ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning K & N induction kit.

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Right iv got a K&N on me clio and somehow today (i think it was when i had to slam on avoiding a head on with an audi) it managed to fall off its mount and get stuck in all the wires and pipes. Anyway when i had realised this had happened i set about putting it back on (think the jubilee clip was loose the first time) but as i was putting it on i spotted that the actual filter, inside, outside and on the bottom was covered in oil and grease.

i managed to wipe all the oil from around the air intake valve which i dotn think should have been there but thought mayb there was a slight leak (since iv wiped it up it hasnt re appeared)

Anyway the question is can i just clean the filter under the tap?? my mate mentioned that i need a special K&N oil or something to re apply once i had cleaned it but i dont know if this is true. Anyone any ideas??

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
You can buy a kit for cleaning and re-oiling the filter . Personally i just spray mine with autoglym engine and machine cleaner on the outside and rinse under the tap from the inside then let to dry naturally . Then re-oil with k+n filter oil .

Theres a guide for cleaning an ITG filter, won't be excactly the same but will be the same principles I'd imagine.

Mk1 Maxim Sport
ill have a look for that guide now then. did do a search but nothing came up. Cheers. Ill most probably buy the cleaning kit tommorow (if i can find one) an then use that but wanted to know if it was absolutely neccesary.

It definately needs cleaning because if u run ur finger along the filter it comes off black with oil so thats not right is it.

And i wondered why my petrol had been going in one side and out the other so fast (iv gone through 3 full tanks in a week)!!!!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Like i said , Autoglym engine and machine cleaner does the job just as well ;) plus you'll have loads left over compared to the small bottles of cleaner K+N sell ;)

Mk1 Maxim Sport
lol i just a quick look, pretty straight forward as i thought it probably would be but just wanted to check. didnt want to go sticking it fairy liquid to find that it comes out all clogged up and doesnt let any air in. Cheers fellas and dnt worry MrBillyUK ill go for the AG as i can find other uses for that.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Fairy liquid actually works ok if your just cleaning normal crap from the filter not grease or oil ;) Trust me , it's not something you can fcuk up , just make sure you rinse from the inside out .

Mk1 Maxim Sport
You can buy a kit for cleaning and re-oiling the filter . Personally i just spray mine with autoglym engine and machine cleaner on the outside and rinse under the tap from the inside then let to dry naturally . Then re-oil with k+n filter oil .

Just noticed that bit, why does it need re oiling?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The oil is for dust retention , basically stops all the fine particles of shite going through the filter . You only need a fine coating of oil , no need to soak it through .

Fairy liquid actually works ok if your just cleaning normal crap from the filter not grease or oil ;) Trust me , it's not something you can fcuk up , just make sure you rinse from the inside out .

Yep I always used any old degreaser but I always re-oiled with the right stuff

Ps do we have a guide to wipe your arse too! :cool: