ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CL RC5+ pads knocking?

Evo
Fitted CL RC5+ pads to the front of the 172 last night, at the time I didn't take much notice but these pads are missing the top anti rattle springs standard pads come with.

This has resulted in a most concerning knock when I hit bumpy roads as I assume the pad 'jumps' about in the caliper, I know it's the pads as when I hold the brakes over the bumps it's quiet. You can actually reach through the wheels with a screwdriver and move it about quite substantially up an down. I'm sure it's secure and not going anywhere but the knocking driving me mad. Is this normal or have I missed something? Why would they not fit the springs, it's not like I paid for cheap budget pads.

Evo
Any performance reason why they are missing or just poorly designed? And nobody suggest weight saving...

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Probably down to when they get hot the expand quite a lot. I took both of my anti rattle clips before fitting them.

Evo
Joys of a track focused pad then, guess I'll have to put up with the knocking lol, strangely only does it on one side...

HBT 172 Cup
Drove me insane so i removed them and refitted normal road pads.

They rattle and knock horribly over the smallest surface imprefection and make the car sound like it was built out of lego.

I plan to retrofit some springs to make them STFU.

Evo
If you come up with a solution let me know, they should offer the spring as a road option. The misses keeps asking me if the wheels falling off!

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Have a look in my project blog, I fitted some Elise caliper rubber buffers on mine to help.

Think it's helped a bit. But alos fitted a set of spring clips from an old set of pads.

Mine were Pagid RS2-4's though so might have too large a gap on CL's.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
I liked the rattling/clanking when I had mine. Stopped as soon as they got up to temperature on track...seems to me that they expand and fill the calipers properly.

I just turn my radio up to drown out the noises they make. :clown:

Evo
That's just the thing though, mines not a race car and it'll be lucky to see a track either. Only fitted them as they impressed me for so many years in my 197 and with the 4 pot pin locking design they can't rattle so didn't have this issue lol!

Clio 182, Astra Sri
I had these in mine, good pads once you get used to how much they need to be warmed up and kept at temperature

But yes, noisy as feck. Sound like A bus rolling up to a junction lol

I'm now on some silent oem pads haha,
I'll keep the cl's for that track day ill always be planning in my head

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
Same on the mk1 - the guy told me no CL pads have anti rattle clips on!

Rubbish!

Evo
The sqeauling I can cope with, I think thats racey lol. But the knocking sounds like the hubs about to fall off, EBC have a rubber coating on the back of theirs, perhaps that's a solution?

HBT 172 Cup
Fitted my CL pads back on today but retrofitted some anti rattle clips for anyone whos interested, not the neatest job, but they worked perfectly :)

Shitty mintex pads removed from car, the clip pop off using a screwdriver and hammer pretty easy. Drill holes in CL pads, hit new clips in :)

DSC01833Custom.jpg

DSC01834Custom.jpg

Evo
Thanks Laine that's not a bad solution there. I thought I could live with it but everyone who gets in my car asks why the suspension sounds like it's going to fall off lol!

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Sorry to bump an old thread I was getting this until recently. Found that the pad had slipped so the anti rattle spring was half poking through the hole in the caliper and this caused a clunk going over bumps etc. Refitting the pads curred the issue (I actually changed the pads entirely)