ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chromecast

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
So it's basically Apple TV without all the features? Lol

Basically. At that price its tempting to buy loads and scatter them all round the house.

​But it wont replace my ATV.

Inferno 182 CUP
All it does is mirror YouTube, Netflix and chrome tabs. That is it! - hardly an atv alternative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Rav4
All it does is mirror YouTube, Netflix and chrome tabs. That is it! - hardly an atv alternative

The ATV, unless jailbroken doesn't really provide much though really.

The interface is shocking, functionality is not that great. Very limited. Albeit saying that, it's a nice product.

At least this one connects to a NAS and all of that, which the ATV2 doesn't.

Wonder if plex will work on it, if it does, then AWESOME !!!

G

Cupra

The interface is shocking, functionality is not that great. Very limited. Albeit saying that, it's a nice product.

I'd agree, but coupled with a home server and/or iDevice and it's a must have.
There are also ways to run Plex on it locally, without a Jailbreak, albeit with a few bugs at the minute.

Rav4
There are also ways to run Plex on it locally, without a Jailbreak, albeit with a few bugs at the minute.

Agreed too :)

What an awesome idea to do it through the channels, but we know that loop will be closed off soon.

We need a true multimedia tool, I think Plex is the way to go, but we need some compatible/reliable devices and the ATV2/3's are good, but not brilliant. Shame.

Now that these smart TV's such as Samsung/LG have Plex built in, kind of makes these devices defunct, specially with the quadcore TV's.

Anyhow, $35 dollars for the Chromecast, is awesome.

Inferno 182 CUP

At least this one connects to a NAS and all of that, which the ATV2 doesn't.

Wonder if plex will work on it, if it does, then AWESOME !!!

G

Mirroring is a big one. Proper mirroring. iTunes content ..

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Just use airplay, works perfectly. iOS device controlling it allows you to multitask too.

The DNS thing is mega janky

Can't wait for this imo, will be really useful!

I agree, i think the autoswitching thing is the killer element. Someone less tech savvy like my parents will love it.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
But it can't just play media on the device? No?

i.e my computer's is sitting here, it has a film on it, if I open this in something, say, vlc, is that going to work?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Nope. The content (for now) must exist online.

All you do is redirect the chromecast dongle to pick that up.

Cupra
Just use airplay, works perfectly. iOS device controlling it allows you to multitask too.

The DNS thing is mega janky

I agree, i think the autoswitching thing is the killer element. Someone less tech savvy like my parents will love it.

It's just the surround sound that you miss with AirPlay. Not the end of the world,but it is nice to have sometimes.