ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Civic Type R EP3 and 182 Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody driven both that can objectively say how they compare? I am looking to buy a nice standard example for road use and maybe a couple of track days a year.

Thanks

Rs 182
Oh no im in for it, but who cares...
I had an Ep3 for nearly 3years and i will admit i prefered it to my 182ff... Thats why i can't wait to sell,, I hardly drive it now left it for the missus..
I fell for the old Quote Pound 4 Pound (if you now what i mean)

keo

Clio Trophy
I had a premier type r and hated it mate, i love my clio though. Will admit the engine, box and general build quality of the civic was alot better than my clio

Stonefish- interesting to hear that you preferred the Civic to the Clio- can I ask why? How much bigger does it feel to drive than the Clio?

keo- why didn't you get on with the Civic? You say the engine and box were better, how do the two cars compare speed wise in a straight line? Which car would you say handles better?

Any more people that have driven the two?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Imagine a CTR engine/box, with a Renaultsport chassis

That would be awesome

keo

Clio Trophy
Imagine a CTR engine/box, with a Renaultsport chassis

That would be awesome

would be brilliant!!

G Ster, speed wise the civic and clio are quite similar up to about 80-100 where the type r is quicker. Handling wise, the civic does handle well, but its the electric power steering which spoiled it. So i didnt have the confidence in the car to go fast around a bend. The suspension is quite still so i was left thinking whats the point in having this if i darent push it.
The clio on the other hand gives lots of feed back so you have confidence init. It also feels more flickable with it being smaller

Thanks for the reply keo. It sounds like the Civic and Clio are both good but in different areas. I think the only way to find out which one I prefer is to test drive a few..

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
^ What keo said.

I found the engine irritating tbh, the revs and gearing made it feel like pedalling a bike in first gear. The mechanical build quiality and noise is fantastic though.

pimp mobile Zafira
I had an ep3 and absolutely loved it. Both cars are very similar. The civic is a bigger car and better built. The Clio on the other hand is like a go kart. No matter which one you get you'll have a lot of fun.

keo

Clio Trophy
Yes they are both good. Just test drive them see what you think. My civic did improve when I fitted toyos, a fast road set up supposdely transforms them again. If I was to have another honda I wouldnt mind trying a dc2 or dc5. Cant see me getting rid of the trophy though

auckly- I have been reading on various forums that the Civic has a better build quality than the Clio. Does this mean the Clio is shabby and prone to falling apart/ making strange noises etc or is the Civic typically Japanese and especially good?

andywa- its good to read on a Clio forum that the Civic is still held it high regard, sometimes people can be shot down for asking car1 v car2 questions on enthusiast forums? Is the Clio more agile that the Civic? Which of the two cars has better front end grip and which is more playful in the handling department- what I'm asking here is which car s more willing to oversteer?

keo- I know a lot of a car's handling comes down to tyres and a geometry set up, from what I have read the both cars are very similar as standard so it will come down to details to separate them both. I would like a DC2 like you mention but have more of an itch for either a 182 or Type R at the moment. Is the trophy worth more outlay compared to a regular 182 Cup? Can the difference of the dampers really be felt that much?

Tbh my Cup use to be able to match CTRs at the higher end of the MPH scale. Having driven my mates though (not enthusiastically) the build quality is worlds apart and that gearbox is brilliant.

pimp mobile Zafira
The best way to describe it is for straight line speed go for the civic. If you want fun in the bends then go for the Clio. For me the Clio is more poised and more forgiving in the bends. So for Santa pod type driving go for civic and for Nurburg stuff go with the Clio.

Status
Not open for further replies.