ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 138

ClioIII 138 S
Just ordered my new Clio 138 Dynamique S. Looks bout 1st march they have built it and have it ready for me :) Cant wait! Double power of my little 1.4. Im only 18 and have been quoted £1300 for insurance. Just thought i would let you all know :)

Mégane RS
I like the dynamique clio 138 S but the GT's out soon, i might wait for that or a 207

M135i
good old boy. drove the one i did that little report on again the other day. had 1500 miles on it, losening up quite nicely.

Renault are slowly losing the plot... very disappointing :(

Nonsense

well we'll have to agree to disagree, but the 197 isn't exactly a move in the right direction. You may disagree, sales figures may disagree, but in terms of performance it's a huge step backwards. I'd certainly not touch one, the 182 was the last 'proper' Renault Sport in most people's eyes, hardly any one's upgraded from here (if you can call it an upgrade).

Now a 182 with no rattles and decent build quality and that engine would have been perfect :approve:

Turbos.
Whatever people say on here we are still the minority of potential owners. Sales figures are the only truth that matter at the end of the day. I would certainly be interested how many 197s Renault sell in comparison to the 172/182.

Let's just hope Jeremy puts in a good word from us!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
lol at the 197 haters! birng it on! i've got all day!!!

if any of you are driving mk2 172's you'll eat my dust. welcome to the slowest RS!! the mk2 172 come on down!!!

if you drive a 182/172cup, fairplay your car is slightly quicker, but sadly cup boys, i'll have you in the twisties! ;)

i do miss the rattles though....

Most people disagree with Jeremy on the 197 issue.

yup, seems accurate. I'd be interested to know how many people went from 172's to 182's as I'd guess a hell of a lot, however how many have migrated from a 182 to a 197? Probably not many as it's seen as a downgrade by most... I can however understand Jeremy's viewpoint, as he works for Renault he's bound to say otherwise.

From all accounts the 197 handles a bit better, but to the average Joe the straight line power is easier to extract than getting the car to handle that little bit better, as lets be real, most people on here are not race drivers and don't drive to the cars limits as it is.

Seb - a stock Williams with renewed suspension would still pan you in the twisties, it's the best handling FWD car I've experienced, even better than the legendary DC2 imo.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
for shizzle jon, but i ain't talking old skool cool, i'm talking about the chav chariots ;) (i jest, takemy comment re the chav chariot with a pinch of salt, i don't want to start a war!)

the willy is a legend in it's own right and doesn't deserve to be compared imo. different era and different car. i would love to drive a willy to see what all the fuss is about tbh.

cup 182 mit stripes
The only thing wrong with 197 IMO is lack of power, everything else I liked. Face it Seb, the darned thing's gutless.

true yeah, I was massively let down by the crap handling on the 172 Ph1, it's utter garbage and that's on coilovers. Few weeks back was having a do with a 645i BMW and I tried to take a round about I could take at 70+ in the Williams at about 60mph and almost came unstuck in spectacular fashion! lol

Different ero very true, however I think you can compare it as it's that much ahead of it's time... if I'm stupid enough to ever buy another Clio and get a 182 Cup pack or a Trophy and get a few months in it behind me to get fully used to it I'd still be surprised if it was even in the same league tbh, I guess it depends how much an improvement they are over the Ph1 172... cant be that hard, even though I suppose it's better than most other non Reno hot hatches in that respect.

As jack says, it's the power that would stop me buying one, I'd expect it to be better in every way, especially with Nissan build influence, that's the rattles and usual problems of quality hopefully sorted out... all they need to do now is get Nissan to make them a decent engine to shift all that weight. The Jap Almera (aka Pulsar) VZR N1 was making 200bhp from and NA 1.6, so give them the engine to do and you cant lose really

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
The only thing wrong with 197 IMO is lack of power, everything else I liked. Face it Seb, the darned thing's gutless.

nah i totally disagree tbh. it's faster than mk2 172's :)

it is definetely decieving on its speed form within the dirvers seat. i look down and don't realise how quick i am going.

i don't deny a 182 will do it in a straight line at present but form autocars reprot and form people on renaultsport.co.uk the engine frees up a whole lot at 6k miles and gives some more grunt at 3500prpm, so that should be interesting. only covered 2k so far.

i am gonig down to see my bro soon and he has a 12k 182, so i want to see if he'll give me a few in gear compariosns etc. will be interesting.

Turbos.
Has Autocar published peformance details?

On paper the 197 has a massive 3bhp per ton advantage over a PH2 172. Obviously having extra power will help top end but my 172 is at least faster than the two 197s i have driven on the same stretch of road.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Has Autocar published peformance details?

On paper the 197 has a massive 3bhp per ton advantage over a PH2 172. Obviously having extra power will help top end but my 172 is at least faster than the two 197s i have driven on the same stretch of road.

lol i jest ;) all this tlak of paper figures is rubbish imo, one 172 can give out a massively differnet figure to another 172. i expect the same form the 197's aswell.

autocar has a long term tester now. first report was this week.

Turbos.
You're right...

I challenge you to a duel. Blindfolded to add a bit of spice, seeing as we have the two slowest RS models.

al

ST on the way...

if any of you are driving mk2 172's you'll eat my dust. welcome to the slowest RS!! the mk2 172 come on down!!!

if you drive a 182/172cup, fairplay your car is slightly quicker, but sadly cup boys, i'll have you in the twisties! ;)

One word for you Seb..........Trophy.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

One word for you Seb..........Trophy.

i don't acknoweldge the trophy, overpriced pap ;)

can't comment, never dirven one, probably never will.

133/225/CLS AMG
Nice one with regard to the 138 Clio, nice car to have at such a young age!! :D

With regard to the 197, only thing I'd say about it is. If you bought it full price from Renault you've been done, bought my Meg 225 for less and I feel you still get more car for you money.

Get it on discount or from a broker and it'd be more worth it. Shame its not as quick as the 182 but its still no slouch so not too many people would be bothered about that.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i don't acknoweldge the trophy, overpriced pap ;)

I wonder if a 197 could keep pace with an M6 like the Trophy did in the Evo test? ;)

well if we are talking corners, undoubtably, straight line... i don't think so! ;)

on a serious note i am amazed at eh 197's grip. i have and do tkae corners that my 182 felt seriosuly twitchy on at approx ten mph more. the 197 feels planted and secure. really did amaze me. i ain't a quick driver but i could not bleieve how quick you can sling a 197 into a corner.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Nice one with regard to the 138 Clio, nice car to have at such a young age!! :D

With regard to the 197, only thing I'd say about it is. If you bought it full price from Renault you've been done, bought my Meg 225 for less and I feel you still get more car for you money.

Get it on discount or from a broker and it'd be more worth it. Shame its not as quick as the 182 but its still no slouch so not too many people would be bothered about that.

indeed, bit of a thread hijack here but i couldn't let the 197 be spoken about as it was ;)

the 138 will be a cracking car! :D

hope you enjoy the car m8.....love that new car feeling.

i find it amazing that ppl never get on with other ppl's opinions / comments , i'd like to comment on the clio197 v clio mkII but i wont .....:eek:

the 138 does look like a 197 though .....have fun

Depends where really... on a greasy tight lane then a Clio would deliver ownage.

yeah, that's where the Hollywood element comes into it, stack all the odds in the Clio's favour... hey, if the M6 cant get down the lane because it's too tight then it's a win for the Clio imo! ;) lol

C

clio172cup20

i do miss the rattles though....

197 is the slowest, biggest and uglyest clio EVER.

And who on earth would play 17k+ for a CLIO!!!!!

And the end of the day its still a clio.

ClioIII 138 S
Hmm i think the engine in the 138 is more compared to a laguna then the 197. Im also getting it in the new 'nocturn' colour which is a very dark metalic purple/mauve. Gone for ESP, auto wipers / lights, xenons, 197 seats. Cant wait!! :approve:

Hmm i think the engine in the 138 is more compared to a laguna then the 197. Im also getting it in the new 'nocturn' colour which is a very dark metalic purple/mauve. Gone for ESP, auto wipers / lights, xenons, 197 seats. Cant wait!! :approve:

Not sure what you mean by having 197 seats but the rest sounds very nice. Good colour choice too !