ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 16v vs 1.4 16v

Clio 1.2 16v
Ok so at the moment I still have my sluggish 1.2 16v dynamique, a 182 clio didn't happen for me due to not being able to justify the insurance cost at my age.. I think the gearbox is starting to go on my current clio and am looking to replace the car.

So here are my questions:

Is the 1.4 16v dynamique nippy at all? Will i feel the difference between a 1.4 and my current 1.2? Is the power increase not worth the extra engine weight? How does is compare to the corsa 1.4 sxi/sri?

I find when i'm in my friends sxi's (1.2) they feel quite a lot more torquey and pull quite nicely at low revs, my 1.2 16v pulls nicely >4000k rpm

I will go for a Clio sport of some shape or form when i'm 25 and it isn't a complete r****d insurance spend.

Ok so at the moment I still have my sluggish 1.2 16v dynamique, a 182 clio didn't happen for me due to not being able to justify the insurance cost at my age.. I think the gearbox is starting to go on my current clio and am looking to replace the car.

So here are my questions:

Is the 1.4 16v dynamique nippy at all? Will i feel the difference between a 1.4 and my current 1.2? Is the power increase not worth the extra engine weight? How does is compare to the corsa 1.4 sxi/sri?

I find when i'm in my friends sxi's (1.2) they feel quite a lot more torquey and pull quite nicely at low revs, my 1.2 16v pulls nicely >4000k rpm

I will go for a Clio sport of some shape or form when i'm 25 and it isn't a complete r****d insurance spend.

What revs(rpm) do you change gear?

Clio 1.2 16v
Normal driving 2.5k-3k rpm, Gunning it I will go to 5k-6k. I tend to cringe for my poor car near the red line though.

Clio II 1.2 16V
1.4 16V more nippy, handles a little better. And can be ok driven 60, for good MPG on a run, IMO, the 1.4 16V epic fun for what it is, Try a DCI 80, I hear good thing about em. And I've yet to try one.

I own a 1.4, my brothers best friend Is a senior Renault mechanic. He told me theres quite a lot of difference between the 4 and the 2. With the 4 being a lot more nippy.

Although I don't want to admit this im shocked at what mine can keep up with or overpass as standard.
Beat my friends 1.8 Civic Petrol Turbo in this thing. but to be fair he's now reached over 130k in that thing and abuses the s**t out of it.

Don't get me wrong you see a top end car about on the road you know you have no chance, but this is a powerful little car.
and this is me speaking for it as standard. I haven't serviced it in a while (really bad I know) and everything about it performace wise is still bog standard, haven't cleaned or changed the air filter since I bought it!

I'd say go for a 1.4 mate defo or anything higher.
Diesels have a lot of torque behind them but get sluggish reaching higher speeds.

Either way id go for one.
Could even pummel even more money into it and do what ive done to mine in the projects section.
But like you im waiting until im more experienced to own a 182. Moneys no issue now, I just act like a t**t and need to learn more life road lessons before I get something that could surely end me.

Clio 1.2 16v
You have sold me sparkles, I reckon I will pay the tiny bit extra insurance and get the 1.4, ideally I would like the 1.6 but that is getting into hot hatch insurance territory. I hate insurance companies in this country..

Thanks for replying mates

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
My first car was a 1.4 16V ...it felt nippy enough at the time then to be fair I'd never driven anything faster so I had nothing to compare it to. Having said that I now have a 1.2Tce and that feels just as quick if not quicker than my old 1.4 ...probably doesn't help at all but there you go :)

Arctic 182FF
I own a 1.4, my brothers best friend Is a senior Renault mechanic. He told me theres quite a lot of difference between the 4 and the 2. With the 4 being a lot more nippy.

Although I don't want to admit this im shocked at what mine can keep up with or overpass as standard.
Beat my friends 1.8 Civic Petrol Turbo in this thing. but to be fair he's now reached over 130k in that thing and abuses the s**t out of it.

Don't get me wrong you see a top end car about on the road you know you have no chance, but this is a powerful little car.
and this is me speaking for it as standard. I haven't serviced it in a while (really bad I know) and everything about it performace wise is still bog standard, haven't cleaned or changed the air filter since I bought it!

I'd say go for a 1.4 mate defo or anything higher.
Diesels have a lot of torque behind them but get sluggish reaching higher speeds.

Either way id go for one.
Could even pummel even more money into it and do what ive done to mine in the projects section.
But like you im waiting until im more experienced to own a 182. Moneys no issue now, I just act like a tw*t and need to learn more life road lessons before I get something that could surely end me.

Sorry but this seems to have been glossed over... I don't claim to be a car expert at all but a 1.4 16v clio beat a 1.8 turbo civic? This seems distinctly unlikely to me.

Meg 300Cup
1.2 and 1.4 felt very similar to me when I was 17, insurance was a hell of a lot cheaper with the 1.2 however so it made sense, how old are you if you don't mind?

And if you don't like it near the redline, forget a clio sport lol

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
In a nutshell, neither are quick, ones just a bit less quick than the other.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
lol at the 1.4 beating 1.8 turbo civic things, is there even such thing as a turbo civic 1.8 thing? or do we just refer to vtec as turbo now since its another cool word?

im with Dan@M.A.D, 1.4 never felt much different to a 1.2 too me, I had a 1.6 16v though and it felt better, be careful though mine eventually got the timing belt changed and felt slow after it as they ballsed up the cam timing.

Clio 1.2 16v
1.2 and 1.4 felt very similar to me when I was 17, insurance was a hell of a lot cheaper with the 1.2 however so it made sense, how old are you if you don't mind?

And if you don't like it near the redline, forget a clio sport lol

I don't know that much about cars, but I was under the impression the clio sport had something to do with the cams that allowed it to rev higher with less chance of the engine blowing up. I love going to the red line, I just don't want to destroy my car.. :/ I'm 20 soon to be 21. Were the 1.2 and 1.4 clios you drove both 16v? The power output in the 1.4 16v seems to be a pretty nice gap between the 1.2, bigger than between the 1.4 and 1.6.

The quote from my insurance company was only 100 more for the 1.4, paying the extra is no problem, just depends on if I would notice the difference between the two engine sizes.

MK3 1.2
Im 19 and can easily get insured on a 1.6 for around £1000, I know its a lot but my 1.2 is £800 so if I was you mate, go for a 1.6

MK5 R32
I would keep the 1.2, I've had both and regret wasting my money changing to a 1.4. There is no difference really in it, not something you will notice anyway.

clio mk2 1.4 16v
Quite surprised by some of the responses, not sure how people claim not to notice the difference between a 1.2 n the 1.4.

​The 1.2 is 75bhp n the 1.4 circa 98bhp, if anything the difference between a 1.4 and a 1.6 should be a lot less noticeable as the bhp increase is approx 10% more, compared to more than 20% between the 1.2 n the 1.4

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
there is around 20nm of extra torque from the 1.4 16v over the 1.2 16v but the 1.6 16v then has a further 20nm of torque over the 1.4.

I think what people are trying to say is that where you will notice a difference in a 1.4 16v, its not worth considering changing for, especially when the 1.6 16v has more power and torque with the same running costs since its basically the same engine. insurance always seems pretty similar too.

also if you get a ph3 1.6 16v (2004 53 plate onwords) you will get rear discs on the 1.6 16v