ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap Coilovers better that lowering springs?

J9HHY

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Silver Cup
I have Eibach Pro's on at the moment, now I have stripped the car the ride height is high. I don't have the funds to buy mega expensive coilovers buy my goal is to drop the car a bit and to improve performance. Would I get this from a bottom of the range coilovers? If so can anyone reccomend me some? Also what dissadvantages would I get from low range ones?

J9HHY

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Silver Cup
Fred can you give me a link to an example of the cheapest you would go for? I don't mind buying used, and in no rush so can look out for some.

Clio 182
Fred,

It seems people make a lot of unneccesary upgrades when there are cheaper options available to suit their needs. What's your opinion on eibach springs on standard (good condition) shocks on a 182 that has a penchant for highly spirited road driving? Is there anything else you would add to this setup...anti roll bar?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Fred,

It seems people make a lot of unneccesary upgrades when there are cheaper options available to suit their needs. What's your opinion on eibach springs on standard (good condition) shocks on a 182 that has a penchant for highly spirited road driving? Is there anything else you would add to this setup...anti roll bar?
I did lol at a 182 driving itself.

Clio 182
I'm not an aggressive driver - the 182 has a mind of its own and just takes over :evil:

Who am I to deny it of a good ragging? ;)

J9HHY

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Silver Cup
Not sure what other upgrade would help me lose some height! How much do koni dampers go for 2nd hand?

172 Cup
Other than a £30 chip which gave my Fiat Coupe turbo and instant extra 30Bhp the raceland coilovers that I have put on my Cup are the best mod I have ever done especially in terms of value for money.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Tbh my current 'cheap' Ktec coilovers perform very well once setup correctly along with a full geometry setup, looking to get Fk's in the future if the Clio is alive long enough though.

J9HHY

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Silver Cup
So could I just get some Koni dampers to go with my eibach springs? Would this lower the car in anyway or just improve performance?

PH1 iceburg
You could always get some custom springs made at coilsprings.co.uk. THey will make them to you specifications i.e loweing and poundage. Good price too

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I have Eibach Pro's on at the moment, now I have stripped the car the ride height is high. I don't have the funds to buy mega expensive coilovers buy my goal is to drop the car a bit and to improve performance. Would I get this from a bottom of the range coilovers? If so can anyone reccomend me some? Also what dissadvantages would I get from low range ones?

Get what you pay for. I got my fingers (badly) burnt by the GAZ stuff and they are £500 ish! cheap build, crap damping/rebound. This all help ruin my old Cup. I've since had H&R on a 172/182/197, and imo are prefect for a fast road set up. I'm now running Bilstein B14's on my 'new' 172 Cup lol. Like these also, infact i like them better than the H&R's as they still look like new 6 months down the line. Koni dampers and Sportline springs would be also on my list if i didn't have the budget for decent coilies.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My mk1 Valver had Gaz coilovers on them when I bought it and they were average at best.

I now have FK Konigsports and the difference is night and day, seriously.

J9HHY

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Silver Cup
They seem pretty reasonable too in the scheme of things. how much do they lower car?

My mk1 Valver had Gaz coilovers on them when I bought it and they were average at best.

I now have FK Konigsports and the difference is night and day, seriously.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Fks? Well the front wings are sat level with the top of the wheel and they can go down another 4 inches... :S

The rear of mine is Torsion bar.

Look for Robbos car on here in the project section. Thats my old car and is on FK Silverlines and I did 2 track days with them and thought they were very good! Cheaper than Konigsports too.

J9HHY

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Silver Cup
Am i the only person that doesnt really have a problem with the standard RS suspension :S
##

Have you stripped yours? Mine now sits very high where the loss in weight has happened. Also I so get pretty bad under steer on track, so a proper set-up would help me out. For a standard car I think the standard RS suspension is awesome!

172 5HED
Stripped ours completely so I know how high they sit mate, I bought the cheapest coilies I could as it needed new shocks all round. For £250 they were worth it!