ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.6 16v

I was just wandering what these cars are like, performance wise? Im looking for a newer and faster car than my 1.4RT. I was going to get a valver but cant justify spending £3K+ on a car older than mine that costs a bomb to run/repair.

So im wanderin what these new clios are like? Its a shame they dont come in a 1.8. Its either a 1. or 2L 172 and i cant afford to insure a 172. Ive also been looking at a brand new VTS as they are only £9995 with 1 years free insurance at the mo. have renault got any good offers on at the moment?

So what do you lot recon? Which is better and why?

Cheers Phil

I would go for a VTS unless you can afford to run/insure a Valver. Cant go wrong for £10k and free insurance really!

The 1.6 16v was initially called the "16v", then "RSi" in Mk2 Phase1. At the end of Phase1 and now in Phase2, its just another engine option for the various trim levels. Its obviously got some poke, but its not designed to be a hot hatch like a VTS/16v/172 etc.

well mines does shift for a 1.6 keeps up with alot of cars (standards not no gtis or that), not forgeting the 110bhp as standard engine , i went for this car for exactly the same reason casue i wanted a quick cheap car that wasnt goign into the an early grave, n e way i love me 1.6 16v wouldnt swap it at the moment. n e way i am only just 18 so its just rite

:)

Skoda Fabia vRS

you should be able to blag a years insurance on one even if they dont offer it

but, for the money the VTS might be the best option......

Clio 1.6 16V

Ive currently got a 2003 and had a 2001 dynamique + and a 2000 1.6 16V sport in the past. Personally (biased!) I think they are the best all round model in the Clio range. Handles pretty well, reasonably nippy, sits all day on the motorway at 80ish and still returns around 40 to the gallon. A warm hatch that catches a few people out ..... well apart from the side badge it looks like the road majority of 1.2 16V dynamiques out there (no disrespect).

but thats the beauty of them

look very understated, yet have a little bit of poke to surprise the bigger fish

Ive just seen that the saxo VTS only has free insurance for over 21s. Do you recon i could blag it or get some extra cash off as im only 19??

it will be 500 off the list price if you dont qualify for the free insurance

well thats vauxhalls arrangement anyway, not sure about sh|troen though,

but insurance for u21s on a vts will murder you

Ive had a quote of £1300 on a brand new VTS, not bad. But if they will only give me £500 for not having the insurance then i might look into getting a second hand one.

I went for a test drive in one yesterday and, WOW it blew my socks off. Probably because my RT is the fastest car ive been in.

Dont forget ( im trying to stop my anti saxo speech...) that after you have paid 10k for a car and got your years free insurance you do actaully have to reinsure it the year after!!!

Think thats why you find loads of them cheap ( especially the vtr) cos people cant afford to reinsure and are still paying $$$ each month for them.

Get the clio, any engine, you know it makes sense.

If i get a VTS it will have to be the phase 2 or whatever they call it. The ones after W reg as they look nicer.

What is the tuning potential of the clio 1.6 16v like?? Also what is the 0-60 time like?

I think the Clio is alot more car for the money than the VTS. Plus the Clio is a lot bigger when you park the two next to each other.

Spec levels in the 1.6 Dynamique are WAY higher than any Saxo, but I do see the attraction to one of the quickest 1600 hatches out there

Why not compare the the clio to the vtr-i cant think of an aspect where the saxo wins and the only place where the vts wins is speed-by quite a bit too