ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.4 poor MPG

Scirocco GT 2.0
Hi All,

I have a Mk3 Clio 1.4 with about 120 miles on the clock and i'm only getting about 34mpg tops at the moment? will this improve as the engine runs in, or is 34mpg all I can expect?

I thought i'd get nearer 40mpg at least :S

Cheers,

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
on a long run sorta 40mph-70mph u will see 40mpg+
driving around town going through the gears stopping and starting it wont be so great, 34 is about rite for town driving

Never above 25mpg
I vary from 34-36mpg town driving and I have a mk2 ph2 1.4 16v, sounds about right to be honest :)
Motorway miles will be the best for proper economic mpg

MX5 MK2.5 SVT 1.8 Sport
Really??? Mine gets up to sixty mpg on country lanes! Whats the point of having a 1.4 if it does 20ish mpg? Also if the engine is new there is more friction reducing mpg. Using v-power would be good as it lubricates the bore

Scirocco GT 2.0
Really??? Mine gets up to sixty mpg on country lanes! Whats the point of having a 1.4 if it does 20ish mpg? Also if the engine is new there is more friction reducing mpg. Using v-power would be good as it lubricates the bore

yeah exactly, I used to get 43+ on my 1.2 punto n there can't be that much difference between a 1.2 and 1.4 economy wise surely? especially a modern engine.

We don't have a Shell round here, I am going to be putting 99 Octane Super Unleaded from Tesco in on every 4th fill up though.

MX5 MK2.5 SVT 1.8 Sport
Sounds like a plan, iv found a 1.4 k4j, if its maintained well, is better full stop than the 1.2 being far more efficient. Sould be better around 1000 miles + as parts like the cat and bearing need use mate :)

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Found NO diffrence running my old 1.2 on optimax at all! other than the cost lol, tried it on the 172.. noticed a diffrence.. then got it re-mapped - group n, just had to put normal in that = ruff :dapprove: .. shell optimax is sold out every in all 3 garages i pass on the way to work :( , i re-fuse to pay bp prices, b******s!

MX5 MK2.5 SVT 1.8 Sport
I usually get an extra 5mpg but now i only do it every so often to clean the engine out, shell around me is fine :rasp:

Scirocco GT 2.0
Found NO diffrence running my old 1.2 on optimax at all! other than the cost lol, tried it on the 172.. noticed a diffrence.. then got it re-mapped - group n, just had to put normal in that = ruff :dapprove: .. shell optimax is sold out every in all 3 garages i pass on the way to work :( , i re-fuse to pay bp prices, b*****ds!

lol, I used to use it more often than not in my punto and found if I did 2/3 fill ups of 99 Super Unleaded and went back to normal 95 Unleaded it juddered around and was as rough as shite and a lot less ooomff..

Last edited:
  Scirocco GT 2.0
2500 miles later and i'm still struggling to get 34mpg. damn, lol. BUT I have noticed if I have 3/4 people in the car I get better mpg than when its just me!

Strange

Scirocco GT 2.0
2500 miles later and i'm still struggling to get 34mpg. damn, lol. BUT I have noticed if I have 3/4 people in the car I get better mpg than when its just me!

Strange

Scirocco GT 2.0

Strange

Scirocco GT 2.0
4000 miles later and I am now struggling to get 32/33!

Can everyone post their avg. MPG? (mainly looking for 1.4 comparisons)

Thanks!

Then i'm going to print it off and chuck it renaults face, lol!

Soz about all the reposts on this page btw, think CS was going through some downtime at that moment, and I was getting frisky with the post button, lol^

Last edited:
  proton compact 1.3 GLi
reset your computer go for a drive but change gear at 2000 rpm and u should see a big difference

Scirocco GT 2.0
Ok dudes,

As an experiment, I went down a 8 mile stretch of an A Road just now, keeping at dead on 70, 5th gear (obviously) trying every trick in the book, no radio, no heater, no fan, just the lights.

Just me in the car, no other weight, recently had oil change/1st year service. No traffic, just sailed down, didn't touch brakes and sailed to a stop.

and I got the grand total of 36.8MPG, Crap. and as it does usually, once I drive through chelmsford a couple of times, that will soon drop to 32 no problem.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Have you actually worked out the MPG or just replying on the comp?

Scirocco GT 2.0
Have you actually worked out the MPG or just replying on the comp?

Yeah I've worked the MPG over last month looking how much money i've spent on petrol coz i had an empty tank at the start of the month.

I did 800/850 miles and spent £120-30 on petrol, do the math ;) lol I don't want to do the calculations again coz I get angry.

Especially as I know for a fact that a 4.2 V8 Supercharged Range Rover can do 31 at a push.

Last edited:
  350Z GT
My 1.6 16v Megane with 58k on the clock only gets 27mpg when driving around, best its had in my ownership is about 32. Pretty depressing to say the least...must be my driving style!

Chelsea tractor
I have a mk2 1.4 16v and my daily trundle to work has given 44.2mpg over the past 800 miles :) Ironically the Merc gives about the same, but I don't have it up here (space is too small :()

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Iv had about 53 on lanes
I got 47 on the way to leeds fest with a passenger, loads of bags and tents, and a few crates haha.
1.2 8v mk2 ph4 btw, so no need to feel jealous haha

Scirocco GT 2.0
pics? I think that's tosh :rasp:

I'll have to take a snap next time it gets close.

100% Gospel, Driving from Chelmsford => Brighton Marina, got up to 31 on the M25.

I was like :eek::eek: your getting more than my Clio!

(most of the time the rangey does about 12 though tbh, lol)

Pic of the car in question, (All environmentalists look away now)..

348464-1.jpg

Scirocco GT 2.0
Ok dudes,

As an experiment, I went down a 8 mile stretch of an A Road just now, keeping at dead on 70, 5th gear (obviously) trying every trick in the book, no radio, no heater, no fan, just the lights.

Just me in the car, no other weight, recently had oil change/1st year service. No traffic, just sailed down, didn't touch brakes and sailed to a stop.

and I got the grand total of 36.8MPG, Crap. and as it does usually, once I drive through chelmsford a couple of times, that will soon drop to 32 no problem.
Go out and thrash the living f**k out of it.
That's my next experiment ;)

Ok first of all I thought DrRollo was Joking.

However, in the name of science (and my pleasure) this afternoon I took it round some B Roads and absolutely thrashed the f**k out of the clio, keeping within speed limits of course.

I then did the same experiment again (8 mile stretch of the A12) same conditions, no traffic etc..

The results is:

P151108_152401.jpg

Far more respectable! :approve:

Cheers DrRollo I owe you one!.

So there you go, if you want decent MPG, forget any eco driving bollax and put some lead shoes on.
*I am not to be held responsible for the outcome of the above. ;)

I also realised my clio would be far better round corners at speed if I had it lowered, lol. Got kinda worrying as it flopped around like a boat! *changes boxers*

Last edited:
  Evo 8 MR
Yeah exactly your engine gets bogged down with city driving and changing gear at 2000rpm doesnt give it chance to breathe, if it were a diesel then yeah but with petrol engines nowadays they are designed to be revved high thats the whole point in having 16 valves but obviously don't do it all the time just once a week and then through the week normal driving you should get decent mpg.

I got about 34-36 in my 1600 16v mk2 ph2 with using that method thrashing it too much saw it go down to about 31-32 thats when you know its time to let off, a mate of mine though he thrashed his 1400 16v mk2 ph2 everywhere even from cold and his saw 28 at best.