ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 Power Loss/Cutting Out

2002 1.2 Extreme
(I KNOW WHAT LONG POSTS ARE LIKE, FEEL FREE TO SKIP TO THE BULLETS)

Hi Guys! Firstly, thanks in advance for any help! I am new to Clio’s (and doing my best to see that as a good thing!) and own a 2002 1.2 extreme model. But I am not new to forums, I used to moderate civic-eg.com so rest assured I do search and do as much as I can to help myself before pestering for help :)

I have had a problem for a few weeks that is getting worse and I feel I am running out of time so am hoping for help to speed up the process.

1. I noticed about 6 weeks ago that the idle was rough.
  2. About 3 weeks ago the engine started kind of jolting, very briefly losing power, with the electrical fault light coming on.
  3. This has worsened, the light is on regularly and often the power loss is so frequent it probably looks to other people outside the car like I’m head banging!
  4. Fuel Consumption is poor
  5. It is often worse under load but happens at other times also
  6. It stalls at idle
  7. When the electrical fault comes on the engine sounds different, kind of a louder purr from the front end
  8. I also seem to have smoke coming from the bay at times usually when I’ve driven the car a little harder or had more passengers, it smells of oil not fuel etc. ( I don’t seem to be losing coolant but oil was a bit low, possible leak?)

So far I have;

1. Replaced the coil pack and leads etc.
  2. Replaced the plugs
  3. Used Redex
  4. Removed the IM and cleaned the throttle body
  5. Topped up the oil, was a bit low

All seem to have made the car generally slightly better in running although the cutting out is just as bad and getting worse. There are so many possible things that can still be causing this that I know of so please ask questions and I hope to get this fixed with your help.

Maybe injectors?? Hopefully not HG failure but that seems unlikely…

I also look forward to becoming a contributing member!

Thanks

Andy