ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Climate Control Issue - Zip tie, done, new actuator as well.... an odd one.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
To give you all something to scratch your heads about, I've spent some time trying to sort out the heating / cooling in my car. The basic issue is that whatever you have it set to at start up is what you then get. So if its on hot you get hot, if its on cold you get cold. So far I have done the following,

- Done the "zip tie" fix although mine was okay
- Replaced the actuator, although I think this was okay as well.

My testing has led me see the actuator working as I start the car with the actuator out and it spins around to the setting you have, so hot or cold, however if you then change the setting it seems to try to move but it doesn't just sweep round as I would expect it kinda seems to go notchily if you see what I mean where it goes a tiny amount at a time but never gets too far before it stops.

So on that basis I am kinda out of ideas, the flap works, the actuator works, the control panel works (on the basis that I have put another one in and its the same) but the system doesnt seem to work as I would expect, any thoughts?

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
So I'm guessing I've stumped everyone! :ROFLMAO:

I've also replaced the cabin temp sensor and its still not better, although before I did swap it it seemed to work for one transition from hot to cold, more investigation required.

Clio 172 ph2
I think I have exactly the same issue. Did you get to the bottom of your problem?

I've had the motors off today and the cog was already cable tied. If I watch the motor as I change from hot to cold it sort of moves is TINY increments but never a full sweep like id expect when im going from requesting full hot to full cold.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I think I have exactly the same issue. Did you get to the bottom of your problem?

I've had the motors off today and the cog was already cable tied. If I watch the motor as I change from hot to cold it sort of moves is TINY increments but never a full sweep like id expect when im going from requesting full hot to full cold.

yes I did! For me it was simple in the end but took ages of looking a wiring diagrams. Basically there are two connectors in the cabin light area where the cabin temp sensor is. At some point the wrong one had been connected I swapped them over and it worked. The other ones not connected to anything and there’s a place for it to tuck into out of the way.

The orange one is the one one
5F29221E-DE00-401E-A7E3-2E3C10B12156.jpeg

The grey one tucks away

7E6070A2-9905-4959-A5EC-8083FFA4AFC2.jpeg

Might not be the same issue but fixed mine!!

Clio 172 ph2
Interesting.. Mine is a track car and previous owner stripped out all the wiring so its not got the temp sensor connected. I have a temp sensor here but no idea is the plug to re connect it still exists behind the dash.
Dont suppose you know which A pillar the loom ran up? At least then I know roughly which side to investigate.

Clio 172 ph2
Ok thank you. Cant see any curled up wires so presume they have bee stripped out and I've absolutely no idea where they should have been plugged into! Looks like I'll be making a manual leaver that I can reach into the footwell and adjust lol

Clio 172 ph2
found this...

34bb48cfcb79492a188907a40effb87f-jpg.jpg

56 is labeled 'air conditioning unit'
Is that actually the display panel? If so I can have a go at wiring it in direct myself.

Clio 172 ph2
I wonder what 57 is ? I presume 58 is the sensor I have which does indeed have a little fan in it to suck air across the sensor

s-l1600.jpg

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
There’s two types of sensor one with the motor is 58 the other one is the one I have 57 with no motor. Looking at the pic it seems then grey connector is for one and orange for the other, makes more sense now, in theory both sensors should work.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Loom runs up the passenger's side pillar. It connects at the green connector under the dash top beside the tweeter, so it's dash top off to access it.

Clio 172 ph2
Just wired in the sensor and it seems to have fixed it. The motor now turns as soon as you change from min to max and vice versa.

Clio 172 ph2
The cold doesnt feel fully cold like it does when I manually turn that flap so not sure the motor is fully closing it (bearing in mind the AC has been deleted) but it can definitely feel a massive change from min to max now where as before it just wasn't even trying to turn that flap. But I've spent best part of 1.5 days messing with it so it will have to do for now.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
The cold doesnt feel fully cold like it does when I manually turn that flap so not sure the motor is fully closing it (bearing in mind the AC has been deleted) but it can definitely feel a massive change from min to max now where as before it just wasn't even trying to turn that flap. But I've spent best part of 1.5 days messing with it so it will have to do for now.
Can’t say I’ve tired line without the ac on. Could be the motor wasn’t quite located properly after you took that off, but like you say it’s way better than it was so feels like success!