ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Choosing a Renaultsport Clio

Hello im about to finish uni and ive decided I want to get back into cars again, ive been after something with a bit of poke behind it and discovered sporty clio's. Im specificly looking at 172 cups and 182 cups. I would appreciate those of you who have knowledge about these two cars to help me decide between them, im not really interested in the ff versions of these cars as they dont really appeal but maybe im being naive here? Thanks!

Why would you suggest the 172 cup, I do understand its lighter and has better bhp/ per tonne according to EVO but i want a car i can enjoy all the time and i fear the 172 maybe too compromising...

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Be under no illusion that the Cup's are massivley different in performance.

Its obviously been done to death but in any sense they are all typically the same pace. To add the Cups have absolutley cancerous interior

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Personally if you are considering a 182 of any sort then go for that, newer cars, so should be better to own Also with 182's I wouldn't get a cup, I personally don't see the point. If money is tighter tho then has to be a 172, bang for buck they are great. For me it had to be a 172 cup, I love mine.

tbh tho, no matter which one you get ph1 172 all the way to a trophy, you will love it and won't regret it!

I think my limit will prob be about 4700 for the car which gives me plenty of options in the 172 cup section and some nice examples in 182 cup but not so many. What about ff cars with cup chassis does this change them dranaticly dynamicly. as you can probably tell im really undecided lol. The low rent interiors i can prob live with but ive noticed many vary in trim quality is there reason for this?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I think my limit will prob be about 4700 for the car which gives me plenty of options in the 172 cup section and some nice examples in 182 cup but not so many. What about ff cars with cup chassis does this change them dranaticly dynamicly. as you can probably tell im really undecided lol. The low rent interiors i can prob live with but ive noticed many vary in trim quality is there reason for this?

Cups i.e both the 172/182 cups have cloth trim.

All the 172's (non cups) have alacantra and half leather.

All 182's (non cups) also have alacantra and half leather.

I dont know if the cloth interior is lighter all in but it looks pish imo.

Octavia VRS
Don't f!!k around man, get a 182 ff!I don't think ur gunna be feeling a massive weight difference to the cup! An the cup interior looks gash! Plus, cruise control, AC and xenons make the ff that little more special imo!

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I've had a 172Cup, and recently got myself a 182FF. I used to love the 'rawness' of the Cup, but the interior could do with changing.

In the 182, I prefer the interior and the toys...maybe its me getting older, but I think the 182 is the better place to be.

Remember, that the 172Cups will have higher mileage due to their age and because they are so good to drive.

The 172Cup was a proper alternative to the 172, whereas the 182Cup is just a couple of changes to fit into a price.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Yes, if you are getting a 182, non cup, make sure it has both the cup packs (thus making it a ff)

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Yes, if you are getting a 182, non cup, make sure it has both the cup packs (thus making it a ff)

If you are not planning on fitting coilovers in the future, then I could go for a 182 ff (ie a 182 with bup packs fitted). But if you are planning on coilovers you will have more choice with a non cupped 182 (I think this is true, if someone can can confirm).

What people are saying is true imo. The difference between the 172 and 172 cup is pretty big (what actual difference it makes is for your judgement). The 182's are all much more similar, and the 182 ff seems to get the best of everything!

Personally I don't regret getting a 172 cup, interior doesn't bother me and I love how it drives.

that really helps me decide, so are 182 ff generally cheaper than the cups at the mo also wot differences are there between cup and ff on insurance... if anyone knows...

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
that really helps me decide, so are 182 ff generally cheaper than the cups at the mo also wot differences are there between cup and ff on insurance... if anyone knows...

182s will be more expensive due to age, mileage and equipment.

The 172 Cups are the harder to insure...some companies won't insure 172Cups. The 182 is a group 16, the 172Cup is a Group 16D (could have changed though).

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
phase 1 172 would be my choice, much rawer than the ph2 cars i love mine same weight as the cup or their abouts, still get the luxury of half leather and air con, smaller 15" wheels make it handle better and make it more fun and chuckable, plus tyres are cheaper to go! plus £2500 buys you a complete minter!

182 cups are pointless they arnt as focused and light weight as the 172 cup was, the 172 cup had the cloth interior too but had no airbags in the seats which was lighter. and obviously no abs where the 182 cup had abs. 172 also had lighter glass

DB.

BMW 440i
Where you located mate? Steve on here (Look in the traders section) always sells minters!

Im based in london, im really doing research at the mo so i can find the right car for me, i think it would pay to see the different cars in the flesh, i do like the sound of the 182 ff but i seem to be having trouble locating them on auto trader will try pistonheads nxt, isit worth sighning up here then ?

DB.

BMW 440i
Look in the traders section at Steve@Renaultsport cars. He found and sold mine to me. Top guy.

He is based in London also.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Im based in london, im really doing research at the mo so i can find the right car for me, i think it would pay to see the different cars in the flesh, i do like the sound of the 182 ff but i seem to be having trouble locating them on auto trader will try pistonheads nxt, isit worth sighning up here then ?

Cheers Dave-

PM ME if you have any Enquiries-

Im surprised noone has mentioned colours on the cups-

If you want a 182 cup you are restricting yourself to Racing blue & Inferno or mondial blue on the 172 cup....

If your buying a cup to gain that extra bit if speed & are not interested in toys then a 172 Cup is the car for you-

If you do fancy a few creature comforts buy a 172 or 182 non cup-

Your price range suits you more for a 172 cup for around 4k with some money in the bank as spare-
182 wise 4.7 isnt quite there -- 4.8k- 5k will get you a reasonable car & low 5's should get a sub 50k miler if you are happy to wait around-

Simply put 172 cup for speed & price budget-

182 NON cup for creature comforts if you are happy to push to a few more pound notes-

Steve

Right thats certainly something to think about, shame they fall just outside my price range still i am thinking of purchasing the car in september when im 24 for insurance purposes that and i should have gained another years no claims from my current policy. heres hoping they will drop a bit!! Thanks alot for sharing your knowldge with me :)

Last edited:

DB.

BMW 440i
Ahh, Probably need to be a full member. Its worth it if your definately buying a 1*2.

Iceberg 172
Why is it people think the Cup is a raw track car and a FF / 172 is a luxurious old bus!?!? They all have cheap s**t interiors which weigh feck all... I used to have a TT so I know what I nice interior feels like!

All of them are fantastic fun! You won't notice a difference in performance and unless you intend on keeping it bog std then the handling advantage from a Cup is non existant.

MKV R32

i may be stating the obvious here but the FF bit is generally a forum term for full fat, so if your searching on auto trader for "182 FF" you'll very rarely find one.

MCS R56
Be under no illusion that the Cup's are massivley different in performance.

Its obviously been done to death but in any sense they are all typically the same pace. To add the Cups have absolutley cancerous interior

Rather harsh...none of the 1*2's had a fantastic interior. The PH1 interior is terrible. Anyone buying a Clio for interior luxuries are in the wrong car section.