ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning

53 plate 172

Picked up my motor yesterday and it could do with a very good clean.

What is best shampoo to use?

Does it need waxing (Monaco Blue)? Whats this I keep hearing about Supaguard?

Also, anybody recommend mudflaps as I already have a load of crap in my wheel arches - bloody horses !!!

Cheers

*bump*

morning gambler - my monaco 172 still scheduled for collection on friday, feel like a kid on xmas eve - keen to learn the best ways of cleaning/protecting the beast.. come on folks.. whats the best shampoo... i spose i cant take it down to the dodgy eastern european hand wash place anymore 12 quid inside & out :oops:

Renault Laguna Coupe

Youll get lots of opinions on this. I use Mer shampoo & wax - it works well and its cheap as Tesco sell it :D. Dont take it to the asylum seeker car wash :cry:

I was told by a friend to leave it for a few weeks (6?!) before waxing it to let the paint settle, dont know if thats complete blx, any views ppl?

53 plate 172

Im sure I heard the same about not waxing straight away Pete, cant remember the timeframe though.

I think Ill just give it a good shampoo at the weekend for now.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

I use meguiars..or however u spell it. The one advertised everywhere! In max power especially, makes mine come up nice, although i havent used any others so cant compare with others either! Mayb a bit pricey though

GR7

Shiny red R32

I dont think it is recommended to polish a brand new car because it will have, or should have been waxed by the dealers valet prior to you getting it and also I was told by the valet in a garage a while ago, that once a car has had a good waxing, it only needs to be washed with water for a few times otherwise loads of shampoo washes away the wax, much like when we wash our hair with shampoo, it washes away the natural oil in our hair. Could be the reason that some cars need waxing more often than others, because some people put so much shampoo in their bucket, that it cleans of the wax and the shine. I think car washes, automatic or diy are the worst methods of car cleaning, because they apparently use really strong chemicals in their shampoo which is dispensed automatically, probably a bit like dish washer liquid, which strips off everything!

The Jinx

Use Meguiars. And Ive also been told that new cars come with a protective wax for transit, but that as part of the prep at the dealers this is stripped off. Could be blox though.

Theres no harm in waxing though. But when washing, get yourself a Meguiars wash mitt from:

http://www.meguiars.co.ukwww.meguiars.co.uk

They have a deep pile and so all the dirt gets sucked up in to the pile, thus leaving the bottom bit smooth and muck free. Thus preventing scratchy swirl marks.

Id be really anal and buy yhe mitt, some terry towel, their clay kit and their Gold Class Wax. Oh, hang on, I DID buy them.

And the difference between them and other stuff is amazing.

I used to leave mine at the hand wash for a couple of hours...until the mileage went up suddenly...those cheeky rascals. Best DIY

The Jinx

GR, the dealer wont use a top quality wax though. And if you use a proper shampoo (like Megs etc) it shouldnt strip the wax. Ive just done mine and they recommend that for the first time you use their clay kit, you wash with a very dilute Fairy mix, just to get all the crap off.

Then I clayed it, then waxed. Its still really shiny 4 weeks later.

Ziel Nurburgring

Personally i use Autoglym wax then give it a coat of thier Superbuff resin. Its absolutly quality. Costs a bit though, but the finish is the best ever. The polish is good but the other stuff gives it an extra layer.

cheers all and esp mike - have ordered some early burfday pressies from meguiars - shampoo, mitt & drying cloth - my car is actually a year old so will enquire from the dealer on friday what it has been preped with before thinking about waxing - thanks again :D

Lee

BMW M2C

Magnex cat back system. I think there are few posts about it in the Exterior, Power section.

Quote: Originally posted by Pete_172 on 29 October 2003

I was told by a friend to leave it for a few weeks (6?!) before waxing it to let the paint settle, dont know if thats complete blx, any views ppl?
This refers to new paint if you have any respray work done and is to allow for the paint to cure properly.

From the factory the paint is already fully cured during the painting process so a new car can be waxed straight away.

Lee

BMW M2C

I found the wax streaked a little, but if you do as it says on the bottle and put a fine mist of water over the car once its done, then buff it off (I used a Microfibre cloth) then you get a lovely deep finish.

That picture was taken after just a wash, it hadnt been waxed since Donny South.

53 plate 172

lol just had a look at the Meguiars - too much choice !!!

I just want to wash my car, although they do list demon tweeks as a stockist and I only live 10 mins from there.

Lee

BMW M2C

You might as well have them fit a nice exhaust for you while you are there. Thats where I got mine from.

I know a lot of people who are very happy with the Meguiars stuff too.

The Jinx

Id get the Gold Class stuff mate. Its the shampoo of choice for clearcoat finishes.

You could get carried away with all the products, but if you go for Megs Id get the following:

Gold Class shampoo

Gold Class Wax

Some terry towels for buffing

A wash mitt

and bob down to halfords to get a TW silicon blade (sweep most of the water off in no time and a microfibre cloth for drying in the nooks and crannys.

If you got the clay kit on top of all this, it comes with a detailing spray, which after youve washed you can also use on its own to quickly spruce up the shine.

All depends on how much you can be arsed really.

53 plate 172

lol thats my biggest problem Mike, I used to wash my previous car once a year cos I couldnt be arsed.

Do we get a discount at Demon anybody know?

Try Alex at www.seriousperformance.co.uk for all meguiars stuff (plus other stuff which is WAY better than megs – concours waxes and the like) as he gives free p+p.

HartgeBob - nice to see someone else who knows about fully cured factory paint ;-)

Face