ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.4 Sport - 1st car

350Z GT
Hey all!

i havnt posted on here much but have been reading around a fair bit.
Ive been offered a
1.4 Clio Sport 16v - Y reg so not sure what phase etc

not sure if its any good but its at a dealer atm for £2995 but i can take it off their hands for £2000 as i know the owner of the dealer - the person who offered it me.

Just wondered if the car would be good for a 1st car, what insurance would be like etc.

Im 16, 17 in 4 days although i already know how to drive a bit - been driving in a field for years, also not sure what insurance is like but ive got about £4500-£5000 to spend on the car altogether.

Ive always liked the look of the Phase 1 172, obviously not realistic for a 1st car but this looks a bit like 1 of them just wondered if it would be possible to put some parts from that in this, interior, body panels etc ?

any other stuff about this car would be awesome as i seriously dont have a clue if its any good or not... its got about 65k miles with FSH and looks clean inside + out.

visualize whirled pe
it seems like a good price but at around 68k I replaced the cambelt (Renault recommend at 72k mile or 5 year) a cambelt service is going to cost you around £300.

Also you are only young, I don't want to sound negative but the insurers will be rubbing their hands together when they see you comming along with a 1.4 and they'll bend you over if you start adding parts from a 172.

Tbh I'd be suprised if you'd have any change left over after buying the car, doing the service and getting insured for a year as standard. Start modding it and you'll be looking at doubling the insurance at your age.

My advice, bit boring..... get a 1.2 clio or a 1.0 micra and live with that for a few years and get the 172 you actually want when you are a bit older.

172 cup'd extreme
Check insurance group some "sports" are group 10 where as a 1.4 dynamique is group 4 both same power.

350Z GT
thanks for the tips, im still not greatly sure about it, and definately not sure about modifying it if i were to get it - after ^^ probably wouldnt.

i just think for the price of £2000 it would defo be worth it and im thinking a service would be included, i know the person quite well and he owns the dealership so im sure i could get 1 thrown into the deal and will makesure i check the cambelt service etc

Ive checked the insurance prices on confused and other sites and it dont seem to be over £1300 which is ok.

thanks for the info ^^ and i'll post to say how i get on :)

was black/gold ff 182
go for it mate will be a nice first car that , just don't think you can drive yet it's a lot harder on the road when you are poodling behind o.a.p's on the isle of white lol

Clio 1.2 16v
that insurance is dirt cheap. when i was 17 i tryed to insure my car 3rd part fire n theft and it was £2.500, now im 18 its gone down a grand.