ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 16v knocking when changing gear and at high revs

Clio 1.2 16v mk2
Hey, new to the forum so go easy please.

I have a clio 1.2 16v mk2 for about 3 years and its been golden up to this week...

It has developed a very concerning knocking which seems to occur as you release the clutch after changing gear (more at low speeds) and at high revs in higher gears (say doing 70mph+ in 5th gear). It doest really seem to do it over bumps; however that could be that I haven't been over a big enough bump to feel it.

Is sounds like a bracket or something has broke and two metal parts are knocking together when the engine is 'under stress' or 'jerking' if that makes sense. Along with the sound you can very clearly feel the knocking through both the clutch and I think the accelerator (although I could be being paranoid!) at higher speeds.

I have had a look but was only quick after work and didn't really find anything. I hope that it is the lower gearbox mount which seems to be quite popular with these cars, however some of the symptoms don't match up and its not affected by steering so I don't believe it can be the CV joint (but I am a novice).

Any help would be very much appreciated and I totally understand that asking people to diagnose the problem on the internet is less than ideal but I rather like to solve the problem myself and learn something on the way.

Thanks very much
Adam

Clio 1.2 16v mk2
Update: Did the dogbone mount on friday. Problem is still there, going to have a look at the battery holder/mount later. Any other ideas?

Clio 1.2 16v mk2
It didnt seem like it. However it was an advisory that a rubber bracket was broken. I will try and have a look when i get home, feeling quite rough today though.

Clio 1.2 16v mk2
UPDATE: Thought I would update the thread, in case anyone finds it with similar problems.

The problem is with the mounts and mounts for the exhaust. The rear one, which was a pain to get off as one of the bolts is totally seized, was shot to bits. I have changed this and put in a piece of copper tube to make it more solid. The problem has been solved to some extent as its nowhere near as bad; however the knocking is still there as the mount in the middle of the exhaust is also shot.