ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cigarette Lighter Amp Limit

How many amps can I safely put through the cigarette lighter ? I was gong to connect an inverter to the cigarette lighter and then connect a PS2 and TFT Monitor to it, will this be ok ?

If not, how else can I connect all this up ?

Cheers...........

Polo + Micra

i think the total load on the cigarette lighter is 10A (may be wrong)

i think you would need a seperate supply

Scenic mk1 (F3R)

put a new feed to the fuse box ive done this b4 not all that hard aint tried on my clio yet though but will be soon for extra stuff

If the inverter comes with a cigar lighter lead then you might be ok, but it depends on what loads it draws. It would be better to run a fused supply direct from the battery with a remote switch on.

If it is a proper inverter this will not cause a problem as they are designed and setup for useage from Cig Lighter.. They have an additional inline fuse..

I am currently using one of these for my PS2 and its working fine

Quote: Originally posted by wrx-172 on 30 July 2004

If it is a proper inverter this will not cause a problem as they are designed and setup for useage from Cig Lighter.. They have an additional inline fuse..

I am currently using one of these for my PS2 and its working fine
wrx, you have the PS2 setup in your car ? What else is running off this inverter ? The screen too ?

Where can I find out about the limit I can put throught the ciggie lighter ?

Does anyone know how much a PS2 takes up ?

Screens are ran from a separate switchable source.. Only PS2 Is running off inverter.. What exactly are you looking at running of cig source?

Polo + Micra

if you do use the cig lighter make sure the in-line fuse with the inverter is the same size/smaller than the car one for that cig supply

Quote: Originally posted by wrx-172 on 14 August 2004

Screens are ran from a separate switchable source.. Only PS2 Is running off inverter.. What exactly are you looking at running of cig source?
Sorry, just seen this, didnt think anyone was going to reply.

I have a TFT monitor which has a cigarette lighter power cable and also a normal 240V power supply too. I then have my unmodified PS2 which obviously runs off the 240V power supply too.

What I was going to do is plug the inverter into the cigarette lighter and then plug the screen and PS2 into the inverter.

Is there a better way to do this ? If there is, please let me know. Is there a different power source I can use to run the inverter as the screen can just plug into the cigarette lighter then.

Any help would be fantastic.

Cheers,

Dai

I had a flip out screen in my 93 RT which was connected to the stereo loom as I had another DIN minidisc player in the original slot.

I was running a PS2 off a power inverter and had no problems so you should be fine. Mine had a protect system so if there was too much current going through it would switch off. This very rarely happened.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Cheers AdzC, can you explain to me what was plugged in where ? The inverter was plugged into the ciggie lighter and then the PS2 into the inverter ?

The power inverter is a box with one wire coming off it with a cigarette lighter plug on the end.

The box has a mains 3 pin plug socket on the other side with an on/off switch.

Theyre all pretty much the same but you dont need one with a max rating of more than 150 watts which is what I had.

If you really wanted to you could remove the cigarette lighter plug and hard wire it.

Cheers

You plug the power inverter into the cigarette lighter and the PS2 into the power inverter. This converts 12v into the 230v needed to run the PS2.

Youre screen will already be 12v and so can be wired to your existing loom/ignition live wire.

I havent bothered in my new car mate as I sold my car with everything to my younger brother.

I just bought one from the local A1 store where my mate works. Cost me £30.

You dont need anything fancy. If youre only running a PS2 a basic power inverter from any car accessory shop will be more than good enough.

Cheers

Thanks for that mate, you have been a big help.

One last question, how hard is it to wire the screen to the existing loom/ignition live wire ?

Will try and sort something out this weekend if I can, will get some pics up.

My screen only had two wire coming off it. +ve and -ve obviously.

All I did was connect the +ve to my permanent live and earthed the -ve to an existing earth. Worked absoloutely fine.

My screen had 2 av inputs and an sv output. Simply plugged the PS2 av wire (the yellow one) into here and the sound came through my speakers courtesy of an fm modulator.

Cheers

Thanks mate, very much appreciate your help.

I am also going to be using an FM modulator.

A trip to Maplins on the weekend then I think !

No problem mate. Need any more help then pm me.

Think Maplin is where I got my fm modulator from. Just make sure you set it up well and itll be a good system.

Cheers