2-8598CAC00B86.jpeg

Using an Audioleads adapter, I also managed to get the steering wheel remote control to work, so I could turn the volume up & down:
CEABD2D7-594D-4909-BE9B-E16C755D5737.jpeg

So having had the unit in the car for a couple of days, I’ve got some feedback I’d like to share with you all to give you the inside track:

PRO’s
  • Apple CarPlay works great, when it’s plugged in and gives you the full seem less integration from your mobile phone to the screen, Waze, Spotify, Google Maps, all work great!
  • If your phone dies, it’s got a built in Navigation, Radio etc Apps which mean you can get some entertainment thru the device.
  • It’s a cheap way to get a proper Apple CarPlay system into a Clio 1*2

CON’s
  • It’s an android operating system which is a bit clunky, and uses an app to power the Apple CarPlay system, so every time you turn it on, you need to go thru the Android boot up screens.
  • The Radio within the unit, is only an FM unit, and has no RDS system, so it doesn’t tell you the station you’re listening to.
  • Adjusting the volume for the passenger is not easy, as you have to swipe down from the top of the unit, and then adjust.
  • The icons within the Android OS are REALLY SMALL and impossible to navigate if you’re driving

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
How much ram and storage does it have? I paid 99€ for the exact same model with 2gb of RAM and 16 storage 😬

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Always wanted to get CarPlay in my 182, main thing I miss from the cars I've had previously, this definitely looks like a great option if you don't want to spend £400+ on a motorised screen unit.
Could you link the lead you've used for the stalk controls?

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Could you link the lead you've used for the stalk controls?

You need this:

And this:

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Maaaaaaate.

At first I thought this was a proper clueless doohickey installing a radio to their clio when I saw this

SmartSelect_20220515-225348_Chrome.jpg

Honestly what the f**k were you thinking? The finish on that is worse than Jordans face. I'd rub my finger across that and get a blister.

I then saw your pragmatic approach to the install and your in depth review at the end but quite frankly any credibility was notibaly launched into the bin when I refreshed my mind at the fact you've literally cut the f**king hazard switch in half.

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
Maaaaaaate.

At first I thought this was a proper clueless doohickey installing a radio to their clio when I saw this

View attachment 1593278

Honestly what the f**k were you thinking? The finish on that is worse than Jordans face. I'd rub my finger across that and get a blister.

I then saw your pragmatic approach to the install and your in depth review at the end but quite frankly any credibility was notibaly launched into the bin when I refreshed my mind at the fact you've literally cut the f**king hazard switch in half.
I have the same one and left it sticking out a bit without cutting anything and it looks almost the same

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah not so sure about the cutting, I did have a quick look for a better fitting alternative, but the only place selling cheap ones seems to be aliexpress and searching on there is a nightmare.
At least it's a sacrificial panel.

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member

Criticism is easy, but contribution is more valuable.

I’d welcome your input on how it could be done better?

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
I plug a dension into the back of the oe head unit, you lose the cd player. No big deal.

But you can then Bluetooth music from Spotify etc.

I have an android so don't know what other bits you get from Apple car play?

Done that, but you’re back in the situation where you need to interact with your phone to change something. I like the fact CarPlay means you don’t.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Looked at that, but with the PMS Shifter it means your hand is at the same level, and I don’t want to be knocking the screen every time I’m in 1st, 3rd or 5th? 🤷🏼‍♂️
I've not had my clio for a while, but when I had mine I swear the gearstick was pretty much at the level of the radio anyway as I used to rest my hand on the knob and poke the screen from there. I can't imagine the throw on the PMS would be massive anyway so it should be alright.

Never had a problem accessing the hazards etc either.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I've got a dab Kenwood and just use Bluetooth to play whatever music app I want on my phone. It can skip tracks using the headunit, and if I really want something else on I can just tell the phone to play it.

Not sure why you'd want a touchscreen in that place on a Clio, it's far from ideal.

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
I've not had my clio for a while, but when I had mine I swear the gearstick was pretty much at the level of the radio anyway as I used to rest my hand on the knob and poke the screen from there. I can't imagine the throw on the PMS would be massive anyway so it should be alright.

Never had a problem accessing the hazards etc either.

Yours didn't have the right dash in though...

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
Something like this would be easier to use whilst driving: Hikity 9 Inch Single Din Car Stereo with Carplay and Android Auto Bluetooth Car Radio with Rear View Camera Touch Screen MP5 Player Support FM USB SWC Mirror Link for Android/IOS + Extenal Microphone https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09NY1MN4K/?tag=cliospnet01-21

To be fair my Audi has a massive tablet style screen and I still swerve all over the road changing the radio station

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Maaaaaaate.

View attachment 1593278

Whilst I agree sort of… I think the man’s done a great job and just needs to invest in a new hazard panel, trim it a bit more carefully (I’d use a wood planer personally, or a fixed belt sander for a perfect flat edge) then wrap the panel in some generic carbon stuff, and it will look proper.

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
Do you have a link to that, does it require any modifications to the clock area? I have seen similar ones which stick out of a single din slot but never mounted in such a way before.

The one pictured is this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004147324367.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802YIbkTq

...but there are lots of versions and resellers, depending on processor speed, RAM, connections, screen resolution, 4G/5G SIM, wifi, etc. The clock is removed (pops put easily) and is replaced with a plastic stand that fits exactly where the clock is removed. To get the cables up and through, you'll; need to make a hole in the hidden bulkhead beneath where the clock was, which is fairly simple with a dremmel, and hidden once the head unit is installed or the clock replaced. I found it easier to feed the cables up with the airvents below popped out and the glovebox removed.

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
The mk2 Clio has the finest head unit of all the clios I would never swap it out,. I love the way all the numbers and digits were wiped off with elbow grease as it starts to decompose it has the amazing feature of a security code written in sharpie on the top of the case which is utterly useless when you get it back from the garage and have to drive it an hour home, and I love the way it cuts out every time you go over a speed bump.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Being that they're Chinese Android jobs you can't count on anything. You might get steering wheel controls to work, you might get instructions, you might get f**k-all.
I don't rate the Android headunits that highly, they never quite work as well as you'd hope. Plus the audio quality is dogshit.

But I will admit, those top of the dash ones do look pretty decent once installed.

Are the steering wheel controls still usable?
In theory, the supplied box on the right preserves the steering wheel controls, but in practice it relies on the software being provided by the factory that the AliExpress reseller sources from. In the unit that I got, the particular Clio year wasn't listed.

1673002598396.png

In that case you need a Connects2 lead and patch lead. Their telephone customer support is quite good, to help you select the right one.

How was it to install to,
A bit fiddly to get the ISO connectors up into the space underneath the unit. As I said above, to get the cables up and through, you'll need to make a hole in the hidden bulkhead beneath where the clock was, which is fairly simple with a dremmel, and hidden once the head unit is installed or the clock replaced. I found it easier to feed the cables up with the air vents below popped out and the glovebox removed.

did it come with any kind of instructions?

No, but most of the suppliers have detailed diagrams, like the one I posted above.
1673003318334.png
1673003340878.png

Plus the audio quality is dogshit
Don't agree. The one's I've got are far better than the Factory, Alpine and Sony units they replaced. In the 3 cars I've put these in powering driving Focal K2 and Flax speakers with IBus 2.1 subs just fine

Attachments

• 1673002939957.png
    1673002939957.png
    406.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 1673003361579.png
    1673003361579.png
    304.4 KB · Views: 25

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
Trying to achieve something similar, Been in the process of fitting this, with a few adaptations to make it hardwired, and look part of the dash, no wires etc. whilst retaining the orginal headunit, and controls. only issue is the mic that ive wired in up to the cabin light has awful feedback so makes the hands free abit problematic. Still working my way through attaching it against the orginal display screen, looking at some plastic welding with a ball joint as an anchor point etc to attach the screen to .
317F1F14-7808-4C42-81F7-492731260B66.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0918.MOV
    36.2 MB
  • B5B30498-9CA7-48E1-AC3F-CB78873FB45C.jpeg
    B5B30498-9CA7-48E1-AC3F-CB78873FB45C.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 92
  • C1B495C0-8D6F-4A64-A09F-94BD800C6873.jpeg
    C1B495C0-8D6F-4A64-A09F-94BD800C6873.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 91

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Might be an idea to keep that screen cleaner than your camera phone one.....

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Trying to achieve something similar, Been in the process of fitting this, with a few adaptations to make it hardwired, and look part of the dash, no wires etc. whilst retaining the orginal headunit, and controls. only issue is the mic that ive wired in up to the cabin light has awful feedback so makes the hands free abit problematic. Still working my way through attaching it against the orginal display screen, looking at some plastic welding with a ball joint as an anchor point etc to attach the screen to .View attachment 1629413
Great work sir!! I’m all for bringing the new tech to these older cars!!