ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 16v won't start

Clio 182
I purchased a 2002 clio 1.2 16v tonight and I'm having issues.
i started the car and went to reeves it but it stalled as the rear brakes were jammed from standing for a few weeks.
so I put the car in reverse and turned the starter which jolted the car back and free'd off the rear brakes.
the car was now loose and I could push it by hand.

so I went to start the car and it won't start at all.
it just turns over for a few seconds and stops, I had this connected to another car via jump leads so power was not a issue.
now the starter only turns for a few seconds and stops, is this supposed to happen by design or should it keep spinning until I release the key?

i also have no spark at any cylinder, I removed the tdc and cleaned it to no avail.
idellay I need it running before 3pm tomorrow as that's when my 1 day drive home policy expires.
i have a clio 2.0 here which I can grab a tdc off if it will fit the 1.2 to rule that out.

any ideas on this guys, ran for a min then wouldn't run again.

monaco 172
starter should crank for more than a few seconds, well my old 1.2 starter did when my tdc packed in.

Clio 182
Unlock car and immobiliser light is flashing, with ignition on
sometimes the light is off aswell with ignition on.

Seemed to make no difference to wether it started or not.
im sure on my clio the light goes out but didn't have them both there to compare.
cant say I noticed the fuel pump priming but it was noisy out.
ive pulled all the fuses and all seem ok.

i must add the battery was flat when I approached the car and had to jump start it, if this relates to immobiliser issue?

Clio 182
Car came with 2 keys, one with a fob to wirelessly unlock doors, the other is just a key and doesn't appear to have a transponder.
its looking very likely to be a immobiliser issue from running a search on here.
i will get it recovered home and if its immobiliser issue I shall scrap it.

Clio 182
Ok guys got her running.
went to the car today and this time I took my clio key off the key ring and inserted the original key into the ignition with no other clio near by this time.
turned the ignition and nothing, turned ignition on and held down the lock button on the dash for a few seconds then tried to start the car and she fired straight up.
coincidence or pure luck, either way she's now home. I've tried to start it since and it's been fine.
can only think it was my other clio key sitting next to the immobiliser which had confused it.

if anyone can shed some light on this then feel free.