ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cirlcip welding.

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
just had the boy round to look at my car and the where the circlips needing welded into and gonna get it done in the next few days,
i have got mattblacks post saved in my bookmarks and also a picture saved on my computer of the circlip welded into place,

wondering how precise the welds have to be to allow the driveshaft in and to sit right as we have one shot at it and dont want t f*ck my gearbox,

also will the diff still move in and out when welded or will the clip+washer hold diff in

other inputs/views would be gratefull as said we only got one shot at this

thanks.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
weld the circlip only to the housing

leave the washer behind and the driveshaft free :p

IMG_2382.jpg

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
weld the circlip only to the housing

leave the washer behind and the driveshaft free :p

leave the driveshaft free??:S

it seems the cv gaitor and the 3 knuckles will miss the washer/circlip as the gaitor sits an inch in from the entrance and the knuckles should go in past the clip/washer,or will it?

my clip popped out and driveshaft became loose so had to get new shaft/s and new clip,weld it in and a gallon o oil

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
surely if its welded it would only come loose again with harsh drivshaft movements

the picture thats posted above only has 3 or 4 spots on it but the pic i have saved has like 6 welds about an inch and not just spots so surely the better its welded the stronger its going to be

HBT 172 Cup
surely if its welded it would only come loose again with harsh drivshaft movements

the picture thats posted above only has 3 or 4 spots on it but the pic i have saved has like 6 welds about an inch and not just spots so surely the better its welded the stronger its going to be

It does, it just seems to break through the weld.

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
break threw on good welds or just spots?or it does with harsh movements?
could just weld right round it maybe?

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
as i mentioned
people have pics of spot welds when others have like inch welds and depending on how much abuse your driveshaft is getting,
and yea people have more power than others,

matteh what do you mean by leave the washer behind and driveshaft free??

thanks,

'92 172, Lotus Elise
the circlip holds a washer in place, but the washer should be free to move, so only weld the circlip, not the washer

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
what movement does the washer need? yea ill put both washer+clip in then weld clip,
does the washer or clip get in the way of the shaft going in atall?

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
is there a slot for the little bit on the circlips noticed that on the pics i have both dont have the bit in where i would think it would go,
where the long-nose pliars would tention the clip it seems to be where there is a litle gap which i wouldave thought the little sticky out bit would go into and the bits for tightning would be at the other side of the circle,

also a few questions in this post which im still unsure of could someone read over and clarify a few of my points please,

thanks,

FF RB 182
Apparently, if you want a strong weld don't use spot welds. As a general rule of thumb, a 0.250" (quarter inch) weld which is an inch in length, will take 1 Ton of force to shear it. This is what Gaz has been told by qualified welders.

Lionel Richie
what a 1/4 inch in penetration? you'll struggle to penetrate 6mm in this instance!!!

the old 1 inch of weld = 1 ton of force does ring true, but thats on a min of 1.6mm thick using the hounsfeild (IIRC) test method (ie stretch test) same "strength" if you will on same material thickness can be achieved on all forms of welding, MIG, TIG, gas and ARC (well close enough if you're good!)

so the 1/4inch weld x 1inch long is incorrect if you're on about penetration thickness, 1/4inch penetration is major heavy industry! 1/4 inch pen x 1inch long should theoretically support upto 4tons, but i have consumed stella, so i might be off slightly! ;)

ITB'd MK1
also have to account for dissimilar metals, those welds can looks strong, but fracture very easily if the steels are very different (which they will be as the circlip is a spring for a start)

ITB'd MK1
bet those dont get used often though, most pics i've seen are a blob of MIG or straight TIG with what looks like virtually no filler rod used

Lionel Richie
certain materials when TIG'ing won't take that well (if you know what to look for) something like 308 or 311 (IIRC, its been a while!) are excellent on dissimilar stainless for example

CDS to 4130 again requires a specific weld rod, or you could just "blob it up with MIG"

172 Clio Sport
hey guys any updates on this thread. Mine circlip failed on me today left my car stranded at work. Till i get it towed on Monday to the mechanie. So how many other guys have there circlip welded in and how long has it lasted for?

Just want to get an understanding on how long I can expect before it going again?

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
can anyone answer my question about the little sticky out bit of the circlp+washer in the pics ive found they dont seem to be in the little gap where i wouldave thought that it would sit in,
also "leaving the washer free" does it need much space or just hard back as it will go them circlip hard to it,
does the circlip+washer get in the way of anything once its in or the welds get in the way of anything,
does the clip+washer just basically keep where the shaft goes into the gearbox(diff?)from spinning freely as when its moved out towards the hub it will spin round but when pushed into the box that 5-10mm its solid and where i want it to be?
thanks,

LY 182
i dont think welding it in will work personally the clip is one a spring and 2 too thin so putting enough heat to melt it (ie welding) will cause the metal around the weld to turn brittle and it will crack round the weld next time it trys to jump out

no expert but thats what i'd have thought

172 Clio Sport
Im going to try and get mine welded and go from there. .
I think by note having it welded it in there may cause it to happen again unexpectedly.

renault clio
I've had the passenger side driveshaft jump out of the gearbox on 2 occassions(S-reg Clio 1.2 8v),the mechanic says theres not much gripping the driveshaft in to the box where the circlip goes,so does anyone know the answer to stopping this happening again,thanks.