ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clarke CP180 Polisher Advice

PH1 172 Sport
Girlfriends dad has a Clarke CP180 which he's hardly ever used. I was hoping it would be good enough for minor correction etc?

If it is what backing plates, pads and polish would people recommend I get to start with? Car is Iceberg silver and I would also like to use the polisher to revive my headlights.

I've never used a machine polisher before so all advice is welcome!!

Thanks

If you've not used a polisher before, I wouldn't start with that one. It is basically a rotary and therefore creates a lot of heat. It will also, therefore, cut very quickly.

With Renault Clio paint, you barely need any cut what so ever. I would advise against using the machine above and get yourself a DA.

PH1 172 Sport
Thanks for the reply I understand that it will cut very easily sue to the heat it produces but surely if I’m careful and keep the speed/pressure low and don’t spend too long in the same area it shouldn’t be a problem? I really don’t have the money for a DA and would like to get this working if possible.
I’m not an idiot so hopefully with some careful guidance that shouldn’t be a problem? The first thing I want to do with it is my headlights doing the paint work will come at a later date providing I feel confident enough to give it a go.

It is of course up to you buddy. But the simple fact is you don't know about machine polish and therefore how to do it, so could potentially cause damage. Yes, everyone has to learn some how, but that's your call :)

PH1 172 Sport
I'm happy to learn on this. I've got a few things i can practice on before touching the Clio. What would you recommend I get pad and polish wise? Also need something to bring the headlights up! Cheers

Pads wise, try the 3M ones from I4D (remember the code for 7.5% discount!).

Polishes wise, still like Menz personally. Power Finish is very good, but then again for a rotary on Renault paint, you might only need something like Lime Prime!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Why not the 3m polishes with the pads JD, I find them less dusty and easier to work with.

I think also some people are having a badge snobbery moment with the 3m polishes.

Not a 320d
Why not the 3m polishes with the pads JD, I find them less dusty and easier to work with.

I think also some people are having a badge snobbery moment with the 3m polishes.

3M are good, unless thats what your ttrying to imply?

For some reason, 3m seem to be all the hype at the moment, god knows why, they have been out since time began iirc. I would trust anything 3M too.

Because I've not had chance to try them - you said you were bringin!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry mate! :eek: I will when you decide to actually do my car! :(

They rock! I'm sure Russ would agree! Such a simple idea aswell.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't say they are leaner but standard 3 polishes and 3 heads.

http://www.3mselect.co.uk/c-593-polishing-pads-and-accessories.aspx

Look at that page, you can buy cheaper elswhere though. Green pad - Green compound Yellow/Yellow Blue/Blue.

Green is the hardest grade being a compound polish and pad, I personally wouldn't recommend it to a beginner.

Then blue is the finishing pad for refining or light correction.

Bumder With A Buffer
3m polish Is expensive too! I was considering getting some but price put me off for how often I would use it. Although I found out recently that I have a bottle of each in the workshop here

My menz pads have gone s**t already and I have only used them 3 times :( Especially the orange one, its falling apart round the edges. Keep meaning to order either some LC ones or some 3M ones to use but im just lazy :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I don't have to buy the 3m stuff, I couldn't tell you how much it costs to be honest.

I sit a lot more than menz ect...?

Bumder With A Buffer
Green is 23.95, Yellow 26.95 and Blue 32.95.

They are bigger then the menz ones you get but still f**k paying 33 quid for something I will never use more then once a year (if that)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, think ecc do a sample kit of all 3, russ bought some the other week, alright if you have the pads to loan though.