ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 16v Sport question...

Im not saying that for its time it was better then the competition thats why they sold so many, but i thought he was trying to suggest me getting 1, and yes id rather have the corsa to a R19, personal taste.

The TD (and TD chamade) and the cabrio are both nice cars as well, i think you mis understood me a bit, sorry.

Chris H - 200bhp from an F7P?? Unless its got some form of forced induction then I would like to know exactly what has been done!

well not yet, its sitting in the shed.

My old 16V wasnt far off that.

Matts rallysl*g 1.8 (it wasnt a 2litre he was done lol) ran 180 odd with the standard inlet setup.

Plan is Tbs and to spin the bugger as fast as it will go. I will also take care of the head.

I will do it - eventually, unless I buy a new Saab engine to play with or another cossie or something.

My F7P was tuned by the guy I bought my car from and he claimed it made 170bhp at the fly on an engine dyno (which I verified from the garage he had it done at). But two years later a recent rolling road gave it 128bhp at the wheels. It was still more than all the other 16vs, but Im guessing its more like 155+bhp, so youd be doing well to get near to 180bhp with the standard inlet. Id be looking for 150bhp+bhp at the wheels for a 19 16v with 180bhp - did he get that??

I believe Matt managed 160 at the wheels.

For 200bhp at the crank I would expect at least 180 at the wheels.

I wont be spinning gay crap like power steering pumps etc from the crank.

I was also contemplating a capacity increase to 1794cc with willy pistions but due to a lack of pistons available in the UK and the fact I am not certain about boss height etc this may not be a viable option.

To be honest (and sorry for hijacking the thread), I would go for the F7R Megane Coupe/Williams bottom end and keep with the F7P head if youre thinking about re-boring - would be a lot cheaper and torque would be there with little work.

yeah but the F7Rs crap. Wouldnt trust that bottom end as far as I could through an elephant.

The F7P is a superior engine and more suited to high revs.

Really? I didnt think that they were radically different. After all, the F7R was developed from the F7P. Ive never heard of problems with the F7R bottom end...

Im just curious as my engine is a tuned F7P and if I could pick up an F7R bottom end for under £500, then it would be a cheaper way to power/torque than more extensive mods to the F7P and would mean I could keep my modified head etc. Other than that, Im looking into TBs in the future, but theyre way more expensive. I would prefer that route though as ideally Id like to preserve the high rev thrills that make the F7P the F7P...:D

Quote: Originally posted by bambam on 16 May 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Chris_H on 16 May 2003

And no the 1.2 clio will not break records liek already stated and it sure as feck will not do a 10 second run to 60 on the flat. And it will not do 127mph on the flat either.
chris - that is why i stated INDICATED - i dont believe that the car can get anywhere near that figure

i have done a 10.7 second 0-60 time using AB22 timing gear, and have the timing slip to prove
Back on topic.....!

The AP22 is no guarantee of an accurate figure either Im afraid. It might have said 10.7 seconds, but there is no way a 1.2 16v is going to do 60 in mid- 10 seconds. My 1.4 16v would just scrape it in 10.5 and that had an extra 25bhp or so.

The AP22 will vary on how it is set up and, especially crucially, the terrain you are using it on. If you do a 60mph run and at any point go up a hill, the unit will give an artificially low time. Likewise going downhill (even a little bit) will give an artificially low time. You need a totally flat piece of road with no changes in gradient. Tricky to find (especially round Sheffield!!!).

Id say that if an AP22 has measured a 1.2 16v to 60mph in 10.7 seconds, there is something wrong with the set up or the test conditions. If a 1.2 16v can repeat that using a GPS timing system, I will eat my AP22!

Dont get me wrong, Im not knocking or looking down on the 1.2 16vs, but 0-60 in 10 seconds, nope!

Rhys

Edit - Oh yeah, the AP22 is great for measuring the differences in performance between cars on the same day and on the same bit of road. Found a nice properly flat piece of road with a layby to launch from with CooperS Boy and the AP22 reckoned that me driving the Cooper S Hartge will be 2 seconds ahead of me driving the Willy by 100mph! Not the result I was hoping for, but a reasonaly accurate figure to compare.

Its a 1.2 it isnt quick the top speed is nowt what does it matter the engine was designed for around town runs not hammering it down the motorway at a million miles an hour!!! The dynamique has the sports seats (similar to the cups) and most of the toys you could want, you can get a 51 plate dynamique for around 6500, or do what I did and get a brand new one I put a £3300 deposit down and now its £100 per month for three years, free insurance for a year and a lot of equipment for the money much better than other manufacturers (believe me Ive looked). Its up to you mate but if you hammer a 1.2 too hard it wont last! and pushing it to 120mph will make it fall apart. The manufacturer rates it at 106mph and ive never taken mine past 85 thats NOT WHAT IT IS DESIGNED FOR!!!

Oh and the Punto 1.2 8v will do over a tonne, I tried it in a courtesy car I had from Fiat when my mk1.2 8v Punto was having the roof resprayed due to rust!

Has anyone got a portable gps unit thy can have a few runs in theirs and let us know the figures?? surely thats a very accurate way of checking?

Lionel Richie

Ill ask Roamer if i can borrow his, hes got a GPS thingy Origin Blue, Ill wack it in my car and have a blast!!!!