ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Claying... few questions - bit worried!!

ClioSport 172
Hiya! I bought some Meguiars Quik Clay Kit mainly because i've got some tree sap & stuff on my car that just wont come off when I wash it! I've heard brilliant things about claying cars & they finish off looking brand new, so am keen to give it a go...

But... well am I right in thinking... I wash, clay, wash again, polish (I have Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine) then wax? (I have purple haze dodo juice)

I've read that claying can make the car look worse first, which is ok cause I know i'll polish etc, but i'm just worried even after i've polished/waxed it'll still look worse! I mean can you mess it up? Is there any special way you should be doing it to avoid any messing up etc?

Would just rather get a heads up before I start work! Cars black by the way, dont know if some colours clay better or worse then others!

Cheers for any info! :):) x

106 GTi
I would not say clay amkes a car look brand new - it will leave perfectly smooth paint.

Main tips for claying is make sure the clay is warm and soft, otherwise it will induce lots of marring. Don't use too much pressure and and ensure the surface is well lubricated with quick detail spray or soapy water. Split the clay bar into 2 or 3 - if you drop it get a new bit. When in action make sure you keep kneading it to a clean surface and pick out any large lumps of contamination it removes.

Personally especially on Black you may need a better polish the UDS after claying but that really depends on you paint condition.

Cheers

Rich

a burnt one
n my (limited) experience claying makes no visual difference, only when you feel it when dry willyou notice a result.

ClioSport 172
What about the tree sap stain? So really I probably dont need to clay at all? I thought it looked shinier & newer if you did?

Doesnt matter if its a pointless exercise i'll just sell the claying kit, havent opened it yet!

106 GTi
Tree sap that is actually stuck to the paint will come off with claying stains left buy it will be removable with a decent polish.

All claying will do is remove bonded on grime washing alone won't anything that is bonded to the paint will be removed by it.

Shine and gloss - i.e looking new and fresh is in the polishing stage - this is why black cars respond so well to a good machine polish.

106 GTi
It is the best mod you can make to Black ! Only reason I got mine was down to buying a Black 182 .

ClioSport 172
Hahaha I really should read posts before I reply to your PMs cause I just asked what colour your 182 was!

My mate did say his polisher is good, but you can only do panels cause it doesnt move or something like that... is that crap? Or will it do the job? I normally polish myself but god my arm aches after just one coat of polish, let alone a coat of wax too! Just trying to save my arm!

106 GTi
You should be able to get better results by machine, and it will save your arms from feeling like they are going top fall off !

106 GTi
Ive found that using both give that effect

Indeed - Both are needed. Polish to create gloss and fix any defects, wax or sealant to look in the shine, protect while adding that little extra to the looks.

BMW E92/Audi S3
Also if you wax it a shite load. You get a really scarily clean car. Even when its dirty.. its clean.. :S
Jezz, waxes his black 172 even when its not dirty. Man that car is crazily clean..

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
What applicator products you going to use , eg meguairs foam applicator pads, drying towelss, microfibres etc