ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning tips and best place to buy pads

307 hdi (powered by derv)
Right guys and girls,

Im not a huge fan of cleaning but give the car a good going over every now and again.

I use one of these polishers
73b8_1.jpg

I use it to buff up old paint and get rid of scratches.

So my questions are:

1) Where is the best place to buy pads and what is the difference between pads?

2) Cheapest place for clay bars. What the different colours mean and how long should it take to clay a whole car?

3) I have got a basic box of cleaning stuff. I'm not willing to go out buying stupidly expensive products only for the car to be covered in dirt the next day.

My products are turtle wax & t-cut which i use.

I have got to polish my girlfriends car to get the scratches off so i'm going to use the t-cut then layer of wax. How long should i polish an area for?

Thanks

Shaw

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
go over to Detailingworld some really good guides on polishes etc,
what wax/sealant u going for?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
erm....
head over to DW and get ur credit card out ASAP

thats the problem, i dont want to go wasting money on 'cleaning products and waxes' throwing money down the drain imo.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
if ur going to bother claying,polishing waxing u may as well do it well with some good stuff, For a decent set up u can get some nice products for not alot of money and u can use them on ur car

what would u suggest then from experience? i just want it many to get rid of scratches.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
i dont know im not experienced!! lol,i can help with sealants/glaze/waxes
how deep are the swirls(pics)?From that u can assess how abrasive u need to go. If it is a deep scratch/es it may need filling in then sanding down then polishing.
i would practice with that gizmo you have first, as it looks like a rotary! Get a few scrap panels then play around with it then attack the car!

106 GTi
thats the problem, i dont want to go wasting money on 'cleaning products and waxes' throwing money down the drain imo.

Without spending some money on Pads and Polishes you wont get the best out of it.

Menzerna Polishes would be my choice but they have the steapist learning curve, but there results are spot on when mastered.

When I started out I went for the Poorboys SSR range which are dead easy to use. The Meguiars 83 and 80 polishes are another favoured use.

Rotary based machines seem best suited to the Meguiars Pads.

Jay,

What price would you charge to do it? Only the exterior needs doing and its a micra.