ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 project

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
picked my 1.2 clio up yesterday. i think i got quite a good bargain really! came with vibe black air sub and an exhaust but on the way back exhaust is way to loud so will be putting back to standard. this will be a slow but on going project but im hoping the final result will be a well stanced car! when i bought the car i noticed there was a bit of damage, n/s sill and door both have dents but i used to work in a bodyshop and have a nice workshop now so everything will be gettin repaired, smoothed and resprayed.
977111_3106731045079_707960146_o.jpg

does anyone know a decent place to get a tin of paint from for my spraygun? havent really been able to find much. anyone got any advice on what to do to it first? one of my first mods will be a nice sport grill because i think they improve the look of the front end alot!

DCI100
Personally coil overs and either a good refurb in a nice colour or new wheels.

Sport grill would be nice like you said, then if your colour coding the side strips and bumpers your on to a winner.

Check my progress thread out for my dci it's a similar colour with white turbines :)

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
Personally I don't mind the sticker but each to their own I guess :) Yeh im thinking coilies. Anyone know and cheap coilovers? I'm not going to be going quick round corners, would rather looks tbh. No point trying to make a 1.2 something its not. im hoping to smooth the bumpers and colour code the side strips. I also want to get some 15 inch steels banded and sprayed white but that depends on funds. What do people think?

DCI100
Banded steels are expensive and you'll have a hard time fitting them in. Vmaxx are decent and fairly cheap or go really cheap and get a 200 quid set of t a technics

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
yeh I know thy are quite expensive. but its either banded steels or dished wheels so both will be expensive. it will be lowered on standard steelies first until I can afford some decent wheels. im planning to roll the arches to give me a bit of extra clearance. yeh vmaxx sound ok. someone also said about some other coilovers that are even cheaper but not to bad, cant think of the name though :/

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Yeah, each to their own mate.

Banded Steelies do look sick but as Owen pointed out... a lot of money and a lot of frustration when fitting them.

Honestly, if this is a first car or whatever, and it's the "biggest" engine you could insure or whatever, then keep it as standard as possible so when you come to sell it, it will appeal to all markets and then buy yourself something a bit nippier?

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
yeh I know they are a lot of money. i'm not really worried about speed tbh. I will be keeping this car for a few years so I just want to make it look good, I will be taking it to shows etc. what wheels would you suggest? idealy want 15s so I can go lower

DCI100
Turbines

OZ f1s

Turinis

172, 182 two wheels.

:) and a good detailing is needed if you want it to look good at shows.

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
I want something different though really, quite a lot of people have those wheels. what I might do is get some turinis and then when I have a bit more money try and get banded or dished wheels and have turinis as winter wheels. all depends on money though. yeh I know it needs detailing, that will all be done once the car has been repaired and sprayed.

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
yeh ive seen that car on the forum, thats the sort of stance i want tbh! but mine will all be colour coded, and instead of the yellow it will just be white? Does anyone know what width his wheels are?

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
ordered a couple bits last night, xenon blue sidelight bulbs, stubby aeriel, and a bung to de wiper the rear. only little bits at the minute but when i get paid on friday im going to order in some paint so i can repair the damage. i will take a picture of the dent tomorrow just to show you what im repairing.

also when i get paid i will be buying some clear side repeaters with silver bulbs, some silver indicator bulbs and also led numberplate and interior lights just to tidy it up a bit :)

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
yeh i know the little things all add up but i havent been paid yet so cant afford any big items. and even when i do get paid im trying to save as much money as i can for my insurance so its just going to be little parts for a while. one thing that will be bought tomorrow is the primer paint and lacquer so i think once the bumpers are smoothed and ive repaired the dent it will change the look of the car a lot.

yesterday i re wired my sub. the previous owner didnt bother to hide them and just had the wires going over the seats so i hid all the wires and also put a couple connectors on the wires for earth and power. looks alot tidier!

one thing i am on the lookout for is a 182 interior! my front seat has a little rip in it and i love the look of the 182 interior. if anyone has one let me know please!

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
got a little bit of progress and a couple of pictures as well..
WP_000089_zps5a7b09cd.jpg

WP_000085_zps4581a18a.jpg

here is a picture of my blue sidelights. was in the day so cant see them that well but I like them
WP_000083_zpsdc717359.jpg

picture of the dent
WP_000080_zps4270ea3a.jpg

picture of exhaust that will b going soon
WP_000079_zps134d8742.jpg

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
yeh it does look sick. its really making me want to hurry up and get mine smoothed! and makes me want banded steels so bad :/ does anyone know how wide his wheels are? or does anyone know whos car it is so I can find out?

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
ok, thanks for that. will try and find out what size they are :)
Well each to their own, I was hoping the sidelights would be more white but I still like them. im hopefully going to sort the rest of the dent out today and start colour coding and smoothing this week. also might remove rear wiper later and smooth off the insert instead of getting a bung

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
a bit more progress done yesterday. fitted my stubby aerial and removed my sidestrips. managed to get them sanded, primed and wet flatted ready for paint. also managed to paint my diamonds white. sidestrips and boot button will be sprayed tomorrow and will take some pics to upload onto here.

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
finally got a bit of progress done to the car. got a few pictures as well.

my smoothed rear wiper surround in primer. i thought i would smooth it instead of getting a bung becuase i think it looks a lot nicer.
WP_000090_zpsb53bceee.jpg

not sure why i got a picture of this but thought i may as well, fitted my stubby aeirel
WP_000096_zps1e466b92.jpg

sidestrips flatted and primed
WP_000093_zps911cfe8a.jpg

picture of my sidestrips painted, gun was playing up so not as good a finish as i was hoping but once i flat and polish them im sure they will look good.
WP_000093_zps911cfe8a.jpg

picture of my smoothed rear wiper surround painted and one of my blue bullets. i know lots of people like different colour bullets but in my opinion i think it looks quite nice all blue, looks more subtle and smoothed.
WP_000095_zps8fee871d.jpg

WP_000098_zps8901232f.jpg

heres a picture of my boot whilst it was being prepped. had a couple of scratches and ive also removed the holes where the clio badge was. boot is now fully prepped and will be getting painted on monday along with my dash strips, boot button and fuse box cover.
WP_000099_zpsc81bc58f.jpg

picture of my white diamond. i wasnt to sure on it when i painted it but now its on i quite like it.
WP_000100_zps14151a06.jpg

sidestrips fitted to car. once the car has had a full polish they should match a bit better. colour match isnt to bad though.
WP_000105_zps180f9be9.jpg

lastly my mate came down the yard today in his mini so thought it would be rude not to get a couple of pics.
WP_000104_zps240588e8.jpg

WP_000103_zps37a316f8.jpg

sorry about the big post and lots of random pictures. thought since i hadn't updated for a couple of days i would put all of my progress into one! hopefully this week i will get boot and other bits sprayed. spray door handles, finish repairing dent in sill and door and paint and then start smoothing the bumpers. removed my exhaust today as well and will be picking up a standard one this week and welding a 2.5 inch tip on to fill the cut out in the bumper. silvertech bulbs also on the way for front and rear!
any comment welcome :)

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
just noticed i posted a couple of the wrong pictures up. firstly the double post of primed sidestrips and also the one of primed wiper surround instead of painted! if anyone is interested this is the picture of sidestrips painted before fitting
WP_000101_zps5ff128f5.jpg

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
got a little update. firstly i fitted my silvertec bulbs. make quite a big difference to the front of the car in my opinion!
WP_000106_zps1fb05908.jpg

WP_000107_zps8109240a.jpg

also managed to get my dash strips, fuse box cover, gear insert, boot button and boot sprayed today. pics to follow..

boot sprayed base coat
WP_000109_zps2ae862f4.jpg

gear insert sprayed base coat
WP_000114_zpsed22fd5f.jpg

all bits sprayed and laquered
WP_000115_zpsd41eb686.jpg

Dash strip
WP_000116_zpse067f284.jpg

Boot
WP_000117_zps73936c78.jpg

WP_000118_zpsde2cc704.jpg

WP_000119_zps0f8aaab9.jpg

the boot was sprayed outside because i didnt have enough room inside the workshop. i dont think its a bad finish to be honest! bearing in mind it hasnt been polished or anything yet, this was just after it was sprayed and dry. i could have made it better but i still think it looks awesome, opinions wanted though :) at the end of the day, its not a show car and im only 18 and all the work is going to be done by myself so its not going to be perfect but im happy with it :)

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
finally had time to polish up my boot and build it up. also got my dash strips and fitted. quite a lot of work involved on the boot just to remove the two little holes where the badge was but in my opinion it looks a lot better and cleaner :)

WP_000122_zps3caa94ac.jpg

WP_000121_zps6d95fc78.jpg

WP_000123_zps99e548e9.jpg

WP_000124_zps8187d655.jpg

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
yeh im not going to go overboard. trying to keep it as subtle as i can :) im not sure on the wiper blank. i think it maybe be better in black? opinions? also does anyone else have any ideas on what else to do? still need to colour code the door handles and then its finish smoothing my bumpers and sort out my door and sill still

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
Right guys I need some help. I'm debating whether to smooth off my sidestrips. Doors and quarter panels need painting anyway due to little dings and scratches. I think it will look really nice smoothed and I know its a lot of work but I really want my car to stand out and prove that even though im 18 I can still build a nice looking car on my own, so any advise would be great :) on another note my rear bumper is in the process of being smoothed and should be ready for primer tomorrow.

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
Yeh both those mods will be happening. Just getting the bodywork all sorted while I have the time and then the other mods will happen. Opinion on getting rid of sidestrips??

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
not much of an update but took a couple of pictures while i was down the yard today.
my smoothed bumper, still needs a bit more work and then will be getting primed. ive plastic welded it underneath and then fibreglassed with a little skim of filler on top. i know people always say it will crack but ive smoothed a few bumpers for mates in the past and never had one crack.
WP_000131_zpsa2913156.jpg

second hand wing i bought. same colour as well! :) mine had a crack
WP_000128_zps9230e35f.jpg

couple pictures of car tucked up inside the workshop because im going away for a week and dont want it outside. you can also see the beetle and mini that are other projects ive got to do
WP_000130_zpse6526292.jpg

WP_000129_zpsb5e7a92e.jpg

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
so, a bit of progress done yesterday. got my rear bumper primed, still needs flatting and a bit more shaping to get the rear line and corners right but its getting there!
WP_000167_zpsa24ed3ba.jpg

also removed my front bump strip and got rid of the number plate recess.
firstly i plastic welded in a piece and the second picture is after one thin skim of a filler fibreglass mix. needs 1 more light skim and should be done.
WP_000166_zps4bbcd494.jpg

WP_000168_zps81584ea5.jpg

will get that finished tomorrow. i also fitted my second hand wing today because mine had a crack in it, didnt bother taking any pictures because everyone knows what a wing looks like.

i now need some advise. im in two minds what to do for the front bumper, obviously im smoothing the number plate recess and im also going to smooth the gaps where the corner strips meet the centre one so its just one extended bump strip, but im not sure whether to leave it like this and spray or to completely smooth the bumpstrip into the bumper? opinions wanted please? :) also opinions wanted on whether to remove and smooth sidestrips because i think it will give it a nice look but i just want to know whether people will think its worth it for the time i will spend doing it?

Clio 2 1.4 16v
This is one nice thread. Man, you've put in some elbow grease alrite into it.

The time vs energy vs effort put into the project only you can justify. I think it'll be cool to have a unique ride, just not so unique that it's overdone, but unique that it gets guys turning head twice wondering if they've seen something missing. Now that is a trick.

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
Thanks for that nice comment mate! Yeh I do want it to turn heads but the main reason im doing it is so im happy with hoe it looks and that I know when its finished that I've done everything myself :)

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
got my front bumpstrip smoothed and primed yesterday. still needs a couple bits sorting but nearly there :)
also look what just arrived!
WP_000174_zps0c70ad15.jpg

going to pick up a sport interior on saturday, including dash and plastics so i can get rid of my horrible colour dash!

Renault Clio Mk2 1.2
bit of an update today. managed to get my coilovers fitted but they need adjusting. rear needs to drop a bit more and then i will see what its like

only rears fitted, not that you can tell because they are still on a high setting
WP_000175_zps41f95397.jpg

fronts fitted
WP_000176_zpsd4791993.jpg

picture of the lows! i put the bumper on just to see what it looks like. bearing in mind there is no splitter on so i think i may need to come up a little bit!
WP_000177_zps4759fa56.jpg

WP_000178_zps6bec7744.jpg

also got a couple pictures with my mates project polo

WP_000181_zpscd0894e9.jpg

WP_000182_zps65aa3d7b.jpg

WP_000183_zps2ba91085.jpg

Also my biggest update today, went to bristol to meet a fellow member and pick up my 182 interior! literally everything, all trims included. due to this my whole interior apart from headlining will be for sale so if anything is needed let me know :)

WP_000179_zps7f57b02a.jpg

WP_000180_zps05f1539c.jpg