ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1 1.8 16v ABS

HI All,

I'm about to purchase a pretty immaculate Clio, So I can reminisce about the one I had in my teens...However a condition of the sale is a full years MOT.

The Problem is that this particular car has ABS, And the light wont go out. Its been on several code readers and none will communicate with the abs module.

A Search has revealed that if I bridge two pins together on the DTC Plug the ABS light will flash a code. The codes I have Read are 19 (System Relay) and 35 (Pump motor Relay).

No matter how much I search I Cannot find Where to go From here. I'm an electrician by trade so I'm not scared to get stuck in with tracing power to the unit etc but I just don't know where to look.

I'm hoping someone here can give some insight or pointers as I'm really keen to get motoring. (MOT Fail with ABS Light On)

Thanks In Advance.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
If your on Facebook, join the clio16valver group. Plent of chaps on there have the diagrams for mk1s. In the meantime , id be checking earth points , pulling relays / fues out one by one and cleaning up the contacts. One of my mk1s had a electrical gremlin with the fuel pump intermittent wouldn't prime. Turned out to be a bad relay connection.

I wouldn't mind seeing some pics too when you get it. What are the details of it ? How much is it ?
I had a 1994 M reg phase 2 back in 2001.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Thankfully I've managed to avoid abs in every mk1 I've ever owned, all 12 odd of them! So I can be absolutely no help here.
However as mentioned by others, interested in pics and details of the car

Sorry for the late reply. Hectic with work as always.
I've managed to trace the issue to pin number 86 on the pump motor relay socket. It appears to be getting no switch live. I have wiring diagrams but none really seem to point me in the right direction.

We ended up coming to a deal with it and I've bought it home as Is.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular fault? I'e checked all the fuses and relays and they appear to be fine.
The car itself is primarily a 1 owner car with 106k on the clock with full main dealer service history once a year until 2011. It the passed through a couple of hands with next to no mileage being done until I spotted it for sale locally.
20180128_140844.jpg
20180128_140910.jpg

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Sorry for the late reply. Hectic with work as always.
I've managed to trace the issue to pin number 86 on the pump motor relay socket. It appears to be getting no switch live. I have wiring diagrams but none really seem to point me in the right direction.

We ended up coming to a deal with it and I've bought it home as Is.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular fault? I'e checked all the fuses and relays and they appear to be fine.
The car itself is primarily a 1 owner car with 106k on the clock with full main dealer service history once a year until 2011. It the passed through a couple of hands with next to no mileage being done until I spotted it for sale locally. View attachment 1354959 View attachment 1354960
I'm assuming you've actually checked the wheel sensors?

I'm assuming you've actually checked the wheel sensors?
I haven't to be fair. The codes pointed to power supply issues. I can check the sensors but that wouldn't remedy the switch live being absent. Or am I wrong? I'm open to suggestions.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
great looking car, dealer plates still on it etc from the looks, guessing its completely bone stock?

wide investment to leave as is and run/maintain it. appreciating classics now and that looks a good example! nice buy!

That looks f**king mint, I am 'well jel', as the kids say!

Make sure to clean the lips on the rear arches and, if you're driving it over winter on salty roads, it would be worth removing the arch liners and giving it a good wash down in all the nooks and crannies once they've stopped salting. (So March? lol)

I would ask how much you paid but I don't want to know the answer if you got a bargain!!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I used to have an intermittent fault with one of my sensors, it would make the light come on when it wanted - I used to turn the car off on the motorway and back on to get it back!
One day it never went out no matter what I did although everything checked out - had to change it in the end.

To be fair everyone who slated it back then was wrong lol, it was very unobtrusive but made a big difference in scary situations so it's worth re-instating.

I don't even think mine had ABS :confused: I do remember that when I got it the wire in the arches was cut, so I just left it alone.