ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 starts fine, stalls when trying to rev, PLEASE HELP

Renault Clio 1.2
Hi,

I've recently been having problems with my 1.2 8v Clio (2000)

The problems seemed to start after I filled up my car from a Shell garage (If this is relevant) I had filled up twice that day both with £10, As I moved off out of the station the car just didn't have as much power, Struggled to speed up.

Anyway I put this down to maybe my driving, from then I headed down country roads (60mph) then realised I was only getting a response in the throttle in 5th gear & when moving off I had to get to atleast 3rd to stop the car juddering (as 1st & 2nd felt like it was going to stall)

I got home & the next morning the car would not rev at all, soon as I revved it stalled, I called a mobile mechanic and he told me that the fault car the 1st HT lead or the coil pack, as when he messed on with the HT lead the car actually revving gradually, again 1st & 2nd gear were very short as felt I was over revving at around 1500rpm but that lasted the day after changing both the coil pack & HT lead.

Next day, started fine, stalled when revved. Messed on with the HT lead again & it ran but very poor, even 3rd & 4th would only stutter along at around 10mph. I got an auto-electrian out & his diagnosis was a blocked CAT.

the car was left at the previous garage for a week as it needed moved to a garage with ramps, I turned up to tow it & when I started it lost all idle revs & stalled within seconds,

Had the CAT replaced & now it starts fine but will not rev up.

I'm stuck with what it could be, I'm wondering if I was sold contaminated fuel at all?

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Renault Clio 1.2
Also, the old garage ran it on the machine & came back with Air Temp Sensor Circuit - Active, not sure on error code, but could this really cause the car to stall when trying to rev,

If I rev up slowly I can sometimes get it to 2000rpm while in neutral, Soon as it's in gear & hit the bite on the clutch the revs drop & stalls.

Having an absolute nightmare with this, only had 2 days use out of the car.

Any help would be great, Thanks!

Renault Clio 1.2
I tried this briefly tried this, never took it off to clean just sort of scrubbed it with a toothbrush but didn't make much difference? I have heard to spray something into the throttle body?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Use some throttle body/carb cleaner, wouldn't spray while engine running though - itll cut out! Use a wrag and some carb cleaner.

Did you replace spark plugs? If not, id clean then up then think about changing them.

Renault Clio 1.2
The mobile mechanic checked them & said it's not a problem but will have the garage check them

​Thanks

Suzuki Ignis Sport
They're like £20 for a set, just replace them providing you can afford it. Might aswell change the spark plugs with the coilpack, they're connected.. makes sense!

Renault Clio 1.2
​So the mechanic was about to replace the fuel pump when he realised there was a kink in the fuel pipe, straightened that out & now is full of life.

Thanks for all the input & hope this can help someone else.