ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chemical Metal In High Pressure Applications

172 Cup
Evening All,

Basically a while back decided to kill my diesel run around, by snapping the glow plugs into the head.

Managed to drill out and heli coil three of four cylinders, however on the fourth part of the thread on the head snapped off.
Managed to get a heli coil to stay put and then reattached the snapped bit off using chemical metal. The car starts and runs fine, however on the fourth cylinder it's spewing out diesel and exhaust fumes near the glow plug. Would applying several layers of chemical metal over the whole of the glow plug area, offer any sort of additional strength or would the pressure continue to blow it open?

Thanks
Mark x

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Always get the engine hot before removing glow plugs ;)

Is a new head from a breaker not an option?

I don't think you'll have much luck with the chemical metal route.

172 Cup
Sadly the engine was warm, but the glow plugs were the originals. Meaning they were over 12 years old at the time, which is what I think caused the resistance....

It could be an option, but trying to avoid it at the minute in case any more bolts etc decide to sheer off etc.

Suppose I can only try layering it up and going from there.

172 Cup
Well I thought I'd give it a stab and it continued to leak. I've spotted where the problem is, on the back side of the glow plug it appears that the heli coil hasn't taken properly.

http://db.tt/Nw6MVTwX

You can kind of see it on the top side in the picture.

Would welding be a possible option?

Thanks
Mark x