ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cli0 172 cup suspension noise

I am having some strange rattling noises coming form my clio 172 cup when corning on tight turns, worse over bumpy roads.

Its going into the dealer when I get the chance to have it checked.

Has anyone else had a similer experiance, as this would help identify the fault when I take it to the garage.

I have heard this is quite a common problem, but cannot seem to find the exact cause as to why. I belive it is suspension related, possibly suspesion bushes or similer

Ad

MK2 FRS

Im getting this, not noticed it particularly over bumps but when heavy cornering, and under heavy acceleration (paritularly when spinning he wheels. Theyre looking at it at the 12k service a week on friday!

996 Carrera

I get a similar noise, esp. going round roundabouts.

Not sure where its coming from, but when Ive been fiddling with my car phone install Ive had to pull the centre console out (gear stick surround etc.) and there is a black piece of plastic under the dash - could be an intake for the blowers - that seems a little loose.

Check that out as well.

Also, check if you need the seat belt bolts replacing. Theres a tech note for this in the info I got from CB1A. Common fault on Cups apparently.

Id heard there was a common fault on cups to do with strut mounts. Mine has a clonking noise on the drivers side at low speeds, and its going to my local dealer this saturday morning to be checked out.

I sometimes get a clonk when turning right at full lock low speed. It may be the gearbox mounting bolt under the battery. havent checked it yet.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by philip on 28 May 2003

I sometimes get a clonk when turning right at full lock low speed. It may be the gearbox mounting bolt under the battery. havent checked it yet.
I get that also. Someone suggested I check that too. I keep meaning to take a look but just cant be bothered!! If you get to the bottom of it please let us know.

Im always reluctant to take my car in to the dealers as they often come back with new faults!!

Yup - mine rattles in a similar manner. Sounds suspension related and often appears at low speeds when making a sharp (lots of lock) turn into a parking space or similar, especially over rougher ground.

Id be interested to hear if anyone has managed to identify the source of the noise and/or had their stealership replace or repair anything.

Had a knocking on mine when starting off.... on the left hand side..turned out to be a metal cover in front of the p.a.s. resevoir hitting when taking up the drive.I have placed a strategically piece of rubber in between the two and silence no more knocking.

ducati 996 miam slurp scrunch mmmm nice

never had a bike. drove a car I though was very fast a couple of years ago. Guy in a ducati races me at the lights and does a 100 yard wheelie.

awesamundo... I thought about getting a bike permit etc after that, but chickened out (cant be bothered with exams and stuff)

I took mine to my dealer today. It took them about 10 minutes to confirm that the problem was a known fault and was caused by wrong "shock absorber mounting tolerances". Its a fault thats been reported to renault dealers as part of an "ACTIS bulletin", whatever that is. Doesnt sound like its serious enough for a recall, though.

Anyway, theyre going to repair it under the warranty - its going in on 13th June (earliest date theyve got a courteousy car available).

Just to remind you, my noise has been a rumbling / clonking from drivers side front, high up (ie sounds like its about a foot behind the speedo). The noise is present only at low speeds (say upto 20mph) and when parking, especially on full lock (either way) or over uneven surfaces. Ill let you know what improvement is made after theyve fixed it in a fortnight.

took a Ren mechanic out in mine and he seemed to think that the clunking i got at low speeds when coming on and off of the power was normal. He did say if i wasnt happy then just book it in and theyll stip it down and look at the mounts etc.

Jim - might be worth you asking about this ACTIS bulletin thing; if its a known fault they should be taking it more seriously.