ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 exhaust slip-joint project

Just wondering if there would be any interest towards the exhaust set up on my car.
As a project i decided to modify the exhaust on my car however the main aspect that sets mine apart i feel would be the slip joint. Anyone who owns a Mk2 Clio would know that the mid-pipe bends over the axle and is welded to the back-box which makes it difficult to remove without cutting it aswell making it difficult to modify so i decided to correct Renault's flaw and install a slip joint at the back box. The thought of my exhaust being permanently modified (as in it being fully welded up) was deterring as it mean't i could not change it back to stock for MOT, long drives etc so a slip joint seemed to be the best option. After searching around my local car parts shops and custom exhaust shops, all of them tried to sell me a full stainless steel system which yes, would have been lighter and a lot better made than what i could possibly do however i don't have that type of money to spend and quite liked the thought of doing it myself.
I started by cutting two pieces of pipe that are a slightly different diameter and made sure they slipped into each other snugly. I then tested these pipes be filling them with water to ensure there were no leaks and thankfully there wern't any.

Photo 23-05-2017, 19 10 43.jpg

In this photo you can see i removed the mid pipe and the back box from the car. You may also notice there is already a straight piece of pipe at the end of the mid pipe which was from a previous attempt at this project which to be quite honest i messed up as i lacked the appropriate tools and knowledge, but we live and learn.
After cutting the excess pipe off the mid-pipe i reassembled the exhaust and cut the slip joint to match the size of the gap left between the back box and the mid-pipe.

Photo 23-05-2017, 19 08 55.jpg

After tac-welding the slip joint onto each section of the exhaust i dissembled the exhaust to finish up the welds. As you can see in the picture above this is the finished product, don't mind the white marks around the welds as i thought id rather be safe than sorry in case there was a slight leak so i sealed them with gun gum.
After starting the car i was delighted that there were no leaks and that i was successful. I like the idea of the slip joint because if i decide to fit a different back box to my car i can simply create a fitting for it so that it slips into the slip joint.

I made a straight piece of pipe to come out the back just for testing purposes, if anyone is interested in how it sounds i made a video comparing the stock exhaust to the 'back box delete'.

Many people may dislike the sound of it (which i can assure you does get annoying after even a short drive) which why shouldn't they, it is only a 1.2 lol, however it was a fun project and good accomplishment considering its the first piece of exhaust work i have ever done.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Can't knock you for effort and enthusiasm but why go to all that trouble when it's 2 bolts to swing the axle down out of the way and the exhaust comes straight out?

I agree in that the exhaust system probably isn't designed as well as it could have been for ease of maintenance but it's not a particularly hard job anyway.

I'm honestly not trying to tale anything away from what you've done, I admire the effort you've gone to, it just seems to be more hassle than it's worth