ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap V6 insurance? Or does hell freeze over first?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Goddamit - car insurance is just a friggin' joke. We've just spent the past couple of hours trying to find a relatively cheap insurance quote for Jain on her Vee and are literally going around in circles.

Clearly (as has been said a million times before) the age of the driver, the mileage driven per year, the number of years with a clean licence and the number of NCBs seems to make jack difference with cars like these. It just seems to be so heavily influenced by postcode that this factor alone dictates a sensible quote, to a "yeah, right" quote.

I just wish we could take pictures of where we live and the fact that we aren't on a main road and send these to an insurer. Through the descretion of the Post Office, we are tied in with Bolton and one of their postcodes (BL9) which is high risk. High risk from what? A wondering horse with it's rider or is it that car that comes by once every two hours?

Apologies for the mindless rant, but it just really fecks me off. What risk the insurance company thinks you are compared to reality, are often as far apart as can be. God knows how 18 year-old drivers cope these days in anything more than a 600cc egg-box, located in some barn on the Isle of Arran and with a yearly mileage of less than 50.

Anyone got any suggestions for Vee insurance? We're struggling with anything under £900 at the moment - over £250 over last year's premium. Fecking insurance. Pay more, get even fecking less back. I really do hate them with a passion. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

D.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
insurance is a joke, i brought my 1.2 brand new at 18 and i had two years no claims from my ped which i got to keep and pass plus and it was still over 1k, i got 2 or 3 quotes for 3,4 grand :|

Ad

MK2 FRS
Have you tried A plan??? Where very competitive for me when i quoted on a VEE.

Good underwriter as well. Worth a shot.

M2 Competition
£900 quid! feck me thats cheap! you dont wanna know what i pay!

Out of interest, whats her job?

On mine, different jobs made up to a grands difference when i was testing quotes, and its insured for social only and not driven to work!

Monaro VXR
Know what its like with the postcode thing i come under the Bury area but have a Manchester postcode. And i get stung fairly hard on insurance quotes. Although should have seen the quotes i got at my old address in city centre.

My insurance since moving back to prestwich/ whitefield area has more than halved. I wouldnt say this is a particularly bad area most people seem to think its a nice area yet its a high risk place.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for the feedback guys.

Addz - my point exactly!!! First time insurance is usually several times the value of the car!

Ads - I'll give A-Plan a go today - see how they fair. Cheers!

Pep's - her official job title is strategic partner manager, so in most cases, manager seems to fit the bill. Though with the Arcane Workings of the Master Insurance Database - I don't know if that's a good or bad thing to put? The worst thing about this circa £900 quote is that it's just for Jain alone. I haven't even added myself to the quote yet. :(

Chris - Elephant wouldn't touch it (?) and I think it was the same with Sky. I'll check those others out though. Thanks m8.

Wozzaa - is yours under an 'M' postcode now then? I would have thought the insurance firms would blanket them all as high risk?

D.

RS Clio 200
how many years no claims she got?
If she got 4 try Privilege. They were 200 quid cheaper than any other for me.

23 - 4years ncb - Clio 172 - £550

V6 Mk2 & 197
Best place is try somewhere like adrian flux or norwich union, IT cost me £582 to insure mine and i am only 20 but have 3 years NCD

172 Cup
Postcodes are a joke.

When I used to live with my parents it was in quite an affluent area surrounded by golf courses and farms (Bryan Robson is one of their neighbours now ;) ) the insurance cost me more than it does now 500 yards from Walsall town centre!?!?!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
neil@greenlightinsurance said:
We cannot quote for BL9 postcodes due to our bad claims experience from the area.

Just for reference Our rates on V6's start at £700 so if anyone would like a quote please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

www.greenlightinsurance.com

With all due respect Neil, the postcode situation is a very poor indicator at best. We are the middle house of a row of 5 cottages on an unadopted highway. One side to us has lived there for 29 years, the other 16 years and neither have ever said that there's been a problem in the area. Out of pure interest, we have tried it with our old postcode (starting OL10) and got a cheaper quote? Put bluntly, you would have to be MAD to even consider owning a Vee where we used to live in Heywood. The same location in Heywood that now has CCTV due to groups of scallies and scroats causing trouble. Yet on this occasion, Computer Says Yes, so it's cheaper there. :S Looks like Griff's pointed out a similar situation too.

Jain is 41, has no points or convictions - has over 11 years NCB and does a mere 3,500 miles per year. Yet the premium has still gone up by over £250 for the same car in same location.

If she had gained points, modded the car, or we moved to a dodgy area, then I could understand. As it is, I just think the whole insurance situation is totally one-sided. It's a legal requirement and for that we are shafted by whatever figure the insurance companies give us. Because at the end of the day, we're honest and due to that reason alone we're footing the bill for the rest of the loosers who happily laugh at us and get away with lying about their details - or even evading payment altogether.

I guess it would be cheaper in the long run, to dismantle the house brick by brick so it's out of the Bolton postcode trap (8.8 miles away) and rebuild it 200 yards to the east. Then we would come under Oldham's postcodes territory which clearly, is far, far less of a risk.

And yes, I am being a cynical b*****d. Not your fault, I know, but the entire situation is pathetic.

D.

S13
stoddie said:
^^ was gonna say this....

try a relatives address in a lower risk area?

Surely that defeats the object, if she then has to claim wouldn't that void the policy?

They just shouldn't have to stoop to that level to get a decent quote in the first place..

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
s-gunner said:
Best place is try somewhere like adrian flux or norwich union, IT cost me £582 to insure mine and i am only 20 but have 3 years NCD

You must live in a decent area, m8. Cheapest I got last year was £760 on the 182 - aged 30 at the time, driving 13 years, no points, no convictions and 11 years no claims. Most of the insurers laugh if I try and get onto Jain's Vee, let alone struggling with the 182. Going off the current farce, if I get anywhere under £900 this year, I'll be amazed. Yet I'm supposed to bend over and take it without whinging. :quiet:

D.

neil@greenlightinsurance said:
We cannot quote for BL9 postcodes due to our bad claims experience from the area.

Just for reference Our rates on V6's start at £700 so if anyone would like a quote please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

www.greenlightinsurance.com

I'm sorry but Greenlight don't cover much. I don't think their much of an insurance company to be honest. They only cover what they want to!

I'm currently with Greenlight and I can tell you that i'll be leaving in less than a month from your company. Not because of the prices you charge which I think are fair and sometimes lower than most companies but because of the cars and postcodes you don't cover and all the various other reasons which I haven't discovered yet which gets you out of covering a car.

Highway Insurance is who i'm with through Greenlight, I rang up once and asked for a quote on a car. I got the answer of "No, our insurance providers don't insure that car because of bad claims history". I ring up Adrian Flux and they said they will insure me no problem with that car. I asked who the insurer was. Guess who they said? "Highway Insurance". ;)

I think i'll be taking my custom to Adrian Flux.

Not having a dig Neil. Granted you'll be loosing me as a customer and I may only be a single customer but how many more people will you loose due to these circumstances?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Addz said:
insurance is a joke, i brought my 1.2 brand new at 18 and i had two years no claims from my ped which i got to keep and pass plus and it was still over 1k, i got 2 or 3 quotes for 3,4 grand :|

what company accepted ur ped ncd? i have 1 years on a ped also but cudnt find any1 2 accept it