ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning under the car

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
How is everyone else cleaning under there car in the winter?
I usually get it up on axle stands, use the hose and APC with a load of brushes but it’s Baltic outside and rolling around on the floor soaked soon gets tiresome haha.

I’ve seen these mentioned a few times and would love to know if they are actually decent.
13A2F4FF-C478-4DFC-9139-382FB5C6742B.jpeg

45A943E0-37AE-4AA0-B3BD-C2AE625BC722.jpeg

Anyone with experience of the above? The Karcher one is pretty pricey but the eBay special looks cheap enough for a punt.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
How is everyone else cleaning under there car in the winter?
I usually get it up on axle stands, use the hose and APC with a load of brushes but it’s Baltic outside and rolling around on the floor soaked soon gets tiresome haha.

I’ve seen these mentioned a few times and would love to know if they are actually decent.
View attachment 1576687
View attachment 1576688

Anyone with experience of the above? The Karcher one is pretty pricey but the eBay special looks cheap enough for a punt.
I drive through nice big puddles. Works a dream.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I use the cheaper rolling one, it’s pretty good. Ive looked under out cars a few times and they’re pretty clean and I’d say probably less rusty that other of the same age.

This time of year use mine every time I was the cars which is once a week. Loads quicker than trying to do it with the pressure washer Lance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Would that even fit under a 172 or 182? On standard suspension maybe but few are now

Never used one but reckon you'd need a more than usually powerful PW for those roller types to work (plus possible clearance issues as above). I use a 90 degree curved lance and even that is fairly tight under (my not overly lowered) 182.

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
I’ll take a punt on the cheap eBay special and hope it fits. I’ve got a small set of ramps if needed to getting it a little higher.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Once a year I back mine onto ramps and foam underneath. Ditto whipping the wheels off to clean out the arches.

It rarely gets used when there’s salt on the roads and a chassis refresh is the next big project.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I can’t see that getting into vital areas. I think it’s good as a rinse down while giving the car a once over. But I think wheels off and a proper scrub is always the best idea - but impossible to do every week.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
I can’t see that getting into vital areas. I think it’s good as a rinse down while giving the car a once over. But I think wheels off and a proper scrub is always the best idea - but impossible to do every week.
True. I only bother now and again as it’s not a daily. Once it’s been sorted everything will be coated in as much anti rust treatment as possible.

Years ago I cleaned my Dad’s Meriva before he traded it in. Hadn’t been touched under the arches in 3 years. I literally pressure washed without any chemicals and the arch liners were like new. Lots of crud came out but the arches were mint. Did make me wonder why I spend so much on car washing stuff!

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Biggest problems with the clio are how poorly thought out the underside is! Areas which allow crud, salt and crap to sit and fester. I’m just at the early stages of a back underside refurb. It’s the same as my last clio. Little shelves which are unnecessary, but obviously finished in a way to suit, what was, a car designed to be cheap and last 10 years. Luckily like Andy, my 182 gets SORN’d at this time of year. In fact the ridiculous RFL rate, probably will help the little car live longer!

I would genuinely say, regardless of the top side condition of peoples Clio’s, get underneath and have a good prod around. Rust will be the biggest killer of these cars over the next couple of years. Less money on snow foam and more money on Rust removal & treatment

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
My cars my daily driver so does about 250-300miles a week in all weathers Inc all this salty shite. I clean the car once/twice a week time dependant and use one of the eBay specials for the underside. Put the rear up on a Jack and snow lance underneath and a wash down.
it’s not a thorough job as I’d like but goes some way to preserving what I have left. Lol.
B46C3455-F011-4FD9-879B-30C2EAF605EE.jpeg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I've got a 90 degree attachment for my Nilfisk. Just a 90 deg angled nozzle.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
There’s a guy on Facebook (detail geek) that uses those underbody hose attachments. Seems to rate them quite highly.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Honestly I really like mine, used it in the Clio and the van today, you can see all the muck coming off as you use it. Its defo getting a lot of the rubbish off and the salt for that matter.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Anyone tried using the patio cleaner attachment for doing the underside, just sliding it on the ground upside down. Not sure how well it would work though.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Try some Bilt Hamber Atom-Mac. Mix 2% with water in a sprayer. You can also add it to your jet washer mixer bottle (if applicable).

I spray it on my brakes/wheels prior to jet washing. Disperses water and leaves a nice thin coating. No more rusty discs after a wash.

Picture below is from the rear discs off my RB resto which had new discs and pads in October. It’s sat outside my garage since then while I do the front end. As you can see, no rust. I spray it underneath my BG which is an all season car. It’s magic stuff.

9983E7DA-BB56-4DBB-A64E-9A595503B237.jpeg

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus
I’ve got the 90 degree Karcher attachment. Well, I haven’t really. I’ve got a cheap one from eBay but it’s still going 7 year later.

Obviously you can’t snow foam with it but you can give it a rinse down whenever you wash the car.

I wouldn’t say it’s to be used alone. I still foam, brush and scrub under the car after jacking it up every now and then. But as a weekly accessory it works well.

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus
I take one of the cars through the car wash because it’s just so easy. One of the options they have is for an under chassis clean. I often wonder if they’d get some business offering just that part, without the body wash. Then I think there can’t be many people who would go for it apart from me